Rippaverse +(ish)

Guang

Explorer
New comics company, strong start, first issue Isom #1 coming out soon. Would love to hear more about it or more what everybody thinks of it
+(ish) please - as in, I'm just happy that there's a new comics universe being born. Feel free to share what you like or dislike. Just please don't make this thread into rejecting the entire project because of how evil and scumlike the creators are, if that's your view.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I can understand being happy that there's a new comic line coming out. And I'm good with folks taking a stab at a different business model for comics.

Eric July's stated motivation for the new line, though, suggests to me that I am not in the intended market.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
For those of us who have no idea what this is, can someone provide a basic description? I'm having flashbacks to when Spawn first came out.

Ryujin

Legend
I can understand being happy that there's a new comic line coming out. And I'm good with folks taking a stab at a different business model for comics.

Eric July's stated motivation for the new line, though, suggests to me that I am not in the intended market.
The almost immediate Reddit ban doesn't make me hopeful.

Guang

Explorer
For those of us who have no idea what this is, can someone provide a basic description? I'm having flashbacks to when Spawn first came out.
I think they're going to build an interconnected set of stories like DC and Marvel have been doing for decades, but with a commitment to not undo previous stories with time travel or alternate worlds. They're also going to keep a detailed timeline that they're going to fit every story into.

First issue is a retired superhero that has to get back in the game to help a relative.

That's as much as I can figure out. They have a website and a couple intro videos, and apparently made a truckload of money to launch their shared universe with a kickstarter-type thing

Guang

Explorer
The almost immediate Reddit ban doesn't make me hopeful.
I find the Reddit ban very strange. It does make it more difficult to find discussions of the product line to read through. When I searched for info I had found news of the ban, which is why I added the +(ish) to this thread. I'm ok with finding out more of what"s wrong with the writers and illustrators, but much more interested in finding out more about the stories and worldbuilding involved. The movie is usually more interesting than the credits, so to speak.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
The author stated he wanted a non-woke comic, and people are having very predictable reactions to the use of that buzzword.

The interview excerpts I saw reminded me of a few panels from an old Dr Strange comic: Dr Strange was having arthritis and trembling in his hands when he worked on big long-range spellcasting projects (like 'banish Dormammu from Earth') but his hands got better when he used his powers to help individuals in distress.
I think the author is saying that his character will be doing superhero stuff for people who need help, not getting into world-shaking events. Comic #1 has not yet been released, so we will have to wait to see as each month's story comes out.

Remove ads