RPG Crowdfunding News – BREAK!!, RŌNIN, TEETH, and more

This week’s article covers RPG crowdfunding projects that end between May 11 to 19. Why does this batch of project end so soon? Because in my writing week-to-week, I managed to jump ahead a week, which resulted in missing, well, all of the following offerings. So let’s give these their due, just note that they end sooner than normal.

BREAK!! - A TRPG inspired by fantasy videogames and anime.jpg

BREAK!! - A TRPG inspired by fantasy videogames and anime from Grey Wizard
  • END DATE: Wed, May 17 2023 8:00 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): An original d20 system
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £45 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? If you’re looking for a diverse anime RPG that uses a d20, BREAK!! may be for you. 470 pages with rules, setting, and monsters, this is a game inspired by anime, Super Nintendo titles, and 1970s/80s RPGs with mentions of the Secret of Mana, Nausicaa, Teenagers from Outerspace, D&D, and more. 10 years in the making, this project is colorful, looks anime, and promises a lot of fun options. If you’re interested, there’s a preview linked on the campaign page.

Iron Kingdoms- Into the Deep Wild (5e).jpg

Iron Kingdoms: Into the Deep Wild (5e) from Privateer Press
  • END DATE: Thu, May 11 2023 8:00 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Editon
  • PROJECT TYPE: Adventure
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $115 (early bird option) + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the three books plus post cards and a compass
  • TRY BEFORE YOU BUY: Bundle of Holding is offering quite a deal on the IRON KINGDOMS: REQUIEM
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? As a Free RPG Day sponsor (you can get some Iron Kingdoms Free RPG Day products here), I want to shine a spotlight on what they’re offering. Privateer Press’ Iron Kingdoms is their standout setting including for 5e. This campaign offers three new books: Iron Kingdoms: Into the Deep Wild, Monsternomicon: The Lost Pages, and Iron Kingdoms: Deep Wild Expeditions. Each book offers different elements of the wilds, lands without true owners. The books have rules and lore, adventures, and over 100 monsters to combat. Ending soon, this campaign is worth checking out for fans of 5e and the Iron Kingdoms.

Zeck's Shoppe of Riches, A Collection of OSR Magic Items.jpg

Zeck's Shoppe of Riches, A Collection of OSR Magic Items from Philip Reed Games
  • END DATE: Mon, May 15 2023 5:00 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): OSR
  • PROJECT TYPE: RPG zines
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $5 for the PDF of both books
  • ADDITIONAL REPORTING: I interviewed Philip Reed about this project here
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This campaign provides three more RPG zines from Philip Reed. First up is the titular zine, Zeck's Shoppe of Riches. Think d100 OSR magic items, all meant to kickstart your imagination. These range from mundane to campaign breakers, so use as you see fit. Next up is Tischler's Tome of Treasures, which is more of the same, d100 magic items and rumors. Again, these are items that’ll inspire the GM. Finally, Fichte’s Rumors of Lost Treasures is a 20-page booklet that adds d100 new rumors and two dozen new magic items to the mix. It’s a stretch goal with the PDF unlocked, but the print version would require a big leap in funding to reach. Still, if you want some magic item guidance, these are likely to spark new ideas for your campaign.

Forgotten Ballad - A Sword & Song Adventure Game.jpg

Forgotten Ballad - A Sword & Song Adventure Game from Bloat Games
  • END DATE: Mon, May 15 2023 6:00 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): An original system
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $9 for the PDF of the book
  • DISCLAIMER: I have been published by Bloat Games. I am not a part of this project
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This project expands a one-page pamphlet homage to The Legend of Zelda into a 52-page full RPG experience. The rules are lite, the art is both an homage to The Legend of Zelda and its own art style. As soon as you check out the pamphlet, you’ll feel the world and see the possibilities. With this Kickstarter, you’ll get the extras you need to take this from an engine where you will fill in the blanks to a full RPG experience. As Bloat Games continues to move from exclusively publishing internally developed projects to publishing RPGs from external creators. Fellipe da Silva’s original pamphlet, The Legend of The Forgotten Ballad, caught Eric Bloat’s eye when a fan brought it up during Bloat’s Kickstarter for Overworld. After Fellipe’s Crowdfundr campaign for the 52-page version of the game ran in February/March of this year, Eric approached him about doing a hardcover edition using Bloat’s printer for delivery to US backers, which resulted in this campaign. For non-US fans, Fellipe will offer copies of the zine from his Crowdfundr after he fulfills his campaign. If you’re a fan of rules lite RPGs and The Legend of Zelda, this is worth picking up. You can check out the campaign page for a link to the preview of the game.

