D&D 5E Rime of the Frostmaiden Previews Include a Scroll of Tarrasque Summoning

Some D&D designers and freelancers have been sharing previews of what's inside Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden. Take a look!

Some D&D designers and freelancers have been sharing previews of what's inside Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden. Take a look!

When a wizard puts their brain inside a helmless horror.

spikey.jpg

David Sladek

A ring of warmth.

warm.jpg

Claudio Pozas

And this last item... perhaps the less said the better? Ouch!

tarrasque.jpg

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Summon the grognard is he B side of that scroll
I started playing in 1979. Back then, Dragon magazine was full of people doing things like learning the "Wall" language, so they could interrogate the dungeon as to its contents.

There was no golden age where people weren't trying to "breaking the game," any more than kids shooting each other with imaginary guns ever did so consistently and fairly.

MarkB

Legend
The only thing I dislike about the scroll is that its implementation feels too mundane and ordinary, just popping a Tarrasque into existence, and then popping it back out when it dies.

Something like this should be the equivalent of a pre-formulated Wish spell, altering the fabric of reality so that it turns out that the Tarrasque has always been here, slumbering beneath this chosen spot, and is just now waking up and tearing it's way out of the ground.

dave2008

Legend
The only thing I dislike about the scroll is that its implementation feels too mundane and ordinary, just popping a Tarrasque into existence, and then popping it back out when it dies.

Something like this should be the equivalent of a pre-formulated Wish spell, altering the fabric of reality so that it turns out that the Tarrasque has always been here, slumbering beneath this chosen spot, and is just now waking up and tearing it's way out of the ground.
I don't know if the preview we have seen is the whole thing or not, but I agree it feels like it needs some more build-up or backstory or something. To be clear, I don't mind the scroll - I just think it needs some more oomph. This may or may not be provided outside of the preview we have seen so far.

Remove ads

Remove ads