D&D 5E Rival adventurers - should they be built like monsters or PCs?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
If it was just one rival party, I'd say to stat them as PCs, absolutely. That's a thrill to recognizing your rivals as using the same rules you are. It means they're your equals, it means you're facing the wrong end of the powerful abilities you usually get to throw around, it means their capabilities are both familiar and uncertain, and it means you know they'll be leveling up just like you are for the next encounter.

Only... three rivals parties is too many. It's too much work, it's too many for both you and the players to keep track of, and it dilutes the special nature of having NPCs with PC classes. So I'd suggest one of two things. Either you slim down your plans so that there's only one rival party, or you run is so that only one of the three is a capital R Rival party and the other two are of obviously lesser caliber. You can do a lot with a party that's "One capable Red Wizard and her henchmen (half of whom are zombies)" without having to stat the whole team as PC classes.
I really like the idea of one Rival party (probably the hostile group going after Blackrazor) and two lesser “rival” parties who are more distraction than threat, thank you for that!

If you expect them to be fighting, then it is probably better to have monster style stat blocks. Because managing six PCs at the same time and using all their abilities effectively in a fight is - challenging.

What you can do is create them as if they where PCs, then distil their key abilities into stat blocks, leaving out anything unlikely to come up.

When it comes to establishing them as rounded characters, then ideals/bonds etc from a PC background is very useful.

I use the PC rules if the characters in question are full-on adventurers like the PCs: leading intense, active lives filled with travel and danger and new experiences that tend to cram their stat block full of abilities.

I use NPC/monster rules for characters who, while potentially still very capable, don't have the career paths that sharpen them to the same fine edge as PCs, and so only have one or a handful of special tricks. Your typical soldiers, knights, barbarian warriors, hedge mages, et cetera.

From the sound of it, here we're looking at the former.

Regarding the disagreement between @Lanefan and @Leatherhead, I should point out that using the PC rules doesn't mean you are limited to the exact classes and feats and spells enumerated in the Player's Handbook. Want a "Red Dragon's Revenge" attack? Call it a bespoke feat, or eldritch knight spell, or subclass feature. For me the PC/NPC distinction is pretty strictly about ability density (and some system math), rather than what rules you can and cannot use. Because you're the DM. The rules answer to you, not the other way around.

Have to agree with the above. I have just created a major villain I expect the players to fight, who is a draconic sorcerer 15 / dragon patron warlock 5. Rather than use a homebrew dragon patron warlock I have simply given them a couple of unique abilities that I think will make for an interesting fight.

Coroc

Hero
Like PCs.
In my greyhawk campaign the orcs are built a bit like PCs, they got no feats or such but they are basically plain fighters with different equipment and class levels.
Be warned though, this alters the combat math a bit. Some aspects make them tougher e.g. armor class
eventual feats and such, spell selection if you go for rival party spellcaster PC e.g.
some are weaker mainly e.g. Hitpoints.
To give you a feeling, those are some of my PC like orcs, I hope you see the differences to orcs from the MM

TypeStDeCoInWiChACArmorHDHP#AtAttdamageweapon
Archer1414121010813Padded2w8+24 - 181+41w10+2Heavy Xbow(24)
Orc+2+2+1+0+0-11+41w6+2Long Knife
Polearm16141610101017Halfplate2w8+68-221+51w10+3Glaive
Orc+3+2+3+0+0+0+51w6+3Long Knife
Leader18141812121417Halfplate5w8+2025 - 602+71w10+4Heavy Mace 2h
Orc+4+2+4+1+1+22+71w6+4Long Knife

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I vary it a bit. I will normally monster building rules and give some class abilities to them, even then though, I tend to follow the class hit dice so that a human ranger NPC would have d10 hit dice instead of d8 for being medium.

Sometimes though I'll do up an NPC using PC classes all the way, easy to do with a character building tool.

Benefits of either, if I think there will be quite a large fight I'd probably go the simplified build like monster route since I'm likely not going to use all of the PC abilities anyway.

S'mon

Legend
For a single group intended to be long term rivals, who level up with the PCs, I'd use PC builds. Otherwise I'd use NPC stats from MM & Volo's.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
If you go with PC build rules, you're going to have two sets of glass cannons going off 9n each other. PCs are damage heavy, hitpoint light. When a 10th level battlemaster fighter (no feats) can be expected to lay out 8d6+4d10+40 damage with a greatsword in a surge round but only have around 90 hitpoints, you can see the problem.

Monster builds go lighter on the damage and heavier on the hp to extend fights while remaining a threat. They do less damage but can absorb more. If you build the other parties to PC rules, then it's going to be rocket tag if a fight breaks out. You'll need to heavily foreshadow this or you will catch your players off guard.

I recommend NPC/monster builds accordingly.

S'mon

Legend
If you go with PC build rules, you're going to have two sets of glass cannons going off 9n each other. PCs are damage heavy, hitpoint light. When a 10th level battlemaster fighter (no feats) can be expected to lay out 8d6+4d10+40 damage with a greatsword in a surge round but only have around 90 hitpoints, you can see the problem.

Monster builds go lighter on the damage and heavier on the hp to extend fights while remaining a threat. They do less damage but can absorb more. If you build the other parties to PC rules, then it's going to be rocket tag if a fight breaks out. You'll need to heavily foreshadow this or you will catch your players off guard.

I recommend NPC/monster builds accordingly.

This is true, but a couple Barbarians in the NPC party will help a lot. :D

Remove ads