RPG Crowdfunding News – DIE, Kalymba, Mutants in the Next, and more

This week’s article covers a sampling of RPG crowdfunding projects ending between May 27th and June 26th. It’s a collection of 5e options, original systems, and comic book tie-ins, both official and unofficial.

This week’s article covers a sampling of RPG crowdfunding projects ending between May 27th and June 26th. It’s a collection of 5e options, original systems, and comic book tie-ins, both official and unofficial.

DIE- The Roleplaying Game.png

DIE: The Roleplaying Game from Rowan, Rook and Decard
  • END DATE: Fri, June 10 2022 1:00 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): An original system
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £40 + S/H for the PDF and hardcover of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Rowan, Rook and Decard is adapting Kieron Gillen and Stephanie Hans Hugo-nominated Image comic, DIE, for tabletop RPG. If you’re a fan of the comic, you knew this had to happen; taking the premise of roleplayers being sucked into their fantasy game, this isn’t strictly an attempt to escape the fantasy world, for some there’s a reason to stay. In this RPG, you’ll make deeply flawed personas that play the game only to be sucked into another realm, one where their worst inclinations become their driving traits. If you’re a fan of the comic, this 300-page rulebook gives you content by game creators as well as the comic author and the cover artist; it’s a must have for fans of the comic. The system is built to recreate the comic’s concept: What would broken people do in a fantasy world that feeds on their worst inhibitions. Check out the campaign page to download a free beta version of the rules.

Sinclair's Library - PF2  5E - NPC Codex and Player Guide.png

Sinclair's Library - PF2 / 5E - NPC Codex and Player Guide from Nonat1s
  • END DATE: Thu, June 2 2022 9:59 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition and Pathfinder 2nd Edition
  • PROJECT TYPE: Sourcebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $40 for the PDF of both books plus digital assets
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This campaign offers two books for two systems. Sinclair’s Codex is a tome of NPCs. Sinclair’s Almanac is a collection of options for new ancestries, powers, and magic items. Books of NPCs are always welcome, but this one goes the extra mile and gives you civilians, bandits, heroes, villains, guilds, and more. The other gives a new class and new rules such as teamwork feats. While the content looks amazing, what’s most interesting is the systems that are on offer: 5e and Pathfinder 2nd Edition. It’s great to see a well-received project supporting PF2e. If you’re interested, check out the campaign page for more details.

Campaign Builder- Cities  Towns for 5th Edition.jpg

Campaign Builder: Cities & Towns for 5th Edition from Kobold Press
  • END DATE: Fri, June 10 2022 7:00 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $44 + S/H for the PDF and hardcover of the book plus the Roll20 version of the Map Folio
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? The Campaign Builder: Cities & Towns hardcover gives advice from the experts about creating and enhancing fantasy cities. If your 5e campaign needs unique cities that burst with life from temples to rumors and related NPCs, this book promises an excellent selection. The Cities & Towns Map Folio provides maps and monsters to give the city a greater grounding and edge of danger. The ten maps are wet/dry-erase battle maps measuring 24” by 36”, meaning you get a good bit of room to explore and fight in the city. If you need support for your city, check out the campaign page to download a preview of the book.

Kalymba Roleplaying Game.jpg

Kalymba Roleplaying Game from Craftando Games
  • END DATE: Sun, June 26 2022 11:00 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): An original system
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $25 for the PDFs of the core rulebook and the adventures book plus soundtracks
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? In November 2021, I covered the original campaign for this book before it was canceled and relaunched. What I said then still applies: “This campaign will translate the Brazilian RPG, Kalymba, into English. Inspired by the cultures and mythologies of Africa, this game offers a fantasy world of sword and soul.” While I might choose to recycle my review of their work, they did not having stepped up their write-up across the last half year. The core rulebook comes to over 300 pages, includes 10 player ancestries, gods, creatures, spells, and a unique system. If you’re interested in an Africa-inspired RPG, this is worth checking out.

Ylera Valley (5e fantasy eldritch horror setting).jpg

Ylera Valley (5e fantasy/eldritch horror setting) from Limitless Adventures
  • END DATE: Fri, May 27 2022 6:00 PM EDT.
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $15 for the PDF of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This campaign setting is a mountain valley, an area to add to your campaign. It’s coolest element is the story: The valley is ruled by an evil lich you’re out to overthrow, only he’s the lesser evil and overthrowing him opens up a whole new world of horrors. This 100-page book includes settlements, encounters, maps, ten new monsters, and more. If you need a morally gray valley for adventures, this is an interesting add to any campaign.

Homebrew and Hacking- Crafting Personalised Feats.png

Homebrew and Hacking: Crafting Personalised Feats from Homebrew and Hacking
  • END DATE: Thu, June 9 2022 12:00 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition and Level Up! Advanced Fifth Edition
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £8 for the PDF of the book
  • DISCLAIMER: PJ Coffey co-hosts Morrus’ Unofficial Tabletop RPG Talk
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Need feats and an organized way to create them? PJ Coffey of Level Up! fame offers another expansion to 5e and A5e, this one taking feats in a new direction. If you want to tailor feats to your characters and campaign, these options will make that process fair and avoid making a character overpowered. If you’re a fan of 5e feats, this promises to give you the right toolkit to realize more of them.

Mutants in the Next - Expanding the Mutant Animal TTRPG.png
Mutants in the Next - Expanding the Mutant Animal TTRPG from Julian Kay
  • END DATE: Fri, June 10 2022 11:59 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Mutants in the Now
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $46 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the core rulebook and the sourcebook
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Do you miss the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles RPG from back in the day? Want a modern version that takes the classic concepts and gives them a fresh spin? This RPG is an homage, bringing the concepts of anthropomorphic mutants back to your gaming table. This campaign will create the new 120-page sourcebook featuring expanded gaming content artwork from noted Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles writer and artist, Sophie Campbell. Getting Sophie onboard is a real win for this project, offering an air of belonging. If you’re interested in mutants and heroes, the $46 level gets you both books (core and sourcebook), so you can get into hero-ing in a half-shell or whatever!

Spellpunk Solar  Sunder - Ba'har.jpg

Spellpunk: Solar & Sunder – Ba'har from Cameron Day
  • END DATE: Wednesday, June 1 2022
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $10 for the PDF of the book
  • NOTE: This campaign is on IndieGoGo
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? An elemental apocalypse came and went. In its aftermath, this 5e setting transports players to a city run, in part, by a copper dragon. In this world, you’ll find eight new ancestries, new items, a new magic system with different spell slots and magic glyphs, plus new monsters. If you need a campaign setting that has ties to the elemental planes, check out the campaign page for a link to their preview to see if this is right for your table.
Egg Embry participates in the OneBookShelf Affiliate Program, Noble Knight Games’ Affiliate Program, and is an Amazon Associate. These programs provide advertising fees by linking to DriveThruRPG, Noble Knight Games, and Amazon.

Egg Embry

Egg Embry

Retreater

Legend
TMNT and Other Strangeness was my first RPG, and Mutants in the Now/Next seems so nostalgic - and the art looks fantastic. I just don't know if I want a Palladium retro-modern-clone at this stage in my life. It seems more complex than I'd want in a light game with friends playing mutant animals.
Has anyone tried it? Or read through the core book?

TMNT and Other Strangeness was my first RPG, and Mutants in the Now/Next seems so nostalgic - and the art looks fantastic. I just don't know if I want a Palladium retro-modern-clone at this stage in my life. It seems more complex than I'd want in a light game with friends playing mutant animals.
Has anyone tried it? Or read through the core book?
Rob Wieland reviewed the RPG here. I'm tempted to pick it up myself.

Remove ads

Remove ads