Back to BasiX Issue #12 Fanzine.jpg

Back to BasiX Issue #12 Fanzine from ThrowiGames
  • END DATE: Mon, May 15 2023 9:30 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons B/X, Old-School Essentials, and OSR
  • PROJECT TYPE: RPG zine
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $6 for the POD discount code for the zine. If you want the PDF as well, it’s another $2 as an add-on
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Back to BasiX is, uh, back! Producing 10 issues in the late 20-teens and special in 2021, this project returns with another issue. Each issue offers insight into B/X products old and new. In this issue, there are reviews of X2 Castle Amber by Tom Moldvay and Adventurers Wanted! from New Big Dragon Games, a convention exclusive adventure. There’s an interview with Gavin Norman of Necrotic Gnome, a comic by Travis Hanson, and several adventures for your gaming group. In terms of graphics, I am a huge fan of the logo for Back to BasiX. The enlarged “B” and “X” in the logo visually call out the system that this project promotes. If you’re a fan of old school products, this is worth checking out.

The Hydracore System.jpg

The Hydracore System from 13th Moon Games
  • END DATE: Tue, May 16 2023 3:16 PM EDT.
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $20 for the PDF of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Need an original system that uses d12s? This project spins out of 13th Moon Games’ Coven & Crucible. From jump, this system will be released under the Creative Commons CCBY 4.0 license so fans can use it as they see fit. The artwork by Charlotte Moon is a primary selling point. Heavily photo referenced, the images show an artistic aesthetic that pulls me in and makes me think about what this green world might offer. If you’re looking for an original engine that is open for any type of play, this is worth exploring.

Korg Slayer - A Solo-TTRPG Game.jpg

Korg Slayer | A Solo-TTRPG Game from Dungeon Havoc
  • END DATE: Fri, May 19 2023 8:56 AM EDT.
  • PROJECT TYPE: RPG expansion
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $7 for the PDF and print versions of the cards plus additional PDFs
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? The solo RPG, Korg, has an expansion. Korg rules fit on a credit card sized card. The game asks you to explore dungeons or shop for items to explore dungeons until your character gain 50 gold pieces and retires. This expansion changes the goal to slaying a notable foe and adds new locations for the slayage. At their price point, Korg and Korg Slayer make for great gifts. If you want a solo RPG that fits in your wallet, this project awaits.

RŌNIN.jpg

RŌNIN from Slightly Reckless Games
  • END DATE: Thu, May 18 2023 5:00 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): MÖRK BORG
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £35 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the book plus other PDFs
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? MÖRK BORG for samurai. If you want to bring MÖRK BORG’s rules lite violence to a fantasy Japan analog, this project awaits. For GMs, if you’re imagining a campaign of masterless samurai seeking to restore their honor or die trying, this project offers those options and more. There are a number of creators working on this project including Sachiko Suzuki, their sensitivity reader and editor. It’s important to include someone versed in the real world analogs so the material is presented respectfully.

TEETH- a role-playing game.jpg

TEETH: a role-playing game from Big Robot
  • END DATE: Fri, May 19 2023 8:36 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Forged in the Dark
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £35 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the book plus additional PDFs
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? In 18th-century England, there’s a moor where terrible creatures rule. You’re tasked with clearing this land and keeping the locals flow of occult artefacts moving. You have a time limit, by the spring the lands will be sealed off and you’ll be trapped. At 320 pages, this project offers a lot of setting, intrigue, and rules to inspire dark dealings as your adventurers learn more about the world. TEETH’s Forged in the Dark rules are tweaked to emphasize occult investigations, monster hunting, mutations, and insurrection. If the idea of a months long exploration appeals to you, this campaign is worth a look.

