Rod of Corruption + Rod of Reaving

MarauderX

Explorer
This may be the first powerhouse combo of items I have come across in 4E, but as I read it a warlock could use this to clear minions within 5 squares around her each round as a minor action.
Has this been discussed before, and is it possible to use the two rods in conjunction?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
It's old, and the answer is yes -- but not how you wish.

You can use your class ability to place a curse on one minion, then use the Reaving Rod's property to pop that minion, and then use the Corruption Rod's property to transfer the curse to all foes within 5 squares of that first minion -- but then the combo ends. You haven't placed the curses from the Corruption Rod, you've merely transferred them.

This is still useful, but it's not the instant pool-o-blood you'd probably imagined.

Cheers, -- N

MarauderX

Explorer
Just to be sure I understand it, the curse is placed, but nothing happens until switching back to the rod of reaving? So, really, only the 1st minion would die, then all the others would merely be cursed?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Just to be sure I understand it, the curse is placed, but nothing happens until switching back to the rod of reaving? So, really, only the 1st minion would die, then all the others would merely be cursed?
There is no "switching back". You always have full access to the properties of both implements. They key is: you only place the first curse.

Cheers, -- N

PS: This has been discussed at length here and elsewhere. Those discussions may prove enlightening.

keterys

First Post
Expect significant table variation... but I haven't seen a lot of people who think that it working where every minion within 5 of another minion dies and everything else is cursed is... good for the game.

I have seen some people who think it's good because otherwise warlocks are underpowered, though that's... neither here nor there.

WotC was apparently previously unaware of the issue and might look at it in some future way.

Customer Service has at least a couple times said that the RAW dictate that they all die. The transfer/place argument, however, has a very solid following :)

Remove ads