D&D 5E Rime of the Frostmaiden Post-Mortem (Spoilers)

BenTheFerg

Explorer
Yes.
I have been running Rime on Roll20.
Did so to save the effort of all the bureaucracy of adding material into Roll20 which I was doing for my Eberron homebrew.
Thought to myself: I'll run a premade campaign since adding stuff on Roll20 is a be-atch!
That went well! 🤣🤣🤣
Having said that, I have still really enjoyed running it.
Bit it would have been better face to face..... but given the circumstances.... better Roll20 than nothing!

Retreater

Legend
This is true, but I find it helps to not buy the adventure through the VTT, rather to transfer it over from another medium. Then you can do the customisation at the same time. It's a lot more work that way though.
Sadly, I don't think there's another way to get official content digitally. Wizards doesn't sell PDFs.
So you're buying on VTT or I guess DND Beyond - but I don't think DND Beyond actually lets you share and "play with" the content, load it into a VTT, etc. My experience is it's just sort of paying to read articles on your smartphone - with a UI that I don't like.

Retreater

Legend
Having said that, I have still really enjoyed running it.
Bit it would have been better face to face..... but given the circumstances.... better Roll20 than nothing!
For me, I'd have preferred running my own homebrew adventure. Which I think is the way I'll go forward with WotC content.
Paizo gets one more chance. ;)

BenTheFerg

Explorer
Played Abomination Vaults. It absolutely has these same glaring problems. Including a completely stocked dungeon that has never been explored that is 15-minutes from a medium sized town on the most densely populated island in Golarion and several hundred apex predators living within a single complex in apparent balance.
Having only read it and started prepping it to run in PF2e, I would have to disagree.

This from memory (I am away from home atm).... but the surface threats are not great to the local population.... but are planning a raid or 2.... and lots of the initial levels have plenty of undead - who are based in the complex.
It doesn't have the plot holes of Rime, let alone the glaring errors in BG: DiA or W: DH.
I just don't see the comparison.

Primarily, as has been said time & again: we need to hold WotC to the highest standards.

And as I stated, other smaller companies (Pagan Publishing & Chaosium) have both written logical, well researched campaigns in the freezing cold.... why can't WotC do the same?

"Like Curse of Strahd nearly was or Phandelver". Or stuff from Kobold Press tends to be-they need go to back to this . Even the new Mercer adventure suffers from not out of box
I always find different players experiences with the hardcovers interesting. I have to admit, I don’t regard CoS as highly as many of the players here.

BenTheFerg

Explorer
For me, I'd have preferred running my own homebrew adventure. Which I think is the way I'll go forward with WotC content.
Paizo gets one more chance. ;)
I am too time poor at the moment & prefer riffing off material. Hopefully we are returning to F2F gaming which makes things easier. I fear the pandemic has broken my game group.... hopefully I am wrong! 🤞🏼

Sadly, I don't think there's another way to get official content digitally.
I've used my phone to photograph maps out of print books. You can save images to a computer from D&D Beyond. Stat blocks you have to do manually though.
For me, I'd have preferred running my own homebrew adventure.
I mostly run homebrew adventures. I run out of ideas periodically though.

Retreater

Legend
This from memory (I am away from home atm).... but the surface threats are not great to the local population.... but are planning a raid or 2.... and lots of the initial levels have plenty of undead - who are based in the complex.
It doesn't have the plot holes of Rime, let alone the glaring errors in BG: DiA or W: DH.
I just don't see the comparison.
It has errors. Maybe not the same errors as Rime (or as many), but it's far from perfect (at least in my opinion). And it's largely considered the "killer app" for PF2.
I don't think there are plot holes in AV, because there's effectively no plot to it. There is no motivation for the party to go into the dungeon, no connection to Otari, no setup.
Wrin has been kidnapped by a ghoul cult operating on the outskirts of Otari. They find out that Belcorra is reawakening and wanting to destroy Otari - and Absalom next. This makes the party want to go into the dungeon and try to stop Belcorra. Boom. I did what the Paizo team couldn't do in three sentences - I gave a point to Abomination Vaults.

I am too time poor at the moment & prefer riffing off material. Hopefully we are returning to F2F gaming which makes things easier. I fear the pandemic has broken my game group.... hopefully I am wrong! 🤞🏼
I hope you're wrong too. I doubt I'll ever get back to playing regularly in person. I've played at a few convention games, friends getting together for an annual hang-out, and then randomly played twice with two people I met at a bar. As far as regular games go, I don't think it's even possible for me anymore. In my area, we no longer have the social structures in place to meet. No meetups at the local game stores. No game nights at the bars.
It's a weird dichotomy. We're told gaming has never been more popular, but to me it's as if gaming has ceased to exist. All my friends have had babies during the pandemic or moved out of state. I would have to rebuild the entire network of gaming in my town.

BenTheFerg

Explorer
It has errors. Maybe not the same errors as Rime (or as many), but it's far from perfect (at least in my opinion). And it's largely considered the "killer app" for PF2.
I don't think there are plot holes in AV, because there's effectively no plot to it. There is no motivation for the party to go into the dungeon, no connection to Otari, no setup.
Wrin has been kidnapped by a ghoul cult operating on the outskirts of Otari. They find out that Belcorra is reawakening and wanting to destroy Otari - and Absalom next. This makes the party want to go into the dungeon and try to stop Belcorra. Boom. I did what the Paizo team couldn't do in three sentences - I gave a point to Abomination Vaults.

I hope you're wrong too. I doubt I'll ever get back to playing regularly in person. I've played at a few convention games, friends getting together for an annual hang-out, and then randomly played twice with two people I met at a bar. As far as regular games go, I don't think it's even possible for me anymore. In my area, we no longer have the social structures in place to meet. No meetups at the local game stores. No game nights at the bars.
It's a weird dichotomy. We're told gaming has never been more popular, but to me it's as if gaming has ceased to exist. All my friends have had babies during the pandemic or moved out of state. I would have to rebuild the entire network of gaming in my town.
Sorry to hear that Retreater. Wishing you all the best in restarting a group.

With you on the hook in the AV. It's non-existent.

But..... once you set it up, it seems to be able to run itself.

And there is a story to be teased out of the clues. A mystery. Which players encounter layer by layer...

I have never run a dungeon bash before. None appealed until AV came along. I actually like it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Remove ads