Roleplaying since the 80s and I'm really tired!

Woundweaver

Explorer
I've enjoyed reading through their products, and even picked up a few things, but I could never truly be interested in a Pathfinder system because... wait for it!... too many darned books again!! ;)

Not sure I get the too many darned books comments regarding Pathfinder. To use the Pathfinder system you need the one Core Rulebook plus a Bestiary. Everything else is completely optional, such as their Advanced and Ultimate books, or their Gamemastery Guide. In fact you don't even need to buy any of the system books as the system books are available online for free on Paizio's Pathfinder PRD site. So from a financial perspective you can play the game for free if you wanted to or your wallet demands it.

If your complaint is that there are too many setting books for Golorian that has little to do with the Pathfinder System as you can apply the system rules to any setting you want.

In terms of playability and the fun factor of the PF system that's for each person to decide for themselves.

Blackbrrd

First Post
Not sure I get the too many darned books comments regarding Pathfinder. To use the Pathfinder system you need the one Core Rulebook plus a Bestiary. Everything else is completely optional, such as their Advanced and Ultimate books, or their Gamemastery Guide. In fact you don't even need to buy any of the system books as the system books are available online for free on Paizio's Pathfinder PRD site. So from a financial perspective you can play the game for free if you wanted to or your wallet demands it.

If your complaint is that there are too many setting books for Golorian that has little to do with the Pathfinder System as you can apply the system rules to any setting you want.

In terms of playability and the fun factor of the PF system that's for each person to decide for themselves.
I haven't played Pathfinder, but I do think the same way you do. If the game feels complete with just the PHB/DMG/MM I don't mind the splat books. I do also like systems that are a bit quicker reads than 4e which is just sooooo verbose.

Water Bob

Adventurer
I think some GMs need all the books--they have a need to run their games the "official" way. Other GMs are more independent in the way they run their games. Give them a core rulebook that sets them in the right direction, and they will adapt on the spot anything the players have their characters do.

Example of the first GM: "You're going to sneak across this 30 foot section on the map? The rules in the Thief book say that you must make an Average task throw and take a -1 penalty per 10 feet traveled, but the penalty goes back to zero once you hide behind something."

Example of the second GM, running the same game (and owning the Thief book but not up to date with all the rules it contains): "You're going to sneak across this 30 foot section of the map? Roll and opposed roll against the guard's Search, and you made it. Let's move on."

pogre

Legend
follow-up question: Do you think you could have a complete game system contained in a single book that is less than 100 pages? (Ok, rhetoric. Obviously, you can!)

There is a great little fantasy roleplaying game called Barebones Fantasy. It's around 80 pages and it is a complete and well thought out rpg. The pdf is $10. It has very clever and intuitive mechanics that don't require looking rules up. There is a complete magic system, rules for magic item creation, lots of monsters, an adventure generator, a random dungeon generator, and lots of examples.

I just bought it myself and after reading it - I cannot wait to play.

I am in a similar boat to you, although slightly older - and this game appeals to me a lot. Maybe it would work for you? Google some reviews - I think you will be impressed.

I'm not associated with DwD Studios or Barebones fantasy - I just think they've made a great game.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
There is a great little fantasy roleplaying game called Barebones Fantasy. It's around 80 pages and it is a complete and well thought out rpg. The pdf is $10. It has very clever and intuitive mechanics that don't require looking rules up. There is a complete magic system, rules for magic item creation, lots of monsters, an adventure generator, a random dungeon generator, and lots of examples.

I just bought it myself and after reading it - I cannot wait to play.

I am in a similar boat to you, although slightly older - and this game appeals to me a lot. Maybe it would work for you? Google some reviews - I think you will be impressed.

I'm not associated with DwD Studios or Barebones fantasy - I just think they've made a great game.
Thank you, (and those like you), for two reasons:

a) For informing me about a game system that could be what I'm looking for these days. Not only did you point out a title that I might not have heard about, but you also provided me with information on *why* the game might be interesting to me based on what I had said. Very helpful, and very much appreciated!

b) I'd also like to thank you for *not* telling me what so many people think I want to hear, such as:

* Point out the obvious titles that get mentioned at least twice a week on the front page of EN World, and a dozen times a day on any number of threads. Just because someone doesn't post all the time doesn't mean they don't read or visit one of the most supported and iconic sites for gamers!.

* Offer the most obvious/obnoxious advice as if no one could have *ever* thought of it on their own; especially, offering that kind of advice to someone who makes it perfectly clear (check the title of this thread!) that they've been in the game for a long time. (i.e. "Don't buy books you don't like", "Older games don't expire", "Just use the core books", "Try different games <without actually suggesting anything, or point out obvious titles I would most likely already be aware of>", etc.)

I could go on with that list, but it wouldn't really apply to you. So, again, thanks! :)

Greenfield

Adventurer
I feel your pain.

I played when it was three paper-bound books. Then I played Basic. Then AD&D (I never thought "Expert" was worth the trouble). The 2nd Ed. (I skipped "Immortals" too). 3.0 and 3.5 were good, mechanically, though the rapid level advancement inhibited the RP side of character development, in my opinion. Then I moved to 4e.

Then I moved back to 3.5. Not going into Edition Wars here but my group concurred and we've had a lot of fun with it.

During that time I've played a lot of other games. Champions (starting with the gray-covered saddle-stitched rule book), and through several editions that followed. V&V. Shadow Run and it's many following editions.

One thought that came through, particularly with Shadow Run and Battle Tech: How many times do I have to buy the rules, before I have the rules?

Shadow Run was a particularly serious offender, with every supplement substantially changing the basic rules. You didn't even have to wait for a new edition!

So yeah, I've also done the gamer-burnout thing.

My advice? If you still enjoy the social interaction, the story and the character development, thenpick an edition you know and like, and run with it. All the gaming fun, no more money spent on new editions.

With D&D there's still a strong 3.5 community out there,and Pathfinder isn't that far off of it if you lik g for it.

If you're just tired of the whole thing, well, it's always sad to lose someone from the community, but you do what you need to for your own fun and happiness.

And good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Remove ads