• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rituals

Nebulous said:
***Possible SPOILERS for Keep on the Shadowfell!!!*****

Well, i was just reading KotS, and there is a character in the story who you can meet early on, the first session, who has non-heroic levels, and this person knows the ritual RAISE DEAD.

So, now i'm somewhat confused. Can you not cast the ritual until 8th level, or can you have it used on you at any level, so long as the 500 gp is paid? I would have hoped that raising the dead wasn't even an option at 1st-3rd level, but they included the possibility in their flagship adventure.
NPCs might not have to follow the level limitations. Unfortunately, the ritual is not really described (unless I missed it). I think the idea was to include it since people only had the 5 pregens - no PHB handy to create a replacement character if your PC died.

scholz

First Post
Pinotage said:
Interesting article. It's pretty much what I suspected it would look like. Disappointed by the low number of rituals, and in particular that they take 10 minutes. I mean, a wizard can blast fireballs around and do all sorts of powerful things in the blink of an eye, and yet it takes him 10 minutes to find a secret door. Just weird.
Pinotage

This is what I like about them. As noted before, it puts more emphasis on skill use, role playing (figuring stuff out), and less on using magic to just deal with it. (I played a wizard in a group with a thief once. He was having fun finding/disarming traps, climbing a treacherous wall and the like. It took quite a awhile and many skill checks. When he eventually failed (roll enough d20s and you eventually roll low) my guy dropped a feather fall (on the Thief), fly, and protection from normal missiles (1st ed) and basically rescued him, bypassed every trap and got past the traps in seconds. It was demoralizing for the Thief.

Another thing it does, is balance play better. Puzzles, secrets, mazes and such become/remain role playing challenges more than simple obstacles to be rid of with a spell. I hated the Knock spell, because it meant a locked door usually meant resting for a night to swap spells. By making them take time and money, the party must determine whether it is worth the brief pause, but not a game stopping one.

Another thing I like about it is it makes good use of the Spell Book! As an old school gamer, I remember my spell books weighed a hundred pounds or more. And while that seemed interesting from a 'flavor' perspective, it was irritating from a player perspective. Now I can see traveling without one's books, or just a couple special books for likely needs. I like the idea of using the books during the ritual instead of before it. It makes the scholarly wizard/cleric seem more scholarly.

Lastly, I can certainly imagine using rituals in reverse. The bad guys are going to use a ritual, so they need certain components, or they are trying to open the sealed portal, or they will be out at the henge in order to raise their fallen comrade. If the party finds that out, they can try to defeat the ritual themselves. We could do that before, but with old spell-based system, it was at best a temporary thing. You can interrupt the spell, but they can try again tomorrow, or next round. This way, if you take the book, or component or what have you, you could make a more permanent impact.

Caveat: None of the above are impossible with 3.x, but I think the flavor of 4E makes it easier to represent.

Cadfan

First Post
Question about rituals-

They all have key skills. Do you have to be trained in this skill in order to use the ritual?

The excerpt doesn't go into that, I don't think. But I assume you do, or else a wizard could start casting healing and religion rituals without any healing or religious knowledge. He'd do very poorly on any ritual that involved a skill check, but apparently not every one of them does.

Baka no Hentai

First Post
I very much liked this ritual aritcle. It exceeded my expectations on what rituals would be like... they are well designed, engaging, and really open-ended in what you could dream up!

The one thing that I did miss on the ritual list was Identify. I was sure that Identify would be one of your first low level rituals, as it doesnt seem like it would be a class power.

So now my question is... was Identify left off of the list inadvertently, or is the functionality part of the Arcana skill?

Storminator

First Post
Baka no Hentai said:
I very much liked this ritual aritcle. It exceeded my expectations on what rituals would be like... they are well designed, engaging, and really open-ended in what you could dream up!

The one thing that I did miss on the ritual list was Identify. I was sure that Identify would be one of your first low level rituals, as it doesnt seem like it would be a class power.

So now my question is... was Identify left off of the list inadvertently, or is the functionality part of the Arcana skill?

Neither. Now anyone can do it with a short rest.

PS

Lizard

Explorer
OK, I like them. There's an awful lot of storytelling/flavor text potential there. They DO solve an actual problem I had with 3x -- one of the few 4e changes that does. (Sorry, guys, "Halflings are too short!" never bothered us.) The "swiss army knife wizard" not only made play frustrating for skill based characters, it made worldbuilding -- my main concern -- difficult as well. What master rogue could compete with a criminal mage? While rituals allow magic to be flexible and powerful, the cost and time means the skilled characters retain usefulness. As the article states, these are emergency measures, not primary ones.

It looks like rituals are going to be one of the main money sinks of 4e.

In addition, DM control of magic is made easier. Any plot-breaking ritual can simply be unavailable, either for the space of a scenario or in the campaign world. You can just make sure the local supply of unobtainium is used up.

Mort_Q

First Post
Baka no Hentai said:
In what way? I apologize if this question has been answered previously, but I must have missed the excerpt were they covered Identify.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4ex/20080516a

Identifying Magic Items

Most of the time, you can determine the properties and powers of a magic item during a short rest. In the course of handling the item for a few minutes, you discover what the item is and what it does. You can identify one magic item per short rest.

Some magic items might be a bit harder to identify, such as cursed or nonstandard items, or powerful magical artifacts. Your DM might ask for an Arcana check to determine their properties, or you might even need to go on a special quest to find a ritual to identify or to unlock the powers of a unique item.

Last edited:

erf_beto

First Post
Love it! :)

And the components are fantastic! Simple, yet effective! No more "Eschew Materials" or Spell component pouch to ignore most reagents but still not as hard and cumbersome as keeping track of how many feathers you have in your pocket. Very nice!

And the best part, you can also use them as treasure for monsters wich don't carry loot! A wandering beast wouldn't carry gold or magic items, but its carcace might be worth a treasure parcel or two in reagents! A rare plant growing at the top of a mountain is component treasure! Finally a quest to search for reagents done easy! :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads