Rogue One Review (Spoilers)

fjw70

Adventurer
Does it? Is the holonet established in the movies, is it current canon? Or is it in the discarded expanded universe? I'm honestly not sure, as I don't keep on the the vast lore of the Star Wars.

Not in the movies but has been referenced in the new canon novels.

Goodsport

Explorer
While Rogue One: A Stars War Story took place just before Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, the following took place just after it:

[video=youtube;S3a5j8PgQxg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3a5j8PgQxg[/video]​

Last edited:

Wolf72

Explorer
Loved it! ... was very cool. Yes, a lot was going on. How to make it better? Make it a 6 part (same production quality) mini-series of 1 hr episodes each (1hr 30m with commercials.

As much as the prequel trilogy gets slammed, I find lots of kids who love them. Have to remember the target of audience of children. I don't hate the prequels, but the originals are still the best. VII was way to fast for me (again loved it).

I showed my students the originals (digitally remastered on VHS, Han shoots Greedo with no return fire!) they said they were boring and took to long ... wanted to draw my own lightsaber and go Anakin on them!

Just got back from seeing it; I enjoyed it and my sense largely parallels Morrus'. I'll have to see it again to solidify my opinion, but right now I'd put it after ESB and Star Wars, ahead of TFA, RotJ, and of course the prequels.

I think TFA did characterization better, though it's easier when they are fewer characters. R1 opened a bit slowly but still missed characterization, but it didn't suffer from the derivative plot that TFA had. Both had their callbacks, I'm mostly OK with them -- the Red and Gold squadron bits I think were essential, but Ponda Baba and R2/3PO were probably unnecessary (could have ust as easily had them in a non-speaking role in the background of a shot). Star Wars Rebels inclusions were a bit cute.

I'm OK with Vader (question: why doesn't Bacta heal Vader's burns and scars? It heals everything else in this universe?), though they could have just used him at the end instead of doing the Mustafar scene which was just a hair out of place (didn't break the movie, though).

CGI Tarkin was almost OK; with a bit more shadow they could have pulled it off. Reuse of Red/Gold leaders worked. CGI Leia was horrible and really jarring at the end of an otherwise great effects movie -- they could have stopped with the shot of her from behind and a line that said something like "Here are the plans we recovered, Princess ..."

I've liked my starfighter battle scenes the best in my Star Wars movies and this one didn't disappoint.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
About the fueled: It is very possible the character misspoke somewhat... people mangle technical terms *all the time*.
image.jpeg

I figured there could be a difference between the reactor which powers the hyperdrive, life support, lights, etc and the power source for the unprecedented planet-killing superlaser.

-Hyp.

MarkB

Legend
I figured there could be a difference between the reactor which powers the hyperdrive, life support, lights, etc and the power source for the unprecedented planet-killing superlaser.

-Hyp.

Equally, it could be that each shot the superlaser makes burns out some of the focusing crystals, requiring frequent replacements, so it's 'fueled' by them in that sense. So, what the movie said was true, from a certain point of view.

1) Last I checked reactors need fuel. At least the ones here on present day earth do. Apparently this one consumes a specific flavor of crystal as opposed to Uranium or whatever.

2) NAMING the fuel sounds more interesting than not naming it. Might as well name it something that'll resonate with people who've read a bunch of crappy novels & are but-hurt that Disney scrapped all that precious "cannon"....

3) Because her dad gave it to her?

But what was the point? Why name the fuel that is used by the Death Star? Why did we need to know where the Empire was getting the fuel? Why did Jyn happen to have a necklace of a Khyber Crystal around her neck? You'd think all this would be leading up to something. But it didn't.

The screenplay for this was a mess. A lot of scenes that didn't go anywhere. A lot of scenes were also poorly edited, and went on just a bit too long. And just blatant editing mistakes, such as a character looking left, and then looking right again before the scene ends. Or an awkward silence dropping in a dialogue. It was jarring.

I'm not saying the movie doesn't have entertaining stuff in it. But I'm not blind to blatant bad film making. I can see when a scene is not edited well. I can tell when plot points don't go anywhere. I can tell when the music score does not fit with a particular scene. And I can sometimes tell when a scene was hastily changed by the studio (such as Jyn pulling out her blaster at the Tie Fighter that is now cut from the movie). That is indefensible.

MarkB

Legend
But what was the point? Why name the fuel that is used by the Death Star? Why did we need to know where the Empire was getting the fuel? Why did Jyn happen to have a necklace of a Khyber Crystal around her neck? You'd think all this would be leading up to something. But it didn't.
Jyn's father was drafted because he's an expert in Kyber crystals - his lab on Eadu is named as a Kyber Research Facility. There's also a line in the movie that "The strongest stars have a heart of Kyber". If that's a literal truth rather than just figurative - if Kyber crystals are forged in the heart of stars - then Kyber crystals are literally stardust, and thus the necklace that Galen gave to Jyn as a keepsake is a visual reference to his pet name for her, which does play an important part in the movie.

Ultimately, though, it doesn't need to lead anywhere. It's a keepsake, the one physical reminder of her family she has left. Why do you need it to be something more than that?

Remove ads