Robin Hobb: Recommendations

The Serge

First Post
I'm looking for a new fantasy author to read, and this name keeps popping up. I'd like some recommendations on Robin Hobb.

I'm attracted to two types of fantasy: epic fantasy (a la Jordan, Tolkien, Martin, and [Tad] Williams) and to dark fantasy (like Lovecraft and Caitlin Kiernan). I've heard that he's closer to the former than not.

Also, I see that he has at least two series completed. I'd like to start with his older work if the recommendations are good.

Thanks!

DeBhaal

First Post
Robin Hobb is definitely a very good author, the Farseer trilogy is the first set of books, followed by the Liveship Traders trilogy, then the Tawny Man trilogy, the Tawny Man trilogy is a follow-up on the Farseer trilogy and is very well done.

I'm not sure how to describe the writing style, but it's not an upbeat sort of story, the main character of the farseer trilogy fights with depression through most of it. But I'd definitely recommend it.

I can't really say much about the Liveship traders, because I never finished the trilogy but the first book was really good, don't recall much from the second.

The Tawny Man trilogy though, is the best of the lot, even if I didn't really like he Farseer trilogy, I'd have to recommend you to read it first. The trilogy deals with the same main character and him getting pulled back into society to help those he loved, and finding things that makes him want to stay with society after he helps out.

PieAndDragon

Duncan T
Robin Hobb is female. Also writes as Megan Lindholm. Also biased as she is my favourite author.

If interested, start with Assassin's Trilogy, move on with Liveship Traders and finish with the fool's Trilogy. Can't recommend her books more.

Good characterisation, made me cry in several places, very enjoyable, got surprised several times, cursed at stupidity of main characters and had a really good read. What more do you want. Brings a different element to fantasy.

Cheers,

Duncan.

Particle_Man

Explorer
Author recorded as saying she "had sympathy for the Sam Gangees". So think of the main character of the Assassin/Tawny Man series as what would be the supporting character in a "Regular" fantasy series, if that makes sense.

Liveship series is different with multiple viewpoints (at least one of which is about as villainous as they get).

drothgery

First Post
You can do either Liveship Traders or Assasins first; there's almost no overlap between them. But read both before the Tawny Man trilogy. And do it; she gets a bit dark at times, but she's one of the most original writers out there.

I haven't started her new series yet (in a new world unrelated to the other three series), but that's only because I really prefer paperbacks, so when I can manage the self-discipline, I try to hold out for them.

damiynn

First Post
Robin Hobb,

I personally have only read the first three assassin series I loved the first two hated the last one, I couldnt tell you anymore than that but what i didnt like about the last one was that it ended almost without a conclusion sort of. She is an excellent writer though and a lot better than some out there

DeBhaal

First Post
damiynn said:
I personally have only read the first three assassin series I loved the first two hated the last one, I couldnt tell you anymore than that but what i didnt like about the last one was that it ended almost without a conclusion sort of. She is an excellent writer though and a lot better than some out there

I had the same problem with it, so I'd suggest reading te Tawny Man trilogy. If I recall correctly, while it doesn't take up right after the first trilogy, in fact its years later, it does a good job of taking over.

CCamfield

First Post
Man, if you want dark fantasy... not in terms of evil, but ... err... depressing? Then her early book Wizard of the Pigeons should be right up your alley.

Teemu

Hero
Start with the Farseer trilogy, definitely. Then move on to the Liveship Traders, and finally the Tawny Man books. That's the chronological order, i.e. events from the Farseer lead to Liveship Traders and from Liveship Traders to the Tawny Man. Although Tawny Man is the direct follow up to the Farseer, Liveship Traders is well connected, too (though you'll have to find out how ;)). It's important that you read the Farseer before the Tawny Man, even if you want to skip the Liveship Traders for some strange reason.

Robin Hobb is an excellent author. Her greatest strengths are originality and characterization; she definitely knows how to create real people. She also writes as Megan Lindholm but hasn't published anything under that name since the early 90's.

talinthas

First Post
I absolutely loved Farseer and Tawny Man, but couldnt get into Liveship at all. I read like the first 100 odd pages, and just put it down, cause i didnt give a crap about the characters or situations involved. The other two trilogies, otoh, are easily some of the best reading to be had in quite some time.

Remove ads