D&D 5E Roasting the Paladin

In the simplest terms, a paladin is...

• a warrior who went to church. Once.

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • a priest who bought a sword.

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • a paragon of virtue, justice, and truth.

Votes: 29 53.7%
  • a paragon of arguments, alignment-bait, and plot traps

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Van Helsing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sir Lancelot

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Don Quixote

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Lemon Curry! (This option is still funny, right? The cool kids still do this?)

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Other, I'll explain below.

Votes: 5 9.3%

• Poll closed .
Angry boi Doom Slayer from Doom 2016/Eternal is, to me, the best example of a paladin. Unyielding in the face of evil, even if it means tearing down the establishments that help perpetuate evil.

Yes, I am an Oath of Vengeance fanboy.

Weiley31

Legend
I prefer the Lawful Stupid Paladin as a NPC to be played against. The idea of a party facing off against that sounds pretty fun. Of course, twisting the associated tropes of a Paladin could also be an interesting concept as well. One time, on one website that tracked the ways in which a PC died, one person's character died because said character got sacrificed by a Paladin.

And the website doesn't go into deep details on what all led up to said death: just a few words and that's that. So I'm still wondering how the whole getting sacrificed by a Paladin thing happened.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I prefer the Lawful Stupid Paladin as a NPC to be played against. The idea of a party facing off against that sounds pretty fun. Of course, twisting the associated tropes of a Paladin could also be an interesting concept as well. One time, on one website that tracked the ways in which a PC died, one person's character died because said character got sacrificed by a Paladin.

And the website doesn't go into deep details on what all led up to said death: just a few words and that's that. So I'm still wondering how the whole getting sacrificed by a Paladin thing happened.
Was the sacrificed PC evil? That right there could do it.

Nothing will ever beat the 1ed paladin. Upholding law, justice and goodness were his goals.

The lawful stupid paladin was never at my table nor would I ever allowed it. The lawful stupid came about in response for the removal of the prerequisites that were so hard to obtain and by doing so, with such a strong class, the lawful stupid became the way to restrict paladins...

Paladins are always my go to class whenever I am a player (which does not happen often).

Last edited:

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I've played a paladin as a dangerous fanatic who had no mercy for any evil. It was a lot of fun. Even better was the party members being unable to refute my paladins arguments for wanting to slay all evil without mercy.
I did something similar once with having my Paladin quote Communist literature. In a treasure division discussion, "From each according to his ability, to each according to his need" is a remarkably Paladinic sentiment. :D

Remove ads