Egg Embry participates in the OneBookShelf Affiliate Program, Noble Knight Games’ Affiliate Program, and is an Amazon Associate. These programs provide advertising fees by linking to DriveThruRPG, Noble Knight Games, and Amazon.

Egg Embry

Egg Embry

Aldarc

Legend
It really feels like WotC has missed a bet by not creating a JRPG-inspired setting, especially as a way to take another crack at the Asian market.
It's not like there's isn't a shortage of them released within the past few years. Fabula Ultima was just released for English-speakers in Fall 2022, and it's already Mithril on DriveThruRPG.

Yep, I already backed it a few weeks ago. The art totally sold me. Well, that and the fact that "Murder Princess" is a class. :)
Ironically, that's what turned me off from Break. The mix of generic and more thematically-specialized classes isn't really my thing.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It's not like there's isn't a shortage of them released within the past few years. Fabula Ultima was just released for English-speakers in Fall 2022, and it's already Mithril on DriveThruRPG.
Oh, I'm not saying there's a gap for the customers. Just another example of WotC not doing something that everyone else seems to think is an obvious win.

During the whole "monetization" fiasco, everyone immediately jumped to worrying about microtransactions, when the truth is that WotC seems to have been consistently leaving money on the table in much more basic ways.

JRPG/manga/anime-inspired stuff is probably one of the biggest flavors of fantasy around today, and WotC is publishing none of it.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Ironically, that's what turned me off from Break. The mix of generic and more thematically-specialized classes isn't really my thing.
In other games that would probably bother me, yea, but I'll forgive a lot when a book is both that pretty and completely in my wheelhouse, subject-wise.

Plus, I'm kind of guessing that the Princess classes are the two flavors of "Cleric/Support" class in the game, so they might end up being a little more generic.. The classes look like they break down into 2 variations of the "Big 4" classes.

Warrior = Champion and Raider
Rogue/Expert = Sneak and Factotum
Mage = Sage and Heretic
Cleric/Support = Battle Princess and Murder Princess

Highly recommend Break. I've been following this for a long time since it's taken many years for development on the game to finish up. If you like the JRPG style of game, this looks amazing.

Yep, I already backed it a few weeks ago. The art totally sold me. Well, that and the fact that "Murder Princess" is a class. :)

I only found out about this a couple of weeks ago. It certainly has things I am interested in (anime and JRPGs)… just not really the ones I like that much haha. Still, it has potential and from what I read the writer is planning to add more in the future. What sold me is the presentation, so I will be backing it. Hopefully they do add stuff i am more into in the not too distant future.

Ronin bums me out a bit. I thought we were finally at a point where a bunch of white dudes wouldn't want to lean all the way into corny old Japanese stereotypes, but the fact that you play people who committed seppuku, and even then still just wander around buying the same nonsense Bushido tropes that you murdered yourself over...just blah. I'm sure there's some awesome content in there about saving face. It's like playing Mork Borg if you were a bunch of knights. Totally missing the punk, iconoclastic core of that game.

Also there's a Drunken Monk class, which, cool stuff, way to conflate an immensely played-out China-related trope with Japanese stuff.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Ronin bums me out a bit. I thought we were finally at a point where a bunch of white dudes wouldn't want to lean all the way into corny old Japanese stereotypes, but the fact that you play people who committed seppuku, and even then still just wander around buying the same nonsense Bushido tropes that you murdered yourself over...just blah. I'm sure there's some awesome content in there about saving face. It's like playing Mork Borg if you were a bunch of knights. Totally missing the punk, iconoclastic core of that game.

Also there's a Drunken Monk class, which, cool stuff, way to conflate an immensely played-out China-related trope with Japanese stuff.
I think this is a good example of why WotC won't do something JRPG related, as anything they would do would get this reaction. JRPGs are full of corny old stereotypes from Japanese culture, and are a pastiche of early western RPG tropes as well. Yes, I know this Ronin a very different game from a very different company but I'm sure whatever WotC would do would be amplified many times.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases