Riverine Halflings = Cajuns ??

Doc_Souark

Explorer
I was looking at Wotc's Race and Class's thinkie and saw that the new version of the Halfling is riverine nomads, sounds cajun to me. So with that in mind I present The Adventure's of Huck and Clem

Two Halfling are poling thier pirouge thru the sloughs of southern 'ouisana looking for dinner.

Clem- Lookie Huck a giant crawdaddy ! Be good eatin' in a estofa
Huck- Yep too bad we's don't have a Bard handy , weuns could have a regular shindig but thier in book 2
Clem - What's a book ?
Huck - Nevermind Clem
Huck- Hey there the Warlock Queen, Marie Laveau !
Clem - She's a hottie !
Huck - Better watch out Clem, Swishbuclker Feline took one look and The Boy Was Gone !
Clem - I thought he was beholden to the Child of Chttulla ?
Huck - Same thing but less tenticles
Clem - Mighty big wind a-blowin up, Huck
Huck - Yep Grand marshel Ra' Nagin says the Dykes will hold
Clem - Hope so or there will be a lot of loney girls in town, what they callin' this here wind Huck ?
Huck - Callin it Moruss, better then Henry that one was bad !
Clem - Were the city folks goin if it floods ?
Huck - R'kasaw up north will take some of the Gees, they ride Hogs up there you know
Clem - I rode a hog once when my Dog got too small.
Huck- What happened ?
Clem - Her daddy made me give her a ring, LOOKIE THERE'S ONE OF THEM FATBEARDS !
Huck - Kill it quick Clem before it stinks up the swamp !!

With love to Morruss, Henry and PirateCat (and his boss Lady the mighty KidC :))

malraux

First Post
With the traditional halfling focus on food, I rather like the additional "if it moves we can cook it" philosophy that being cajun would bring to the race. Certainly give one an odd reason for adventuring.

Doc_Souark

Explorer
malraux said:
With the traditional halfling focus on food, I rather like the additional "if it moves we can cook it" philosophy that being cajun would bring to the race. Certainly give one an odd reason for adventuring.

How does Vrock taste ? Like nasty evil chicken

zen_hydra

First Post
I kind of like the idea. Halflings have always been portrayed as simple, down-to-earth folk. A Cajun culture works for me.

What if there is also a class of halfling folk that still hold to the glorious past. Back when halflings had a great, far flung empire, and their current lands are what is left of an old forgotten colony? What if this other class of halflings held to their past so much that they refused to give up their mother tongue completely, and so spoke some sort of creole language?

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I, for one, reject the "Jar-Jar Binkisation" of halflings and the vaguely bigoted stereotype that this kind of thing permits.

I wouldn't turn dwarves into Eastern European Jewish knockoffs, either (or scottish or nordic for that matter)

Or elves into the French.

I'll keep my archetypes and my stereotypes comfortably separate, if I can.

RandomCitizenX

First Post
As a cajun I made this observation back when the Race and Class book came out. I was also not looking at it from the always depict cajuns as idiots who eat anything they can cram into a boiling pot (I know a few cajuns who would meet this requirement, but then again I also know some people from Arkansas who fit that bill as well)

Remove ads