Rolemaster Unified, Dec 3 2022

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
This has been coming for many years. I've been getting the Iron Crown Enterprises Director's Briefings since early 2013, and RMU was mentioned in the first of those, and was already a thing at that time - so that's 10+ years.

I don't know where it has landed between RM classic and RMSS, but suspect it is probably closer to the former.
It has indeed been "coming soon" for a very long time. It also seems to me that it is supposed to be closer to classic, but streamlined.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I'm a dedicated RMX fan, but I'll probably give this a look when it comes out, provided it isn't scattered across multiple books (one of the reasons I love RMX is that it is self-contained in one book).
My understanding is that it will be several books: Core (character and combat), Spell, Creatures, and Treasure.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Well, dang. Looks like Against the Darkmaster wins out, then. Also, it's a bit funny to literally call a system "Unified" and then distribute it across multiple volumes. :D
I think the idea was the unification of the different editions, but yes, considering that most RPGs are in a single volume, it is a bit ironic.

Against the Darkmaster is similar to MERP, correct? I should probably check it out.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Against the Darkmaster is similar to MERP, correct? I should probably check it out.
Yes, it is along the same lines. I like it quite a bit, it really does clean things up.
As far as the Unified nature of the new rules, there are (I believe) three major editions of Rolemaster (Standard System, Classic, and RPFRP) and this is the attempt to unify them going forward.

pemerton

Legend
As far as the Unified nature of the new rules, there are (I believe) three major editions of Rolemaster (Standard System, Classic, and RPFRP) and this is the attempt to unify them going forward.
RPFRP is really just a differently-packaged and very slightly cleaned-up version of RMSS. But RM2/Classic and RMSS are different in their core PC build rules.

I would expect RMU to be closer to Classic in the way it approaches skill groups and skill ranks, but maybe closer to RMSS in its spell lists (to the extent that they differ across the two versions).

Bravesteel25

Baronet of Gaming
I've been waiting on RMU for years. I've graduated college, got married, had two kids, and four jobs since I first started following it. I love the granularity promised by the system, a perfect fit for myself, who loves to build and tinker when building my world. I can't wait to buy this!

Remove ads