• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Roleplaying in D&D 5E: It’s How You Play the Game

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Yes, remove players agency and you cannot call it roleplay anymore, no matter how you twist it.
I disagree; in that a stage actor who is forced to follow a script and movement directions, etc. is still roleplaying, i.e. playing a role.

Being put on extremely hard rails by the DM doesn't stop or prevent roleplaying, it merely restricts where that roleplaying can go; in the same vein as the restrictions put on a stage actor who has to follow a script.

Precisely!

That's the core mechanics in which Skill Challenges relied upon. The player choses a Skill to roll (among a selection of available skills in that particular Challenge) then, player and DM work together to create the fiction based on that roll's result.
Well... Is that the best way to look at it? I would say that an SC is just a 'valence establishing mechanism'. Either in or out of an SC the GM describes some fiction (the scene at this point) and then the player says something like "Well, I want to achieve X by doing Y." The GM then calls for a check of some sort (skill, attribute, I guess possibly he might rule that the player is using an item, a power, or even a ritual, though those kinds of things would PROBABLY be explicitly declared by the player). Once the check passes or fails the fiction evolves in such a way that either the character's intent is met, or not. In the case of an SC an overall success/failure end state of the encounter may also be achieved based on the current tally.

I think the above is a bit more explicit than your version and helps surface the major difference with 5e, which is that 5e has neither a rule that binds the GM to any particular result, nor a mechanical framework to establish valence. I mean, a childish example with 5e could be that the GM calls for a Charisma check to convince an NPC of something, and when the player succeeds, he could just call out "well, best 2 out of 3" and ask for another one! Obviously that's not cool, but it is exactly in keeping with the rules, and GMs are almost encouraged, certainly motivated, to carry out less explicit versions of basically that.

pemerton

Legend
Great examples! How do you feel about this one?
I'm not sure about stat/skill checks in 5e. I think they are closer to being something like player-initiated suggestions that the GM might then have regard to when narrating consequences.

There's certainly a reason I didn't include them in my illustrative list!

EDIT: I think @AbdulAlhazred has been making similar points to what I've said in this post.

Last edited:

Remove ads