• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Roleplaying and Mental Health (Psychology)

Kwalish Kid

Explorer
Let me make a couple of points about some of these books.
This book is, on the whole, poorly done. The scholarship is fair, but not excellent, and it needs editing badly.
Some really excellent stuff in this book. The Michele Nephew piece, even though it is Freudian, is one of the best. Hendricks' piece on incorporative discourse should be fundamental to future studies in the field, though its theories need more evidential support, I believe. The Winkler article on the gaming business is pretty good as an introduction to the field, but uses citations so incredibly poorly that it is hard, academically, to take the piece too seriously.
Even though this is out of date, this is a good foundation for any RPG study. A couple of articles in Williams/Hendricks/Winkler are based on this book.
If anyone knows of other books that could help me in my endeavor, please, don't be shy about posting them! Thanks.
The First Person, Second Person, and Third Person books edited by Noah Wardrip-Fruin and Pat Harrigan are really good. These are mixed-subject books: they look at interactive story-telling in a number of media, primarily computer-based media. Second Person is particularly good for RPG study resources. I haven't got Third Person yet, but I'm really looking forward to Robin Laws' article in it.

First Person - The MIT Press
Second Person - The MIT Press
Third Person - The MIT Press

Jack7

First Post
My first impression about this is that you might be trying to do too much. Don't try to make a general "make children better" treatment, make a focused treatment for a focused goal. Otherwise the treatment will be diffuse, and it'll be more difficult to make into a manualized protocol. IMO RPGs probably lend themselves best to teaching problem solving, as well as social interaction skills if you run it right. Be careful though, because the highly structured and ritualized interactions of playing an RPG may not transfer much to outside-world social interactions.

I'm not saying that this example is what you should be doing. But IMO you'd be best off to focus your attention on the specific things you'll want to achieve therapeutically, and the scenarios and game system will emerge naturally from that.

The setting should also stem from that consideration. When it comes to any sort of learning or emotional conditioning, the more similar the model experience is to the real-world experience, the better the learned skills will transfer, generally.

Any skill that you want the kids to "learn" from the game should be part of the victory conditions.

Personally, I think you might have the most luck by creating your own game for this purpose. This way, you can start with something dirt-simple (and I mean SIMPLE!) and expose players/clients to progressively more complex elements as need be. Probably the last thing you want is for clients (or your dissertation) to get eff'd up by any confusing or frustrating rules.

I used to be a psychologist, a long time ago.

I can second the advice given above. For both pragmatic and professional reasons.
Others have also given good advice.

You need not just a general set of objectives, but absolutely definable, and measurable goals tested through experimentation as regards both your project and your paper.

And you need a narrowly focused target as regards the exact subjects or patients, and their prior and developing conditional state, you want to address.

Later on your can take your findings and then expound upon those as presenting possibilities for future experiments, and for the development of potential future "treatment methods and protocols."

Something you may want to consider bringing up in your paper is the idea of "interactive and inter-reactive treatment methods" and then see how your gaming experiment as treatment model measures up as an effective methodology.

Another thing, since you mentioned young children as being your likely subjects of interest then I think you quite right as choosing a fantasy vehicle as the basis upon which to test your hypothesis (you need a carefully chosen and distinct one). I say this because young children seem to naturally gravitate towards prospects of the imagination, and show great interest in such subject matter, to which much of fantasy is intimately tied.

However I didn't think that I would stress too highly, in my opinion, the disconnect between the real world and the game environments or you will lose the pragmatic value of the correlation between in-game problem solving (as an example of one of your possible aims) and real world problem solving. Even at a young age ideally you would want your subjects to intuitively come to understand the intrinsic value of making "self-correlations" between any in-game skill advatantages they are developing, and how they might apply the same principles and techniques to real world problems. That is if you have to instruct and prove to the children the value of correlation, if they do not come to a sort of intuitive understanding, then your treatment method is really instructional. But if it is intuitively grasped (as a naturally understood correlation method, or even just as a useful analogical technique), to some lesser or greater degree, by most, or even by many of the involved subjects, then this demonstrates something about your method that instructional reinforcement or explanation does not. I hope you understand my implication.

In any case I still remember my dissertation. Even have a copy of it somewhere.
It was fun, and very involved, to do.

Anywho, however the case develops, good luck and Godspeed with your project, paper, and degree.

Let us know how things continue to develop.

That is if you have to instruct and prove to the children the value of correlation, if they do not come to a sort of intuitive understanding, then your treatment method is really instructional. But if it is intuitively grasped (as a naturally understood correlation method, or even just as a useful analogical technique), to some lesser or greater degree, by most, or even by many of the involved subjects, then this demonstrates something about your method that instructional reinforcement or explanation does not.

This is an excellent point that I think will be the defining benefit of such a treatment method.

Also, there is some literature that roleplaying can be used for instruction/teaching in unique ways that are accessible to some where other methods of instruction are not. So, I think that even if it did amount to just instruction, there would still be some value to the method.

However, the point is not lost on me that it could be more, and I'll be working to keep that as my aim.

Jack7

First Post
This is an excellent point that I think will be the defining benefit of such a treatment method.

Also, there is some literature that roleplaying can be used for instruction/teaching in unique ways that are accessible to some where other methods of instruction are not. So, I think that even if it did amount to just instruction, there would still be some value to the method.

However, the point is not lost on me that it could be more, and I'll be working to keep that as my aim.

I don't want you to misunderstand me Aberzan.

I'm not saying there is no value to instructional methods, and I'm not saying that role playing can't be used either as an instructional form or as a "practice form" (because we use real world skills in our game, all of our games, fantasy included - we often use gaming as mental practice and demonstration for individual and real capabilities), I'm just saying that when any activity impresses intuitively a capability upon the mind and psyche of someone, that kind of impression tends to be much deeper and more useful and flexible (in the long run) that one which is entirely didactic or pedagogical in method. Or, put another way, sometimes you can deeply know a thing and not really know how you came to realize the thing you know (but you do, because it "seeped into you" by psychological osmosis so gradually and by such subtle means that it became natural to your thought processes, even if you cannot point to a moment and say, "there, that's when I learned that," you do now it beyond all doubt), and at other times you can know exactly how you know a thing (because it was obviously shown you), and still not be really sure that you really know it. It doesn't always happen that way, but when it does, learning is complete and absolute.

And I think you are quite right, role playing does offer the potential of both unique instructional methods, and unique methods of practice of what you know. For instance in my games we use a method called Describe and Demonstrate to role play various aspects of the game. The players describe what they are doing as if in real life, and when there is a dispute or question about their description, then they demonstrate what they mean. (Sometimes they do both just because they like to. But in any case there is little reference to the die or to artificial means of "proving a capability.")It's really just what used to be called old fashioned "role play" where you really role play, as opposed to just talking or "rules referencing," or die-rolling. I think role play as a method is just naturally fun for kids anyway, but also fun for adults who want to behave like kids, but it also has the serious point of allowing people to both tactically and physically demonstrate skills, and it allows them "mental practice of skills in interactive situations with other people." That is skills demonstration has a mental component that is useful (concentrated mental practice can sometimes, if done correctly, be as beneficial as corresponding physical practice of a thing), but it also has a social component that encourages people to "do it right because others are relying upon you." This also subtly encourages competency and leadership in various players. If you think about any kind of training scenario it is really just elaborate and practical and technically proficient (realistic) role play. And this is, in gaming I think, far too often an overlooked and under-stressed benefit of the methods of role play.

