D&D 5E Rituals in 5e

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
I find that distinction artificial. Feather Fall may not be a combat spell, but if you're bull-rushed off a cliff it becomes one. Disintegrate may be a combat spell until you come upon a door you can't open. Creative use of spells is a hallmark of D&D.

Sure. But it's good UI.

Whether we keep rituals or not will a lot depend on the wizard.

I think 4E ritual system could have been better (and even more closer to previous editions) if they had kept something like "ritual" memorization in the game. Let's say you can cast any ritual as you could now in 4E, but you can also memorize a few (not much more than 3, actually) and cast them quickly and at no cost (unless a really unique spell). Then you could use a Feather Fall i nthe middle of combat (if you had prepared it), or an Open Lock. But if you didn't prepare it, you could still "pay" for that lack of exploration and expend some time instead.

Tallifer

Hero
I cannot stress enough how great the ritual system in Fourth Edition is.

In my main group, we always pooled a small portion of our treasure to get some components and learn some rituals.

When the wizard left the group, the warlord studied wizardry and ritualistic magic (and copied the wizard's book of rituals before she went off in search of moonstones, tea and tantric sex).

When the party set off on a significant journey through a wilderness of pestilential and vermin-infested swamps and jungles, we persuaded the financial backers of the expedition to provide additional funds for ritual components and the learning of new rituals.

At 11th level, we have a book now full of about thirty or so rituals.

In another group, we actually used two rituals in our first level adventure: Tenser's Disc and Comprehend Languages.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Like a lot of folks, I thought that rituals were a wonderful idea with terrible execution.

I want rituals, I liked the way they were handled in Relics and Rituals by Sword & Sorcery, for example. The idea of slow, expensive magic, perhaps with multiple participants, is a great bit for flavor.

One of the few things that I actually liked the sound of, leading up to 4e.

The Auld Grump

Gort

Explorer
I like rituals as a concept - it made things a bit safe when you could just teleport away from any danger you encountered by casting a spell instantly. I'd love to see teleport and other such travel magic become dangerous, costly affairs a sane man would only consider as a last resort.

I'd much prefer a "magical hyperspace" type affair where you can travel through a hellish realm to arrive in your location much faster, but still have the chance to have encounters and *gasp* adventures on your way.

Remove ads