• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rogue m/c to warlock + pact dagger

Zhure

First Post
If a Rogue takes Pact Initiate, when he uses the encounter level warlock spell (say, Eyebite) and he is wielding a +1 pact blade that's also a dagger, does he get to add his Rogue Weapon Talent to the attack roll?

I'm conflicted as to the answer, but a strict reading of RAW indicates it's an attack and it involves a dagger. I'm tempted to say 'yes.'
Greg

Stormtalon

First Post
Since the Pact Blade's description specifically states you don't add the weapon's proficiency bonus to attacks made with it when using it as an implement, I wouldn't apply the rogue's dagger bonus to it either. A Pact Blade is, depending on use, either a weapon only or an implement only; bonuses which apply to one use don't apply to the other.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
I think if you read the rules strictly, then yes, the rogue weapon talent, weapon focus (dagger), and anything else (besides weapon proficiency) would apply. But personally, I would only allow bonuses that are clearly tied to using the dagger as a weapon to apply to powers with the [weapon] keyword.

yu gnomi

Explorer
I am 99.99 % positive that you can't use rogue weapon talent, sneak attack damage or Daggermaster's feature "dagger precision" when you are using pact blade as an implement.

I haven't found anything directly from WOTC that entirely supports me in this but from Customer service's FAQ

13. Rogue weapon talent requires you to “wield” a particular weapon. What does this mean?

Wielding means you must be using that weapon in the attack. Merely holding it while you attack with another weapon isn’t enough to qualify for any bonuses that result.

There is also a whole thread on Daggermaster warlock. Halfway down the page is customer service response regarding Daggermaster.

http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233253&page=3

Remove ads