One thing though I'd like to encourage if you do design your own game (which would add immensely to the impact of your paper, because you can tailor various aspects of the game to specific and intended objectives and so empirically and experimentally test the strengths of various game sub-components - and so it will be easy to see which sub-components work and which need to be replaced, plus it will impress your review board with your effort), although it will be far more work (though keep the game as simple as possible), and that it to discourage dice rolling or other mechanical methods as far as possible, and instead concentrate as much as possible upon flexible role play which will be beneficial and actually useful to your subjects. If this is to be a true therapeutic method or protocol, then it must be useful, and to be useful it must encourage as much direct (as opposed to indirect, artificial, and mechanical methods) participation on the part of the subjects as possible. I think a few others have already made this point, so I'd like to echo it.

In any case I didn't want you to misunderstand my point(s) but I did want to encourage you to think about the implications of how what you do will directly effect exactly how effective your methods are, and in what specific ways. If you understand what I mean and I'm making myself clear.

Good luck, and have fun with your work. We'll be pulling for ya.
It may lead you on to other things as well, and that is always useful too.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
I worry about the misconception that a lack of social skills can be trained much by pen and paper rpg. Especially when it comes to people on the autism spectrum.

I'm on the autism spectrum, and there is no connection for me and most other gaming Aspies I know between rpg and real world behaviour. When I create a character, I can determine what he or she is like, what culture etc. I can make her shy or not shy, have poor or bad social skills, as the dice roll decides about success most of the time. and even if we do some serious RPGing, the characters are well defined so that no harm can be done based on the player's bad social skills. Espesially as we do not usually bother with all the complicated stuff like gestures and facial expressions. Another big plus, our character all have names on their sheets and are usually refered to by name - in RL, I'm faceblind.

So whatever I do in rpgs, I cannot transfer into RL. I'm so different from the characters I usually play (not even talking of the world i play them in) it would make no sense to even try. Of course, I have to role play in RL a lot, too, to appear somewhat normal, but that's just an exhausting act and no fun :)

Jack7

First Post
So whatever I do in rpgs, I cannot transfer into RL. I'm so different from the characters I usually play (not even talking of the world i play them in) it would make no sense to even try. Of course, I have to role play in RL a lot, too, to appear somewhat normal, but that's just an exhausting act and no fun :)

That's one way of looking at it Lwaxy. But you might try this one too. If you can role play in-game a different way of being than that which is normal to you then you've already proven that it is possible to do so. And then if you are role playing in real life to a degree that makes others assume you are one way, even if you feel another, then guess what?

From their point of view you are the way you behave, not the way you feel (which to the rest of the world they cannot know or judge anyways). Now people can affect behaviors which are different form how they feel about themselves in both negative ways, such as secret criminal behavior, or in positive ways, acting pleasant and friendly when they feel anti-social.

But in either case the world will judge you not on your secret, subjective feelings, but on how you actually behave and interact with it.

So I wouldn't feel too bad if I was you. For two reasons. First, there is no such thing as "perfect on the inside." You needn't even worry about that.

Secondly if you're doing a good enough job to the rest of the world that they aren't even aware that you feel less than perfect on the inside, well, you're already ahead of a lot of folks. And maybe, when you or anyone else overcomes adversity to thrive anyways, well, that's something less to be doubtful about than it is to be proud about.

Any thing can be easy with no resistance.
You overcome what to you is hard to do, and that's more admirable than it is limiting.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Any thing can be easy with no resistance.
You overcome what to you is hard to do, and that's more admirable than it is limiting.
Jack7 is spot on in observations. Lwaxy, you may be consciously roleplaying in real life to overcome difficulty in fitting in, but that is to be lauded. It is not easy to survive and succeed in the real world. Remember, roleplaying is not strictly a type of improvisational acting, rather it is playing a social role. We are roleplaying every second we are conscious (edit: not asleep) whether we are aware we are performing roles in society or not. That you are purposefully acting out some roles consciously for your own goals and conscientiously for others around you shows a great deal of self awareness and benevolent intent on your part. Both of these traits are necessary for becoming a better person overall. As Jack7 pointed out in his previous post, becoming better people is what we are doing in RPGs in a manner correlative to reality, albeit to a lesser degree than traditionally practiced roleplay - roleplaying focused more on education than entertainment - though roleplaying is educational regardless of intent.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads