Robert Schwalb releases his version of Warlord

Robert Schwalb, who designed one of my favorite games (Shadow of the Demon Lord), with a version of one of my favorite classes? Sold.

Robert Schwalb, who designed one of my favorite games (Shadow of the Demon Lord), with a version of one of my favorite classes? Sold.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Maybe the reason there are no Warlords (left) in 5e is that every single one of them has been one-shot backhanded by fighters and barbarians who got tired of listening to this.

I think it might be more that WotC decided to split the Warlord kit between the classes instead rather than having a single dedicated warlord class.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Right? I mean, the same thing could be said of the class name itself. "Warlord"? At first level?

One of my many (many) issues with the Warlord concept is the idea that this 1st level mr-smarty-pants is going to tell the 16th level Fighter "I do say, old chap, may I suggest you probe your keen blade into the vile dragon's nether regions about now...no, not there, a bit higher. And give the blade a twist while you're at it. That's a good fellow!" and suddenly the 16th level Fighter is better at, well, fighting.

Maybe the reason there are no Warlords (left) in 5e is that every single one of them has been one-shot backhanded by fighters and barbarians who got tired of listening to this.

"No, no, wait! You're supposed to be drawn to my Natural Leadership! It says it right there in class description! When I give the command you...GAAKKK!!!"

I mean, that's just your personal hang up, not anything to do with the class.

Apparently this was happening IRL at organised play. Warlord players took the leader thing to mean boss IRL.

Yeah, right. Maybe it happened once or twice, and got blown out of proportion on internet forums, but it absolutely wasn't a problem in any general sense.

G

Guest 6801328

Apparently this was happening IRL at organised play. Warlord players took the leader thing to mean boss IRL.

It's funny, when I started asking, "Wait, what's this warlord thing?" during Next (I skipped 3e and 4e) and people started talking about the "Officer" class, and using the example of Patton yelling at a private to explain martial healing, I was like, "So...this is the class that orders around other classes?"

And everybody was all, "No! Absolutely not! Nothing to do with that. Nuh-uh. Nope." ("Lazy-lord yadda yadda yadda...)

But it does seem like the entire class concept is exactly that. You might not HAVE to roleplay it that way, but given that it's the purpose of the class that seems a little bit like saying that you don't HAVE to play a druid who likes nature. (I first wrote "trees" and immediately imagined all the counterarguments about "tundra druids" or whatever. Totally beside the point.)

It's funny, when I started asking, "Wait, what's this warlord thing?" during Next (I skipped 3e and 4e) and people started talking about the "Officer" class, and using the example of Patton yelling at a private to explain martial healing, I was like, "So...this is the class that orders around other classes?"

And everybody was all, "No! Absolutely not! Nothing to do with that. Nuh-uh. Nope." ("Lazy-lord yadda yadda yadda...)

But it does seem like the entire class concept is exactly that. You might not HAVE to roleplay it that way, but given that it's the purpose of the class that seems a little bit like saying that you don't HAVE to play a druid who likes nature. (I first wrote "trees" and immediately imagined all the counterarguments about "tundra druids" or whatever. Totally beside the point.)
It was more like captain America showing up and helping, or batman giving tactical advice to superman and wonderwoman...

Henry

Autoexreginated
It was more like captain America showing up and helping, or batman giving tactical advice to superman and wonderwoman...
There was an article in player’s handbook II back in the 3.5 days about playing a Marshal - and it gave good advice about how to be a leader without being a jerk. It advocated things such as recommending others’ plans, praising successful performances, damning terrible decisions with silence, preparing battle cries and rousing catchphrases ahead of time so you’re not left floundering at the table, etc. All were very good points.

G

Guest 6801328

There was an article in player’s handbook II back in the 3.5 days about playing a Marshal - and it gave good advice about how to be a leader without being a jerk. It advocated things such as recommending others’ plans, praising successful performances, damning terrible decisions with silence, preparing battle cries and rousing catchphrases ahead of time so you’re not left floundering at the table, etc. All were very good points.

Wait...no....seriously?!?!?! They had a section on "how not to be a douche while playing this class"???

I'm speechless (but laughing hysterically inside.)

Remove ads

Remove ads