• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Rime of the Frostmaiden magic items

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Well done for managing to be rude using someone else’s words.

I made it clear I wasn’t referring to adventurers league as that has additional items for balance in other campaigns.

I made it clear that I would restrict magic items when the campaign made it appropriate and not as standard.

I have no earthly idea why you think a poorly written, condescending snippet from a 25 year old book would be relevant today. A 5e character is a very very different animal to an AD&D one as I suspect you know. They have far more resources.

Play your games as you like. I don’t agree with your premise that a wide range of magic weapons are essential in the game.
We are talking about a hardcover adventure book written by the industry leading ttrpg company not "my game", not "your game"
unless one of us is personally named on
1607732890145.png
both games are utterly irrelevant to the point & I suspect you knew that on some level when you changed the subject instead of addressing the points. It is extremely relevant that wotc appears to be removing treasure from hardcover adventures in order to place it back in through that season's AL rules without so much as providing a shred of guidance to the GMs running the adventure outside AL. The advice about one narrow responsibility the gm has in that "25 year old book" is just as applicable today as it was back then. Not only is it entirely relevant today it clearly & succinctly conveys exactly why this apparent choice on WotC's part is simply reprehensible. As @MichaelSomething said, 5e is based on that 25 year old book & the section in question is about player motivation/gm skills rather than anything system specific

Last edited:

TheSword

Legend
We are talking about a hardcover adventure book written by the industry leading ttrpg company not "my game", not "your game"
unless one of us is personally named on
both games are utterly irrelevant to the point & I suspect you knew that on some level when you changed the subject instead of addressing the points. It is extremely relevant that wotc appears to be removing treasure from hardcover adventures in order to place it back in through that season's AL rules without so much as providing a shred of guidance to the GMs running the adventure outside AL. The advice about one narrow responsibility the gm has in that "25 year old book" is just as applicable today as it was back then. Not only is it entirely relevant today it clearly & succinctly conveys exactly why this apparent choice on WotC's part is simply reprehensible. As @MichaelSomething said, 5e is based on that 25 year old book & the section in question is about player motivation/gm skills rather than anything system specific
There’s plenty of advice in the current DMG about placing magic items. There are pages of tables and instruction on when to use them. Along with the advice of switch things out when you think it’s appropriate.

You’re asking for the writers to tell you what magic items should be available when in truth the right magic items will be entirely dependent on your party make up. Which the writers can’t know. Would you like them to tell you which character builds the adventure should include as well?

TheSword

Legend
Because Dungeons and Dragons was BUILT from condescending snippets from decades old books?
It improved on condescending snippets and luckily removed the condescending elements from them. It moved away from bad-wrong-fun advice like that towards accepting that there’s a plurality of gaming styles and one size doesn’t fit all.

In 40 years of D&D when a module included a magic item that was irrelevant to a party, what happened? They changed the magic item.

All we’re talking about is changing magic items here to suit the campaign. You want more, change it. I want less, I change it.

Incidentally that applies to every module every written for pretty much every campaign.

shifting all f the +N bonuses 5e left out to different mechanical "qualitative gimmicks" would make life extremely difficult for a gm who needs to consider all currently in print classes races feats magic items, all possible to be printed items, & all personally created ones for ho they combine 2&3+ steps to avoid inadvertent punpun & locate city bomb type combos along with lesser but still deeply problematic combos
The DM doesn't have to consider any of that any more that he does now with the host of magic items that do things other than "+1 to math" in the DMG. The game hasn't fallen apart because there are different classes, feats, races, etc exist. That's how it already works.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
The DM doesn't have to consider any of that any more that he does now with the host of magic items that do things other than "+1 to math" in the DMG. The game hasn't fallen apart because there are different classes, feats, races, etc exist. That's how it already works.
Don't get me wrong, there is a place for mechanically distinct weapons, it's just that the particular place exists in conjunction with +1 & such as they fill different roles in character development

Remove ads