ROBOTECH RPG - its back, and its new

JeffB

Legend
TheLe said:
I wonder though -- is it common practice to reuse 30% or more of your artwork for new editions of the same product? Even after 10 years?

It is when you've been hit with...

A CRISIS OF TREACHERY (tm).....

dum dum dum dummmmmmmmmm :eek:

:p

On a serious note, I'm not a Palladium Hater..at all..and I feel bad for whats happened to Kev's company, but yeesh. ..Whenever I go over to the site it's like reading WWII propaganda....but much less interesting..EDIT: and palatable

Last edited:

Mr. Beef

First Post
Looking at the Press Release

I clicked through on the link that someone posted on the previous page and here's some of the stuff that sticks out to me:

The art at the top of the page is neat. There's something that looks like a Cyclone Battler with some kind of laser rifle in its right hand, and something that looks like a cross between a Bioroid from Southern Cross and the Male Power Armor from Macross.

We estimate 70% of the artwork is ALL NEW and it looks fantastic!
Well I guess the other 30% is recycled art which is good for the envrionment. :D

Stats have been adjusted to reflect the official Robotech data and satisfy a new generation of gamers. And yes, that means the M.D.C. of mecha and the Mega-Damage inflicted by weapons have been powered up. Which also makes the Robotech® mecha and gear more readily compatible to Rifts® and other Mega-Damage settings.
I don't care if the weapons have been powered up, I think 250 or 300 MDC for a Mecha was perfectly acceptable. I don't need more than that unless you have juiced the weapons up so much that the amount of damage is obscene (Like the Glitter Boy's Rail Gun which I thought was uber cool when I was 13.)

Isn't Rifts their only other Mega-Damage Setting?

The game rules are simple and direct.
This sounds good, but it has been about 20 years since I played any game by Palladium, and I don't remember it being that hard.

O.C.C.s use an M.O.S. structure and should be reasonably fast to roll-up.
The M.O.S. structure was one of the good points of the Southern Cross RPG and I'm glad they decided to use it. I was trying to come up with something like that for a Sentinels game that I wanted to run, but failed miserably. I wonder if everything is still random roll for stuff like height and weight, eye and hair color, birth order, place of birth, things like that.

I'll go to my FLGS and look at it when it comes out (if they have ordered it) and go ahead and place my pre-order for the 4th Edition D&D Players Handbook while I'm there.

Thanks for the link.

Mr. Beef

Filcher

First Post
TheLe said:
3) Will it be priced right? Hard to say. I have argued that RPGs have been increasingly too expensive for years. Then again, people are willing to shell out $50 for a single book, so what do I know?

I agree that books are too expensive, but according to ye olde inflation calculator what cost $13 in 1983 would cost $27.59 in 2007, and we had to buy the PHB, DMG and MM.

So $50 for a complete game isn't out of line.

Mr. Beef

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Upgrade your glasses with reading specs.

I'm only 30 years old and I don't think I need readers yet. Granted, without my glasses I cannot see the big letter on the eye chart.

I suppose I should get off my behind and make an appointment with an eye doctor. It's been something like 18 months since my last visit and I should really go in.

Thanks Ranger REG.

Mr. Beef

TheLe

First Post

Important Stuff:
"In the wake of the successful launch of its Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles RPG, Palladium Books is planning three additional Robotech RPG SKUs for Gen Con. First up, for those who found the manga format of the initial release troublesome, is Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles RPG Deluxe Hardcover Edition. It will include an estimated 192-224 8-1/2” x 11” pages for $30.95. It will include some new material, larger illustrations, and new artwork. "

~Le

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Screw Harmony Gold. No one should buy anything Robotech related. I only wish Big West had the money to sue their asses and reclaim the Macross trademark that they and only they rightfully own.

Hopefully, if that movie project moves forward, Big West will be able to use the threat of a lawsuit against the movie project to reclaim the Macross trademark that Harmony Gold and Tatsunoko stole from them.

Remove ads