D&D 5E Roleplaying in D&D 5E: It’s How You Play the Game

clearstream

(He, Him)
Fascinating. This thread is like the cave on Dagobah.

What will you find inside?

View attachment 148278

This is the players’ sole contribution to the game, the other two thirds of the basic pattern belonging to the DM, and is the only way that the players can be said to actually be playing the game.
I sure as hell didn't take this with me. It was found in the cave.

The one true way to play Dungeons and Dragons is to play Dungeons and Dragons!

If you're not playing Dungeons and Dragons, you're not playing Dungeons and Dragons!
I've had sessions that really stretch what could be called "playing Dungeons and Dragons" to the breaking point. One time we had a major encounter (this was back in the 90s, 2E) that was essentially a demigod level threat just coming into existence. We got told by the DM to start rolling our d20s as fast as we could and record every time we got a nat 20 roll under a 1 minute timer and see if we tallied up enough to kill it before it was fully formed.

I've had sessions that really stretch what could be called "playing Dungeons and Dragons" to the breaking point. One time we had a major encounter (this was back in the 90s, 2E) that was essentially a demigod level threat just coming into existence. We got told by the DM to start rolling our d20s as fast as we could and record every time we got a nat 20 roll under a 1 minute timer and see if we tallied up enough to kill it before it was fully formed.
But did you had the option to choose not to attack the demigod? Did your approach to the situation change anything in the outcome? Was there any way to improve your chances to stop the demigod?

If you don't get to make choices and chose your own actions, it's really hard to justify calling that session RPG.

clearstream

(He, Him)
But did you had the option to choose not to attack the demigod? Did your approach to the situation change anything in the outcome? Was there any way to improve your chances to stop the demigod?

If you don't get to make choices and chose your own actions, it's really hard to justify calling that session RPG.
I like that you have honed in on roleplay implying the preservation of choice. One way I have put that is this.
  • Player choice | > character motivation > character actions
Mechanics frequently control actions. They rarely control motivations. DM narrates the results of mechanics, informing player choices without controlling them. In practice, the definition of roleplay largely protects the middle part: player-character motivations.

*The pipe symbol divides real-world from game-world

I like that you have honed in on roleplay implying the preservation of choice. One way I have put that is this.
  • Player choice | > character motivation > character actions
Mechanics frequently control actions. They rarely control motivations. DM narrates the results of mechanics, informing player choices without controlling them. In practice, the definition of roleplay largely protects the middle part: player-character motivations.

*The pipe symbol divides real-world from game-world
Yes, remove players agency and you cannot call it roleplay anymore, no matter how you twist it.

pemerton

Legend
pemerton said:
Suppose (for the sake of analysis) that the game contains rules roughly of the form if a player declares that their PC does X, then mechanism Z is invoked to determine what happens next in the shared fiction. Then one contribution that the players make to the game, beyond determining how their PCs think, act and talk, is to invoke mechanisms via rules of the sort described.[/i]
As you might know, I personally enjoy going with players invoking game mechanisms directly as a kind of shorthand, and also to reify a notion that such mechanisms offer them moments of fiat over the emergent narrative.

The 5th edition core book text itself supports more that players should describe how they are thinking and acting, and DM should invoke the necessary mechanics. There's paragraphs - pages maybe - associating invoking-mechanics with DM's. I haven't noticed anything similar for players.

So I think that form doesn't exist in the text, but stand ready to be corrected with salient references!
I found these three (not only these three, but they're illustrative) in the Basic PDF:

p 37 (Acolyte Background): As an acolyte, you command the respect of those who share your faith, and you can perform the religious ceremonies of your deity. You and your adventuring companions can expect to receive free healing and care at a temple, shrine, or other established presence of your faith, though you must provide any material components needed for spells. Those who share your religion will support you (but only you) at a modest lifestyle.

p 64 (Stealth): While traveling at a slow pace, the characters can move stealthily. As long as they’re not in the open, they can try to surprise or sneak by other creatures they encounter. See the rules for hiding in chapter 7.

pp 72 (Making an Attack), 74 (Damage Rolls), 75 (Dropping to 0 Hit Points): Whether you’re striking with a melee weapon, firing a weapon at range, or making an attack roll as part of a spell, an attack has a simple structure.
1. Choose a target. Pick a target within your attack’s range: a creature, an object, or a location.
2. Determine modifiers. The DM determines whether the target has cover and whether you have advantage or disadvantage against the target. In addition, spells, special abilities, and other effects can apply penalties or bonuses to your attack roll.
3. Resolve the attack. You make the attack roll. On a hit, you roll damage, unless the particular attack has rules that specify otherwise. . . .

Each weapon, spell, and harmful monster ability specifies the damage it deals. You roll the damage die or dice, add any modifiers, and apply the damage to your target. . . .

When you drop to 0 hit points, you either die outright or fall unconscious, as explained in the following sections.​

These at least look to me like mechanical processes which are triggered, or invoked, or enlivened, in virtue of a player declaring that their PC does some particular thing - is an Acolyte who seeks succour from those of their faith; is in a group of PCs who move slowly and sneakily; makes an attack. And each process seems to establish constraints around what happens next in the fiction as an outcome of working through the process.

HammerMan

Legend
People don't agree with my way of playing?!?

south park mob GIF
I thought that was a picture of the social skill threads...

HammerMan

Legend
The one issue I have with the original post is when they say this: "they determine how their characters think, act, and talk and then describe to the rest of the group what they have thus determined. This is the players’ sole contribution to the game."

Uh, I'm sorry... but are we forgetting SNACKS? That's the players' SECOND contribution to the game, thank you very much! You determine how your character thinks and acts, * AND * you put a bag of cheese doodles on the table for me to eat.

Yeah, some of you may say this is "One True Wavy Lays-ism"... but screw you people! I didn't spend all this time prepping this adventure for you to not to pick up some pretzel rods for me. I mean sheesh!

;)
my players contribute ALOT more then that, and when I play so do I

HammerMan

Legend
The rules were quoted and the post ended with the sentence "This is the players’ sole contribution to the game, the other two thirds of the basic pattern belonging to the DM, and is the only way that the players can be said to actually be playing the game."
funny how "nah just the rules" crowd skips that.

HammerMan

Legend
I believe what they’re saying is that deciding how your character thinks, speaks, and acts is the only autonomy the rules explicitly grant players, everything else falling under the DM’s authority. They don’t state any conclusions based on this, so it’s just a factual statement about the rules, but at a guess I suspect they were suggesting that because this is the only power the players are explicitly granted by the rules, DMs shouldn’t take that away from them too.
hey look at that... two people read the same words, and came away with different interpretations... what a shock.

Remove ads