Roleplaying Warlord powers

cmbarona

First Post
How do you roleplay your Warlord powers? I'm interested in hearing how other players try to inspire and/or command their fellow teammates, since I'm sometimes at a loss for words when my turn comes up and I'd like to expand my "inspiring" vocabulary.

Please specify each power before your description of it. For example:

Knight's Move: "Dmitri, quit screwing around and flank this one!"

Inspiring Word (on myself): "Balasar of Honorblood will not fall to a mere insect!"

Tony Vargas

Legend
Well, you don't /have/ to RP a power use every time. I've only ever known one gamer who actually chanted words of power when his character cast a spell, for instance.

But, if the situation is ripe for it, it's fun, and it can differentiate your warlord a bit. If you're the drill seargent type, you can shout some insults, if you're the noble knight you can make a 'St. Crispin's Day' speach.

I RP some of my powers, and use it to highlight my relationship with the other characters, or play to thier character concepts a little. Our rogue is my warlord's childhood friend, and bit of a jerk, so throw in a little good natured ribbing. The party defenders, OTOH, are actual soldiers under my command, so I'm more likely to shout orders to them - making that a little more interesting is that one of them takes orders in a different language, Deep Speach, and, because the player is a major otaku, Japanese stands in for Deep Speach. That's actually kinda fun, because he really does speak japanese, so when I read a word or phrase off my note card, he generally gets it better than if I say the name of the power.

Often, though, I don't actually RP it. There are only so many powers a 4e character gets, and after a while, Inspiring Word is just inspiring word, and it doesn't really add much to try to come up with a new cool thing to say every time.

We generally treat other classes' powers the same way. Sometimes the fighter describes the move or the DM describes the effect on the victim in detail, but often it's enough to get through his turn and figure out which exploit, whether he hit and how much damage was dealt.

How do you roleplay your Warlord powers? I'm interested in hearing how other players try to inspire and/or command their fellow teammates, since I'm sometimes at a loss for words when my turn comes up and I'd like to expand my "inspiring" vocabulary.

Please specify each power before your description of it. For example:

Knight's Move: "Dmitri, quit screwing around and flank this one!"

Inspiring Word (on myself): "Balasar of Honorblood will not fall to a mere insect!"

Well, you could try this:

[ame=http://mx.youtube.com/watch?v=OAvmLDkAgAM]YouTube - Henry V- Speech[/ame]

Zhure

First Post
My Dwarven Warlord carries a small bag of dirt from his homeland for Inspiring Word.
"Rub some dirt in it!"
Z

Dragonbait

Explorer
My dragonborn cleric of Ioun has the Warlord multiclass power. I try to merge the two concepts when I use the warlord's ability. He will often spout something like "Plin! You faced an aspect of Orcus and didn't give up then, and you're not going to give up now!" or something along those lines. Typically merging a past lesson learned with the situation at hand.

Other times I'll be less imaginative and just say "Stop being a sissy!" or "Get off your ass and keep fighting!" like a coach. That's really not official RP, though. I'm just being lazy :yawn:

The dwarf warlord in my other group will act like a coach, as above. When he pulls on other warlord abilities (Encounters per Day powers that give bonuses), he'll give an inspiring speech.

serow

First Post
My warlord character is a 17 year old punk, so his powers are flavoured mainly using taunts, finger snapping, tongue sticking, chest banging, booty slapping, under the belt punches.

My DM allows me to flavour his heal checks in combat (to activate unspent second winds) as giving a swift kick to his party members while gently mocking them.

Atomo

First Post
My warlord is based on Captain Nascimento (a character from a Brazilian movie). He does the tyrant sargeant from army seems an angel ;)

"Cast off your fat butt from there and kill that one!"

"Do you think that was a strike? THIS is a strike!" *attack an opponent and give some bonus to the allies* "Now strike right!"

"If you die, I will go to the Nine Hells spank your soul. Then stop to cry as a silly lady and do your job!" *activating someone's else healing surge*

And some other quotes I will not put here because the grandma's rule :p

Remove ads