• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RolePlayingMaster 3.0 available - major revamp and new features

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Luke said:

I was fully in jest, as per the " ;) " . Sorry you got frosted.

I actually found this quite useful though, as you set me thinking in creative ways about using my generators. After a bit of thinking, I saw what you meant too. Basically RPM is about creating RPG content (generating and calculating), and something like Word Perfect is about presentation.

I do have various output capabilities, if you want to fine-tune your printed results, and I'd be reasonably confident that Word Perfect could read at least a Word .doc file, if not an HTML file.

I'm guessing now that you're talking mostly about adventure/campaign building, and you should be able to get very quick results in the future, doing things like the following:

- Use either manual, or generator methods to build maps, locations, encounters, treasure, features etc.
- If you use generators, you could use the defaults, or build your own (even for a sci-fi setting), leveraging the huge RPG database available to you.
- With generators, or manual methods, all objects (magic, weapons, armor, feats, ray guns, whatever), would be real objects that have their game mechanics effects taken into account.
- Generated material could be edited, removed, or added to (eg for rooms in a dungeon map, or monsters, treasure and features in the rooms). I've never been a big fan of generators that give you hard coded results that you cannot then mess with until it suits you properly.
- As a dungeon level example, a properly edited level could be added to your current adventure.
- When you're done (assuming you don't want to use the computer in-game), do a full adventure report, prehaps exporting to Word for further tinkering.
- There is a new "under construction" report writer available, where you can cook up your own character sheets or adventure reports. A simplified report might be good for exporting to something like Word.

The example picture below is something I'm cooking on the slab. Its using hard-coded generators, rather than my fully configurable ones, but hopefully it paints a decent picture of my plans...

Glad I took a deep breath then before replying. :) As I wrote I suspect that I have a sore point there, perhaps because I was behind the door when the tact was handed out. And your right, presentation was the word I kept trying to hit and missing. I don't know why it is so important to me, I only do two or three adventures every year that are ever seen by anyone besides myself. (Two are for workshops I run in the summer, one is a birthday or Christmas present, so far one or the other, not both. (The celebration not getting the adventure gets a figure, sometimes for the adventure. The recipient only has three days between his birthday and Christmas.))

But in fact I always twiddle with the layout, even when the adventure is for my eyes only. (A process made that much longer by having over a thousand fonts. Did I mention that I really like BitStream'sFont Navigator? It came with WP and I fell in love...) So anything that can reduce the time spent twiddling, no matter how enjoyable such twiddling may be, is to the good.

WP does in fact read both .doc and .html files, so no problem there. I had a chance to fiddle a bit with RPM last night. Ran into a snag with the tile mapper, after loading some .bmp maps I tried adding one with your tile mapper and the program locked up. I haven't tried to recreate the incident yet, so I can't tell if it is really a bug or not.

Also, is there a tutorial for RPM yet? A step by step might be a good way to introduce the program, I know that the tutorial for Fractal Mapper did a better job of explaining the program than the manual. (Old dog, new tricks...) Of course it may be there and I missed it, It only took me about ten minutes to lock it up, then I went to bed.

Thans for the reply, I will try RPM again tomorrow night, and try to recreate the lock up.

The Auld Grump, the first word processer I ever used was Electric Pencil on the TRS 80, it came on a cassette tape....

Last edited:

Luke

Explorer
TheAuldGrump said:
Also, is there a tutorial for RPM yet? A step by step might be a good way to introduce the program, I know that the tutorial for Fractal Mapper did a better job of explaining the program than the manual. (Old dog, new tricks...) Of course it may be there and I missed it, It only took me about ten minutes to lock it up, then I went to bed.

I talked a bit about doco 2 posts up, but that was more about developing your own RPG material with game mechanics included.

In the Guide you find a step-by-step tutorial for in-game combat management (which is oviously the hardest part of RPG computer use). I recently uploaded a character generation tutorial by RPM fan Joe Sweeney, which you can find in the news.

