Riverine Halflings = Cajuns ??

malraux

First Post
RandomCitizenX said:
As a cajun I made this observation back when the Race and Class book came out. I was also not looking at it from the always depict cajuns as idiots who eat anything they can cram into a boiling pot (I know a few cajuns who would meet this requirement, but then again I also know some people from Arkansas who fit that bill as well)
Yeah, but the cajuns will make it taste good. Certainly the rich culinary heritage of the cajun culture fits the food loving nature of hobbits.

Cryptos

First Post
Ack!

The first time I meet a cartoon or comics fan of questionable taste and reason, playing a halfling rogue that wants to use playing cards as weapons and tries to speak with a Lousiana 'gat' - poorly - I'm going to hunt you down! (Or maybe I'd just force him to wear the pink and purple spandex the entire time.)

I think of them more as short versions of the gypsies from Phillip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy, actually.

Fate Lawson

First Post
One day, Boudreaux had a sign in his yard that read "Boat for Sale."
Pierre came by and said, "Boudreaux ... tell me sometin ... why you got dat sign in dat yard dat say 'Boat for Sale'? Mais, you ain't got no boat!"

Boudreaux replied "Mais no I don't got no boat, but see my car over dare by dat sign?"

Pierre responded "Mais yeah I see dat car."

Boudreaux then said "And see my trailor over dare by dat sign?"

Pierre said "Mais yeah I see dat trailor."

Boudreaux said "Mais Pierre, dey boat for sale, wats de matter wid you!"

Ten

First Post
Dr. Strangemonkey said:
I find myself thinking of them as Minoans.

Charismatic, ancient, and cunning acrobats and sailors who's home has sunk into the sea.

And don't forget their interesting manner of dress, particularly in the area of women's fashion!

Serendipity

Explorer
Interesting take. IMC the halflings are sailors and merchants, plying the oceans as well as the rivers, bringing capitalism and the middle class with them. The culture of their homeland is vaguely based on pre-Columbian Hawai'ians. I think that taking inspiration from an extent (past or present) world culture (as opposed to trying to represent the real thing) is harmless. But yeah, stereotypes can crush the whole point of it.
In any case, it's always interesting to see how folks interpret the same five - six races to me. :)

vagabundo

Adventurer
The way they came across in the R&C made me think of Irish Travelers,

"Do ye like Dogs?"

That how they are in my world anyway. :D

Remove ads