Robin D. Laws' Top Gamemastering Tip

hawkeyefan

Legend
That's about as solid of a top tip as you'll likely get. Definitely something that I always try and keep in mind, though it can be challenging at times.

I know when I'm a player, I'll very often have a clearer view of the room than is possible when I'm GMing....so I always try to think of the player's perspective and adjust accordingly.

Robin mentions a GM monologuing, and that's something that can make me check out as a player in all but the rarest instances.....so it's something I try not to do.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
That's about as solid of a top tip as you'll likely get. Definitely something that I always try and keep in mind, though it can be challenging at times.

I know when I'm a player, I'll very often have a clearer view of the room than is possible when I'm GMing....so I always try to think of the player's perspective and adjust accordingly.

Robin mentions a GM monologuing, and that's something that can make me check out as a player in all but the rarest instances.....so it's something I try not to do.
This is, indeed, a top tip, and hard to do. I've actually found that experience with PbtA games has helped me put more onto my players and keep them engaged, even when playing 5e. The play loop in PbtA and Blades games is so player driven that, as a GM, you're constantly asking questions or prompting the players and spend very little time talking or expounding -- largely because things get expounded upon via the play loop. I've pulled this back into my D&D games by making the focus on what the PCs are doing and not on me talking.

Arilyn

Hero
Have any of you checked out "Hamlet's Hit Points" that he mentioned?
I have the pdf. It takes three classics, Hamlet, Casablanca and Dr. No, and breaks them down into narrative beats. The book demonstrates how characters in stories regularly go back and forth between hope and fear. This isn't necessarily life threatening fear, but can be as simple as wanting something from someone, but fearing it won't happen. Strong narrative keeps up this tension, as characters get what they want, or concede. I'm giving a very rough overview here of an academic book.

It's a really good resource for film buffs, as well as role players. I'm afraid I haven't managed to successfully integrate fully it into my roleplaying as player or GM. 😊

Robin's Laws of Good Game Mastering is lighter and probably more practical. If you are interested in film, however, or want to deliberately bring out stronger narrative beats into your tabletop game, "Hamlet's Hit Points" is an excellent book.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I have the pdf. It takes three classics, Hamlet, Casablanca and Dr. No, and breaks them down into narrative beats. The book demonstrates how characters in stories regularly go back and forth between hope and fear. This isn't necessarily life threatening fear, but can be as simple as wanting something from someone, but fearing it won't happen. Strong narrative keeps up this tension, as characters get what they want, or concede. I'm giving a very rough overview here of an academic book.

It's a really good resource for film buffs, as well as role players. I'm afraid I haven't managed to successfully integrate fully it into my roleplaying as player or GM. 😊

Robin's Laws of Good Game Mastering is lighter and probably more practical. If you are interested in film, however, or want to deliberately bring out stronger narrative beats into your tabletop game, "Hamlet's Hit Points" is an excellent book.
My understanding is if you read HHP, you'll never watch a film the same way again?

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
My understanding is if you read HHP, you'll never watch a film the same way again?
This is largely true of any good breakdown of media. Doesn't make it less fun, you just notice the artistry (or lack thereof) more.

Like the start of Inglorious Basterds, where the opening scene is two men talking for like 5 minutes. The way that the camera angles and framing create enough tension and story to paper over the huge no-no of starting a movie with 5 minutes of talking is amazing! If you don't know, you still enjoy it, because it works. If you do know, you marvel at it.

hawkeyefan

Legend
This is, indeed, a top tip, and hard to do. I've actually found that experience with PbtA games has helped me put more onto my players and keep them engaged, even when playing 5e. The play loop in PbtA and Blades games is so player driven that, as a GM, you're constantly asking questions or prompting the players and spend very little time talking or expounding -- largely because things get expounded upon via the play loop. I've pulled this back into my D&D games by making the focus on what the PCs are doing and not on me talking.

I've done the same....I loop in the players whenever possible, even in a game that doesn't necessarily call for it, like 5E.

Asking questions is a pretty sure way to involve players....that immediacy really helps to put them on the spot and make them think. I think it helps in the specific moment, and also in the long run. I think it disperses the responsibility a bit, taking the load off the GM, and giving the players an idea of what the GM is doing on a regular basis.

It seems to help players become more well rounded, in my opinion.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases