• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Rohirric Sword -- Short or Long?

Rohirric Sword -- Short or Long?

• Shortsword

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Longsword

Votes: 17 85.0%

StriderUrbs

First Post
So, I wanted to make a character based on the Rohirrim from Lord of the Rings, particularly Théoden. However, I know it may not be terribly important, but I was wondering whether the Rohirric swords in the films should be considered shortswords or longswords. It's about halfway, but I wanted to know what others thought about how it should be used in game.

Ketser

First Post
classic swords for horsemen are usually shorter than the standard longsword (and curved)

Rohirrim used straight bladed swords, that were closer to a type of sword known as arming sword or knightly sword. So the longsword isn't the best pick, but probably closest to the ones used in books and movies. If you want a weapon closer to it, homebrew a version of longsword that lacks the versatile quality (maybe add finesse to balance out the loss of a trait).

In 5E most weapons are not even described beyond their name (even in 3E lengths weren't mentioned) , so go wild! I would use longsword stats for no other reason that Theoden uses it in a slashing manner in battle, not piercing. Length wise, IMO, it could be argued either way. But really, what ever feels right to you.

efb4cb66daaa92b5b46b889608669512.jpg

They're arming swords which in DnD have traditionally been 'long swords'.

But just let your player fluff it however he wants. Who cares?

If he wants to call his Longsword a Katana, Falcatta, Jian, Nine ring broadsword, Rohorric slashing death cutter or whatever it doesnt matter.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
How about:

Rohirrim Sword: one-handed, 1d8, Slashing and Piercing, Martial Melee Weapon

or, take a rapier and make it do slashing.

Changing damage types isnt isn't a big deal.

Horwath

Legend
To be devils advocate, it's and arming sword, or in DND terms a longsword.

one handed weapon, that can be used twohanded.

Even Theoden used it with two hands when he wanted to execute Grima, but Aragorn stopped him.

Horwath

Legend
As for lenght of "swords" here is rough classification,

Dagger 40-50cm,

Short sword 60-80cm,

Long sword 90-110cm,

greatsword 130-150cm,

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads