• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rodney Thompson Looks Behind The Screen

WotC's Rodney Thompson is the author of the first in a new series of articles on the official D&D website, "a regular column by Dungeon Masters for Dungeon Masters that presents helpful tips for use in your D&D campaign." The first article looks at the creation of an adventure cheat/prep sheet, incuding the adventure, interludes, character arcs, encounters, and more.

WotC's Rodney Thompson is the author of the first in a new series of articles on the official D&D website, "a regular column by Dungeon Masters for Dungeon Masters that presents helpful tips for use in your D&D campaign." The first article looks at the creation of an adventure cheat/prep sheet, incuding the adventure, interludes, character arcs, encounters, and more.

You can read it here. Additionally, check out the DM Support Group video below!

[video=youtube;teHtEpCk64Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teHtEpCk64Y#t=123[/video]

pemerton

Legend
Novels & screenplays distribute character development out to subplots, which (by definition) are mini-plots that must be resolved in order for the main plot to be resolved.

On the other hand, unless the players & DM collaborate to create characters who are deeply tied in with the main story, it's more likely than not that their personal goals won't be in line with the campaign, and they'll end up with the situation I described. I think it's a bit more common nowadays for big published story-driven campaigns (like, Paizo APs) to come with lots of pre-made character backgrounds that will tie into the main campaign.
I think it can work in the opposite direction from the AP approach. The players build their PCs, including backstories, drawing on the agreed/shared lore of the anticipated campaign - and then the "big picture" builds out of this. I think 5e, with its rich background system (the richest of any version of D&D as far as I know), might be well suited to this sort of approach.

Iosue

Legend
I always though Chris Perkin's reports of is Iomundra campaigns were marvels of mixed campaign goals, party goals, and character goals. Often tangential and sometimes even opposed, but none the less he would find a way to weave them together so well, the result sounded, at least, like pure, distilled awesome.

pemerton

Legend
I'm curious how other DMs prep. Who would be willing to show their prep/cheat sheets?
You might want to look at this thread from a couple of years ago. I have a post in it where I give an example of my approach.

Generally my prep involves writing up combat stats for any NPCs/monsters that I can't just read out of an MM and that I think the PCs might come into conflict with, and making notes on the motivations of NPCs/monsters and the situations in which they are located - these are relevant both for free roleplaying and for skill challenges.

Here is the writeup I used to run the skill challenge described in this post.

The PCs will be invited to dine with the Baron (eg because they help quell a riot). Paldemar will be present, and introduced as fiancé of the Baron’s daughter (who is indisposed and hence unable to join them – in fact she is absent, having gone to the tower on the moorland, something which Paldemar doesn’t know and is hoping to find out. Paldemar will also ask the PCs about their exploits and discoveries – he will not take long to work out who they are, and is particularly seeking word of the tapestry.

There are a series of portraits on the walls of the Baron’s hall – one will remind the PCs of the apprentice they rescued, but is obviously more recently painted (DC 19 History or Perception check to notice) – it is Anefsina. Another is of a woman who resembles the apprentice but is aged in her 50s (DC 19 Insight to notice) with a man who greatly resembles the Baron – they are the current Baron’s grandparents – Baron Euphemes Osterneth I and Lady Jena Osterneth (the painting is over 70 years old). The Baron is now in his 50s.
Dealing with Baron Euphemes and Paldemar is a Level 11 complexity 5 skill challenge (3000 XP, 8M + 4H with 6 adv & DCs 13/19/27). Maximum quest XP depend upon dealing with both successfully.

Years before present Event
132 Baron’s grandfather born
130 Jena born
105 Jena rescued by PCs
91 Baron’s father born
77 Portrait of Jena and grandfather painted; death of grandfather
70 Departure of Jena as her reign ends in turmoil and her son comes to the throne
55 Baron born
32 Paldemar born
25 Anefsina born​

The write-up and skill challenge references an earlier scenario, in which the PCs travelled into the past and rescud an apprentice wizard - that scenario, including the prep method that is used, is described here.

Attached are two documents: one is the notes used to run these two sessions; the other is my general campaign background, which has grown from about 2 pages to 6 or so over 6 years of play, and has the writeups on history and core NPC motivations and backstory that I refer to make decisions about NPC actions and framing situations. For instance, it sets out information relevant to the behaviour of the main NPC antagonist in the above skill challenge.

pemerton

Legend
I always though Chris Perkin's reports of is Iomundra campaigns were marvels of mixed campaign goals, party goals, and character goals. Often tangential and sometimes even opposed, but none the less he would find a way to weave them together so well, the result sounded, at least, like pure, distilled awesome.
Agreed.

painted_klown

First Post
This was fun, really like this series, Im very happy to see that more DM specific tools are being added to the D&D website. I would love if the new article by Rodney Thompson could be downloaded as a text document, it would be great to collect these.

+1

I too would love it if there was a way to download these articles as well. As a new DM, I am sure there will be plenty of infomation that may not be useful at the time of publication, but could be a real blessing down the line. A way to archive these articles would be valuable IMO.

Gecko85

Explorer

+1

I too would love it if there was a way to download these articles as well. As a new DM, I am sure there will be plenty of infomation that may not be useful at the time of publication, but could be a real blessing down the line. A way to archive these articles would be valuable IMO.

As much as people like to bash the WotC website, they've done an excellent job with their print style sheet. Print the article as a PDF. Done. Comes out really nice.

Gecko85

Explorer
As much as people like to bash the WotC website, they've done an excellent job with their print style sheet. Print the article as a PDF. Done. Comes out really nice.

I should clarify a bit upon further inspection: they've done a *pretty good* job with their print style sheet. A few things should have been hidden/removed when printing (very easy to do), including: the search icon at the top, the social media buttons at the end, and all the remaining website cruft (links to other articles, etc.) that are useless in a printed/PDF'd document. Also, they should have made use of the page break styles to keep some of the content from breaking up weird between pages. Finally, they should have removed the background texture, to reduce the file size and also save ink if actually printed.

Still, it's better than a LOT of websites that don't use a print style sheet at all.

Here's the article with the remaining cruft removed.

Voidrunner's Codex

Related Articles

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads