ROBOTECH RPG - its back, and its new

Imperialus

Explorer
mcrow said:
All I have to say is that I'm freaking tired of every time a thread about Palladium gets going on here or RPG.net that some jackasses need to show up and crap in my cornflakes.

Surely you must admit that a two-month release schedule and proudly claiming they'll be recycling artwork and text is not really a good sign. I have no real problem with PB, I had a blast playing Hero's Unlimited and RIFTS, but really what will this offer me that my old edition won’t?

mcrow

Explorer
Imperialus said:
Surely you must admit that a two-month release schedule and proudly claiming they'll be recycling artwork and text is not really a good sign. I have no real problem with PB, I had a blast playing Hero's Unlimited and RIFTS, but really what will this offer me that my old edition won’t?

Well, I guess that to some people resusing SOME art and SOME of the text means the whole book is going to be basically a reprint. Yet, overlook the substantially rewritten part in the press release. People tend to put on their blinders and read only the bits that are suitable to their anti-palladium agenda.

That said, I have no reason to think you are a Palladium hater but some of the others here show up in every palladium thread just so they can make sure they het their digs in.

Imperialus

Explorer
mcrow said:
Well, I guess that to some people resusing SOME art and SOME of the text means the whole book is going to be basically a reprint. Yet, overlook the substantially rewritten part in the press release. People tend to put on their blinders and read only the bits that are suitable to their anti-palladium agenda.

That said, I have no reason to think you are a Palladium hater but some of the others here show up in every palladium thread just so they can make sure they het their digs in.

Another way to look at it would be to say. I love the picture of "Emekrol the Chaotic" in the 1st ed DMG (PHB?) and the wandering harlot table is one of the best tables ever made but I don't think they have a place in 4th ed.

TheLe said:
[imager]Palladium's first release will be Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles RPG, planned for late November release. In homage to the Japanese origins of the Robotech property, the RPG will be released in a 192-page, manga-size trade paperback.

I'm a little skeptical about the "manga size trade paperback" format. I never liked that format, even for comics. For an RPG, it seems like it's just a way to cut down on publishing costs. Of course, that's not necessarily a bad thing (I know that printing costs are huge in the RPG industry and can really limit publishers), but it does make me worry about the artworked being scaled down.

I haven't watched anything Robotech related since Macross Zero. This sounds like as good of an excuse as any to pick the series back up. I doubt Shadow Chronicles will beat the awesomeness that is Macross Plus, but seing Rick Hunter again should be cool.

TheLe

First Post
Deset Gled said:
I'm a little skeptical about the "manga size trade paperback" format. I never liked that format, even for comics. For an RPG, it seems like it's just a way to cut down on publishing costs. Of course, that's not necessarily a bad thing (I know that printing costs are huge in the RPG industry and can really limit publishers), but it does make me worry about the artworked being scaled down.

My local game store owner says that RPG players typically do not like small format books. "Players like to open book up and keep them at the table," he said, and so large sizes sell.

`Le

tenkar

Old School Blogger
Since Kevin basically has his books laid out by hand it is going to be interesting how this gets cutdown to a non standard size layout.

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
TheLe said:
My local game store owner says that RPG players typically do not like small format books. "Players like to open book up and keep them at the table," he said, and so large sizes sell.

Just knowing myself, I like big tall book. I'm not a fan of the SWSE square and a manga size book, I'm going to like even less. Exactly how much RPG material can you fit on a 5 x 7 page? The page has less then 40% the surface area as an 8-1/2 x 11 page. That means that for it to have the same amount of information as a 160 page book it has to be over 400 pages. That's either an awfully thick manga or its going to have a alot less information in it then a 160 page RPG book.

Goblyn

Explorer
I dunno. I thought Robotech ran pretty well with Palladium system ... I don't know much about M&M, so don't consider this a counter-argument.

Wait; wasn't there a d20 Mecha book a few years back? Anyone know how that set differs from Robotech?

Remove ads