• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Roguish Archetype: Bravo

Jeph

Explorer
One of my players wanted a Dread Pirate Roberts style character. A lot of the Rogue abilities are perfect for this, but none of the archetypes really fit—and more importantly, as it stands there's not a combat-related reason for a Rogue to invest heavily in Charisma. Thus, a new archetype for your Princess Bride style swashbuckling duelist.

Balance-wise, a Bravo rogue gives up the ability to fight with two weapons for potentially better Armor Class and an easy way to get advantage.

Thoughts? I'd love a replacement for the 17th level ability; it's a bit of a creative cop-out.

Duelist’s Defense: Starting at 3rd level, when wearing light armor and wielding a finesse weapon in your primary hand and nothing in your off hand, your Armor Class equals 10 + your Dexterity modifier + your Charisma modifier. If wearing no armor, your Armor Class equals 9 + your Dexterity modifier + your Charisma modifier.

Feint: Starting at 3rd level, you can use the bonus action granted by your Cunning Action to feint against an enemy within 5 feet. They must make a Dexterity saving throw (DC equals 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier) or be caught off guard: you have advantage on the next attack you make against that enemy before the end of your turn. A foe who successfully saves against your feint is immune until you finish a long or short rest.

Banter: At 9th level, you can size up a character by exchanging a few volleys of insults, witticisms, and boasts. After a character has spoken to you twice, you learn each of the following:
  • Their total character levels.
  • Their value in two ability scores of your choice.
  • Whether they are proficient in two skills, tools, weapons or saving throws of your choice, in which you must also be proficient.
Fearsome Wit: At 13th level, when you banter with a foe, you may also learn something that the character is afraid of, or something that they want. You may then immediately use your action to either frighten or charm the target, if you can beat them in a contest of your Charisma (Deception) versus their Wisdom (Insight). Outside of combat, the condition lasts for one minute; if in a fight, it lasts until the end of your next turn. Once you have used your fearsome wit, you must finish a short or long rest before you do so again.

Deadly Flourish: At 17th level, your sneak attacks deal bonus damage equal to your Charisma modifier.

(Cross-posted on RPG.net.)

Jeph

Explorer
I think Dread Pirate Roberts would more likely be a fighter with the Dueling fighting style.

The Dread Pirate Roberts who went around with a heavy oaken shield lashed to his arm?

I mean yeah, you could do a lightly armored fighter wielding a weapon in one hand and nothing in the off hand, but they'd be deliberately gimping themselves for no gain. Not attractive.

variant

Adventurer
The Dread Pirate Roberts who went around with a heavy oaken shield lashed to his arm?

I mean yeah, you could do a lightly armored fighter wielding a weapon in one hand and nothing in the off hand, but they'd be deliberately gimping themselves for no gain. Not attractive.

As opposed to a rogue wielding a weapon in one hand and nothing in the off-hand?

Dausuul

Legend
I thought there was some kind of feat that gave you bonuses fighting with a one-handed weapon and nothing in the off hand. Unfortunately I don't have my PHB in hand yet, so can't confirm.

Kaylos

First Post
The Dread Pirate Roberts

Human Fighter Level 1
Background: Sailor, Pirate Variant
Str: 10
Dex: 16 (+1 Human)
Con: 14 (+1 Human)
Int: 12
Wis: 8
Cha: 14

Dueling Fighting Style
Feat: Defensive Duelist (Can use your reaction to add your proficiency bonus to AC)
Weapon: Rapier
Armor: none

Skills:
Athletics: +2 (Sailor)
Acrobatics: +5 (Fighter)
Perception: +1 (Sailor)
History: +3 (Fighter)
Stealth: +5 (Human)

At level 3, go Battlemaster and gain the Menacing Attack, Feinting Attack, and Riposte Maneuvers. (Or maybe replace Menacing with Disarming)

Only real issues I see is the lack of AC due to no armor and no real use for open hand since the low strength limits grappling effectiveness. Would probably need some houseruling to make the concept work for a fighter.

Stalker0

Legend
Does a multiclass rogue still get the bonus action ability? I was thinking a battlemaster fighter as you described with with a little rogue goodness.

As far as the no armor thing, functionally leather armor works the same. It doesn't really slow you down or anything so you can pull off the concept with leather armor I would imagine.

Jeph

Explorer
There's also the lack of a reason to put points into Charisma, if you go the fighter route. Whatever way you cut it, the archetype isn't really supported by the PHB options. It's up for debate whether a new Martial Archetype or Rogueish Archetype would be more appropriate, but seriously, can ya'll actually give me comments on OP instead of suggesting things that are completely orthogonal?

Andor

First Post
I would call Duellists Defense Dashing Defense instead for flavor reasons.

And Deadly Flourish comes to late to feel meaningful. At 17th level sneak attack damage is 9d6, averaging 31.5 points. Adding 5 to that is nice, but it would feel more impactful earlier.

Personally I'd approach this archetype the way I would in 3e. Multi class Fighter/Rogue for features you want, and your charisma serves to power your charisma based skills like persuasion. Does it really need to be a combat booster? You want to be charismatic to pick up tavern wenches and intimidate Prince Humperdink, not to improve your ability to shiv people.
Just my 2c.

Last edited:

Remove ads