I gather, however, that you're more into adventure preparation, which I don't yet have a "step-by-step" for. Its usually quite useful to press the help toolbar button found at the top of (almost) every window, for notes on whatever you happen to currently have open.
One problem with "step-by-step" tutorials is that they typically need lots of screenshots which either make for very large downloads, or slow browsing.
There's also a slight philosophical difficulty with RPM and "step-by-step" tutorials. The issue is that RPM is designed to be a flexible tool that lets you operate the way you want to, rather than something that precribes a particular way of doing things ( step by step).
This admittedly does mean it takes a little more initial time to learn things when you first start to use RPM, but people tell me that ultimately its much more flexible, and they can use it in a way that best suits their own taste.
I'll use a recent misconception I've addressed: you don't *have* to formally set up an encounter to do actions (attacks, damage, skill checks, saves etc). That is only really necessary when you want automatic XP calculation at the end. Also, you don't *have* to use the initiative system. That's just useful if you want RPM to keep you informed of whose turn it is next. Lastly, you don't *have* to manage your encounters with the initiave/round system. Thats just useful if you want RPM to automatically manage time for you, and automatically expire conditions, spell effects and do stabilize checks for dying creatures.
Similarly with adventures, use of the details tree (for plot, credits, chapters etc), or for maps (along with locations and items), is all optional.
That said, as soon as time permits, or a fan produces something (as Joe has), I'll make more step-step examples available.

Don't worry about tact. Net text is notorious for getting yourself misinterpreted, and I was the one taking the risk ;)

Regards,

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Luke said:

I talked a bit about doco 2 posts up, but that was more about developing your own RPG material with game mechanics included.

>Snip<

One problem with "step-by-step" tutorials is that they typically need lots of screenshots which either make for very large downloads, or slow browsing.

There's also a slight philosophical difficulty with RPM and "step-by-step" tutorials. The issue is that RPM is designed to be a flexible tool that lets you operate the way you want to, rather than something that precribes a particular way of doing things ( step by step).

This admittedly does mean it takes a little more initial time to learn things when you first start to use RPM, but people tell me that ultimately its much more flexible, and they can use it in a way that best suits their own taste.
I'll use a recent misconception I've addressed: you don't *have* to formally set up an encounter to do actions (attacks, damage, skill checks, saves etc). That is only really necessary when you want automatic XP calculation at the end. Also, you don't *have* to use the initiative system. That's just useful if you want RPM to keep you informed of whose turn it is next. Lastly, you don't *have* to manage your encounters with the initiave/round system. Thats just useful if you want RPM to automatically manage time for you, and automatically expire conditions, spell effects and do stabilize checks for dying creatures.
Similarly with adventures, use of the details tree (for plot, credits, chapters etc), or for maps (along with locations and items), is all optional.
That said, as soon as time permits, or a fan produces something (as Joe has), I'll make more step-step examples available.

Don't worry about tact. Net text is notorious for getting yourself misinterpreted, and I was the one taking the risk ;)

Regards,

Thanks! Didn't get a chance to get back to RPM yet, just got back from work, and now to bed. In fact I missed the posts about Docs, having started the reply and then had to use the phone, so the reply sat on my screen about an hour before I sent it. But yeah, in game use of my big grey box is not what I am looking for, prep is what I am looking for.

You're right about tutorials and long downloads/slow browsing, however you may want to think about it for any CD rom version you may produce. (I tend to prefer CDs myself, just in case my box goes *Flooie!*) I realize that is most likely several versions down the road, but something to think about. I am going to download your sample adventure and look that over in leiu of a tutorial.

I find that having an example is the quickest way to familiarize yourself with most things, not just programs.

And a quick question: What is the name of the Role Playing Master Yahoo group? (Having a suspicion that it's something like 'Role Playing Master Group' or some such.)

The Auld Grump, you know, my Grandmother used to say 'half in jest and full earnest', maybe that's where the sore point came from...

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I'm trying it out for the first time, using it to create some PC's. Haven't had a chance to go try the other features, but it looks pretty darn good.

Some questions.

When I delete a skill, it doesn't recycle my skill points back.

I have one character, Fighter, 1st level, with a 14 CON and Great Fortitude, but it keeps telling me my Fort save is +4 instead of +6.

The statblock only shows my ranks in a skill, not the total.

Any ideas? Am I missing something?

Luke

Explorer
WayneLigon said:
I'm trying it out for the first time, using it to create some PC's. Haven't had a chance to go try the other features, but it looks pretty darn good.

When I delete a skill, it doesn't recycle my skill points back.
This is all a lot more complicated that might first meet the eye. The simple answer is to "just do the right thing" and level up your skills, then don't fiddle with them.
The complexity is that its important to know where the skill points came from when you delete a skill, or subtract points. You almost need to keep a little history which you maintain, at the cost of speed. I think I'll need to put something like that in, in an update (I've allowed for it to an extent already), but I also want to keep instant encounter generation really fast.

I have one character, Fighter, 1st level, with a 14 CON and Great Fortitude, but it keeps telling me my Fort save is +4 instead of +6.
There were a number of variable changes that were made on the big update. The modifier tags behind "Great Fortitude" may still need a quick name edit. I'll check and fix for the next update.

The statblock only shows my ranks in a skill, not the total.
This is a big topic, and there is no right answer. It strikes at the heart of what the statblock means, and how accurate they really are. Here we go...
Firstly, if you use RPM in game to manage your character (or creatures if you're a DM), then everything is available and any options can be examined and ticked, or unticked. Here are some examples:
- A crocodile only gets its massive Hide bonus if its in muddy water.
- Sometimes synergy bonuses only apply under certain conditions, or master tools for certain types of checks for a given skill.
- The dwarf carft bonus only applies in certain cases involving stonework.
- Your total typically depends on your current attribute modifier (Str, Dex etc). Its not uncommon to have your attributes modified by Cat's Grace, Bull's Strength, exhaustion, being shaken, poison, or any other manner of magic, equipment, or situations.

The point is what does a total really mean on a statblock?. The statblock doesn't cater for all these different situations. This means that you basically need to identify every modifier known to you at the time, for every skill, and put a sufficient description next to it, that you can decide which applies, and which doesn't, when you come to use it.
It begs the question, "do people really want long statblock reports"? So far, this is about the first mention of only having ranks, so I assume it not typically much of an issue. Perhaps more people use RPM in-game than I realize? If you can manage a computer at the table, skill checks in RPM are a reasonably wondrous thing.

So far, I leave it at ranks, which is comparatively little information, but very accurate - encouraging you you work out the actual total according to the current situation ;) . That said, I do maintain totals, and am happy to report them. The totals update when used in game, but I worry about the false sense of security many take in statblocks.

If you want it different, people, let me know :)

Regards,

smetzger

Explorer
Luke said:

So far, this is about the first mention of only having ranks, so I assume it not typically much of an issue.

I believe I have mentioned this before. I would definantly like to be able to print out a statblock that I can use at the game table, the skill rank statblock does not allow me to do this.

*:> Scott

Da Man

Explorer
Downloaded it (first time experimenter here), installed it on a Win2K Pro machine and began to work through the Tutorial (some kind of sample combat).

During this process, the install continues to Lock Up (and will usually crash if I have the patience to wait for it) whenever I am on the screen that views opponents in differing lists and I try to select ALL of the elves (to be honest, I have no reason to select them all in this manner, but was merely monkeying around with the program when I came across this and verified it on an uninstall/reinstall).

P.S. There may be another place to post bugs, but I never found it.

Last edited:

Luke

Explorer
Da Man said:
Downloaded it (first time experimenter here), installed it on a Win2K Pro machine and began to work through the Tutorial (some kind of sample combat).

During this process, the install continues to Lock Up (and will usually crash if I have the patience to wait for it) whenever I am on the screen that views opponents in differing lists and I try to select ALL of the elves (to be honest, I have no reason to select them all in this manner, but was merely monkeying around with the program when I came across this and verified it on an uninstall/reinstall).

P.S. There may be another place to post bugs, but I never found it.
I'm confused. The installer locked up whilst you were doing a sample combat? Isn't the app already installed at that point?

Sounds like you may have been playing with various ways of listing current creatures (which can be slow if you view ALL, since they ALL get loaded in then - to memory, for on-going calculation). Whilst I couldn't reproduce a problem, there could easily be one. I've changed the way this works for the next release. Its much simpler and faster internally, and was actually done mostly so that the "Current Encounter" view is only relevant to the current adventure being played. This will make it much simpler for DMs running multiple adventures, and clear up what can be currently (understandably) a bit confusing for people.

By the way, I do have a "Message Forum" on my web site, which people generally use to report any bugs. You can also e-mail me directly. Its good to do some kind of public post, though, so others can see that a problem has been identified to me, and is being dealt with. :)

Thanks,

Remove ads