ROBOTECH RPG - its back, and its new

As someone else said, hoo-ray for a Robotech RPG. Hopefully it will prove to be a good resource for fans of the various Robotech series.

But I doubt I'll buy a single book given that it's a Palladium product and thus using the same rule set as the prior edition. Personal eccentricities aside, Kevin really needs to sit down and overhaul the Palladium system.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
I prefer using Mekton Zeta for my mecha anime fix personally.

I never, NEVER liked the palladium rules for Robotech, I hope that they do something a little different at least.

Katowice

Explorer
Oh no!

Attachments

• onozfu3.gif
    onozfu3.gif
    34.4 KB · Views: 385

Someone explain to me the difference between Robotech and Battletech.

Heck, I remember watching Robotech cartoons as a kid and playing Battletech computer games in college (Mechwarrior & Crescent Hawk's Inception, yum ...) but even then I had a hard time telling them apart. Obviously, I'm clueless.

HelloChristian

First Post
Olgar Shiverstone said:

Heck, I remember watching Robotech cartoons as a kid and playing Battletech computer games in college (Mechwarrior & Crescent Hawk's Inception, yum ...) but even then I had a hard time telling them apart. Obviously, I'm clueless.

It's easy to be confused. For a while FASA was using mechs that looked exactly like those from Robotech. Mechs like the Wasp, Warhammer, Rifleman and Super Phoenix were dead ringers of those seen on the Robotech cartoon. I believe FASA was ordered to cease and desist the use of those representations.

Olgar Shiverstone said:

A quick rundown that I did no research for:

Robotech: In the year 1999, a spaceship crashed to earth. Using the alien technology, terrans created a humongous Space Defence Fortress (SDF1). The SDF housed Macross City.

One of the most important things that terrans learned about the aliens is that they were giants compared to humans. Knowing that there might be an alien/human conflict in the future, they designed a special air fleet for the SDF. This fleet was comprised of special fighter planes that could transform into humanoid mechs to fight the aliens in man-to-man combat. They also had a hybrid plane/mech form. The transformation from plane to mech (and to a lesser extent, the hybrid form) are staples of the Robotech/Macross universe. Mechs are also typically very human like. A common mech weapon is a rifle that the mech carries like a gun.

Enter the Robotech saga, where the aliens come and attack earth, are defeated, make peace with earth, Minmei happens, etc. More SDFs are made. Some humans leave to colonize other planets, fun things are learned about aliens. Eventually, other planets are colonized, etc, etc, etc.

Battletech:

Takes place in a alternate galaxy/universe/whatever that has nothing to do with earth. There are 5 main houses that are always fighting. They fight primarily with Mechs. Major plotlines typically center around bloodlines or mercenaries fighting between the houses.

There are three main types of mechs: small (the Locust), medium (Pheonix Hawk), and large (Maurader). Mechs are humanoid, but only loosly so in some cases. Small and medium mechs sometimes have "jump jets", but the mechs are otherwise ground based. Weapons follow the same small/medium/large pattern as the mechs. Heat is always an issue when piloting a mech, and damage to parts of the mech (arms, legs, head, torso) is a common theme.

Nyarlathotep

Explorer
Loved Robotech (both cartoon and rpg) as a kid, but unless there are some major rule revisions, I'm going to pass on this one. (can't say I'm fond of the smaller book size either).

Taladas

tenkar said:
Since Kevin basically has his books laid out by hand it is going to be interesting how this gets cutdown to a non standard size layout.

They use computer layout now. Alex Marciniszyn has mentioned this a couple of times on rpg.net.

I do find it weird that they are going manga size. Are there any manga size Robotech comics in the U.S. ? It there that much crossover between the two markets?

Rykion

Explorer
Deset Gled said:
Battletech:

Takes place in a alternate galaxy/universe/whatever that has nothing to do with earth. There are 5 main houses that are always fighting. They fight primarily with Mechs. Major plotlines typically center around bloodlines or mercenaries fighting between the houses.

There are three main types of mechs: small (the Locust), medium (Pheonix Hawk), and large (Maurader). Mechs are humanoid, but only loosly so in some cases. Small and medium mechs sometimes have "jump jets", but the mechs are otherwise ground based. Weapons follow the same small/medium/large pattern as the mechs. Heat is always an issue when piloting a mech, and damage to parts of the mech (arms, legs, head, torso) is a common theme.
Basically correct for early Battletech except for one thing. It isn't an alternate universe. It's the year 3025, or later as the storyline progresses. They call Earth Terra.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases