D&D 5E Roleplaying in D&D 5E: It’s How You Play the Game

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
The one issue I have with the original post is when they say this: "they determine how their characters think, act, and talk and then describe to the rest of the group what they have thus determined. This is the players’ sole contribution to the game."

Uh, I'm sorry... but are we forgetting SNACKS? That's the players' SECOND contribution to the game, thank you very much! You determine how your character thinks and acts, * AND * you put a bag of cheese doodles on the table for me to eat.

Yeah, some of you may say this is "One True Wavy Lays-ism"... but screw you people! I didn't spend all this time prepping this adventure for you to not to pick up some pretzel rods for me. I mean sheesh!

;)

Oofta

Legend
A little more explanation of my late-night-half asleep post. :sleep:

I don't think there is or needs to be one definition of role playing, nor do I think the current version of the game "demands" a specific style, or even if it does that it matters. People should do what works for them.

Let's start with:
... “The players describe what they want to do.”
There are some people who would say that you must state "I attempt to climb to get to the top" followed by the DM telling them to do a strength (athletics) is the way to do this. There are others who would be fine with the player stating "I roll a 15 athletics" if it's obvious the PC is climbing the wall; they've just taken a shortcut.*

... This [describe what they want to do] is the players’ sole contribution to the game,
So the player can never take narrative control? If they do, they're playing wrong? Seems very, very one true way and a needlessly strict definition. Not necessarily good nor bad, especially as a general guideline for people that have never played before.

the other two thirds of the basic pattern belonging to the DM, and is the only way that the players can be said to actually be playing the game.
So if a player tells a story about their family or associate, they are not actually playing the game? If a DM has a player describe the tavern, they aren't "actually ... playing the game"? Please tell me I misinterpret this.

But the pièce de résistance, the bit that seems to be the whole point of posting:
... [players describing what they want to do and think, the DM doing everything else] is the only way that the players can be said to actually be playing the game.​
I will never state or imply that other people are not "actually playing the game" based on, well, any personal preference or interpretation of the rules.

Maybe I misunderstand. Maybe it's just a troll with a wig and lipstick. Maybe the OP means exactly what I think and I just couldn't disagree more. There is no one true way.

* I really, really don't care what the book says on this, nor do I want to argue about it. For me, if what they are doing is clear it's fine. Other people find a different approach works for them. 🤷‍♂️

Oofta

Legend
I’m not sure what is controversial here. We have an OP quoting the rules and then, literally, stating the obvious: that roleplaying is how players engage with the game. It is a roleplaying game, after all.
From the title of the thread "it's how you play the game" to the last line "the only way that the players can be said to actually be playing the game." comes off as "If you are not playing the game this way, you're playing it wrong."

As it says in the intro to the DMG "The D&D rules help you and the other players have a good time, but the rules aren’t in charge." The general advice given is just that, general advice. It's not a bad place to start and for some people following the letter of the rules strictly will work best for them. Other people need to find their own groove.

Maybe I'm just antiauthoritarian, I reject the "thou shalt" vibe. It seems as though though the OP just stating the obvious or trolling. If it's the former, I don't really see the point. Why bother? It's like me starting a thread by copying and pasting the rules for fireball. If the latter I guess it's sort of working but I still don't see the point.

From the title of the thread "it's how you play the game" to the last line "the only way that the players can be said to actually be playing the game." comes off as "If you are not playing the game this way, you're playing it wrong."

As it says in the intro to the DMG "The D&D rules help you and the other players have a good time, but the rules aren’t in charge." The general advice given is just that, general advice. It's not a bad place to start and for some people following the letter of the rules strictly will work best for them. Other people need to find their own groove.

Maybe I'm just antiauthoritarian, I reject the "thou shalt" vibe. It seems as though though the OP just stating the obvious or trolling. If it's the former, I don't really see the point. Why bother? It's like me starting a thread by copying and pasting the rules for fireball. If the latter I guess it's sort of working but I still don't see the point.
Sometimes being reminded of the basics is a good chance to reflect on how we approach this game we all love.

Oofta

Legend
Sometimes being reminded of the basics is a good chance to reflect on how we approach this game we all love.
So ... we have to follow your interpretation of the rules and ignore the other text that basically says "do what makes sense to you"?

To me there are hard rules (spell A has this range and effect) and there's guidance. Guidance is just that and you are also explicitly told by the game to do what works for you and your group.

But sure. One true way for the win I guess.

clearstream

(He, Him)
I could be wrong, but my guess is this is saying, “as long as you’re deciding what your character thinks, says, and does, you’re roleplaying.” It’s the opposite of one-true wayism, saying that you don’t have to act in a particular way to be roleplaying, so long as you’re making decisions for your character. But then again, maybe I’m misinterpreting. The opening post doesn’t really have a thesis that I can identify, it’s just kind of stating what the rules say.
"Guidelines", say. Per DMG 244.

So ... we have to follow your interpretation of the rules and ignore the other text that basically says "do what makes sense to you"?
No.

But I've found that it is useful to reflect once in a while on whether how we've been playing (i.e. "what makes sense to us") continues to jive with the basics of the game. Occasionally the ship drifts off course. YMMV

To me there are hard rules (spell A has this range and effect) and there's guidance. Guidance is just that and you are also explicitly told by the game to do what works for you and your group.
And to some, the books contain lots of rules to support the DM in running the game (and, indeed, the players in helping the DM to run the game). Where one decides to draw the line between "hard rules" and "guidance" is completely arbitrary per the "ruling not rules" uber-advice, wouldn't you say?

But sure. One true way for the win I guess.
Not sure why this is even a thing in this discussion. Perhaps we could keep the mud on the ground, yes?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases