D&D 5E Rolling Hit Points Tweak

redrick

First Post
I switched my game to average because we had some new players who consistently showed up with extremely high hit points, and it became too frustrating to unpack things without knowing what their rolls had been at each level. (Our fighter showed up at level 4 and said, "I take the toughness feat. So now I have 100 hit points.") It's nice, when you have players who are likely to make honest mistakes on their character sheet, to be able to look at their level and their con score and say, "you should have x number of hit points. next." (Oh, and now I'm going to drop some old-school effect on you that lowers your constitution by 6 points for the next 24 hours. Now you have x-15 hitpoints.)

If I were to go back to rolling, I'd probably go the cold-hearted DM route and house-rule the average to rounded down, like @CapnZapp suggests. I'd probably combine it with rare magic effects that could permanently increase hp by a point or two. That way, a character who rolls a 1 at level up has some hope of an improvement.

Remove ads