D&D 5E Roleplaying in D&D 5E: It’s How You Play the Game

HammerMan

Legend
What is going on at the table if the players don't have any choices regarding what their PCs are doing? A DM just narrating for several hours?
well it depends... a few years back (still 5e so I know less then 10 years) I played in a game where we were doing dungeon crawl type things then taking 'down time' and when we hit a year or more of down time we would make lists (normally at the end of a multi game crawl) of what we did, and hand them in to the DM, who would then spend the week going through 7 of our notes, and we would come back to what was bassicly a new session 0... he would narrate what happened. Now some times this took an hour then we were back into it, and sometimes it took like 20 minutes then we had to make some choices then it would go on a bit more... but more then once YES this narration of how the world changed took most of if not all of the night.

I remember very clearly the session we found out that the shadow elves we had been warned about since early on (I don't think game 1 but maybe) began there invasion... but it started in a kingdom none of us where in during the downtime (even though Becky had family there, and we all had allies there). We had enough time to hear about all of what was going down, but could not really interact with it (none of us had teleport).

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
"Guidelines", say. Per DMG 244.
"guidelines" and "rules" are interchangeable and have pretty much equal force according to the DMG quotes I put in the other thread, though. And since the DMG says that it's entirely guidelines, page 244 is just a guideline, so it can be a rule if you want it be. 🤷‍♂️

Remove ads