RPG Crowdfunding News – INFINITE REVOLUTION: OVERDRIVE, Werewolf: The Apocalypse, Cottages & Cerberus, and more

This article samples several TTRPG crowdfunding projects that end between October 5 to October 11.

This article samples several TTRPG crowdfunding projects that end between October 5 to October 11. Lots of cozy, anime inspired offerings as well as some new and original systems this week.

INFINITE REVOLUTION- OVERDRIVE.png

INFINITE REVOLUTION: OVERDRIVE from Gwendolyn Clark
  • END DATE: Thu, October 5 2023 12:04 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): An original system
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $55 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the book and rules reference board as well as stickers and VTT assets
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Lightspeed dogfights in exosuits. Graphic design that puts layouts first to craft beautiful, visually engaging pages of information. Striking colors and stunning art. The current trend in TTRPGs is amazing layouts such as MÖRK BORG, CY_BORG, Vast Grimm, Mothership, and Death in Space, and INFINITE REVOLUTION: OVERDRIVE looks to join that conversation. Beyond the artwork and layouts, this campaign advertises a number of interesting features, and I’d love to try out a session. Playing a character shooting through space in an exosuit hoping to defend your planet from the coming alien invasion, this reads like it will be high stakes sci-fi. This sounds like something we can’t quite do in movies or TV due to VX limitations but something your gaming table would have a blast with. If you’re interested in lightspeed battles, check out the campaign page to pick up the quickstart version of the TTRPG to discover if this is good for your gaming table.

MONSTROUS.png

MONSTROUS from Cloud Curio
  • END DATE: Thu, October 5 2023 9:00 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): System neutral
  • PROJECT TYPE: Sourcebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $20 for the PDF of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Do you love monster lore and beautiful art? One part artbook, one part sourcebook, MONSTROUS gives you original artwork and system neutral inspiration. These options make your enemies more engaging, yet are open enough that any GM can use them for any system. Each monster will have a backstory which ties to their motivations, meaning you’ll get a lich whose tale makes sense in the context of their current plot. If you need more monster details for your campaign, check out the free preview linked on the campaign page to see if these are right for you.

Waifu RPG- The Complete Waifu Handbook.png

Waifu RPG: The Complete Waifu Handbook from Loading Crew Crafts
  • END DATE: Thu, October 5 2023 9:59 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition, Pathfinder 1e and 2e
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $25 for the PDF of the book as well as the MP3
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This sourcebook offers a take on the waifu anime trope with 7 ancestries, feats tailored to each system (PF2e has more than 5e or PF1e due to its ruleset), new subclasses (5e), a prestige class (PF1e), an archetype (PF2e), backgrounds, and new cooking and camping rules. Born out of a single-post-joke, this book grew into a large-hardcover-semi-serious-sourcebook. This project takes an anime trope and runs with it and, therefore, it’s either a winner for you or it’s an easy pass. If the waifu concept speaks to you and you can imagine a sourcebook for 5e or Pathfinder characters, then this campaign is for you. Alternately, if you’re a fan of TheLoadingCrew on YouTube, this is worth checking out.

Teatime Adventures- Tea Pets.png

Teatime Adventures: Tea Pets from Snowbright Studio
  • END DATE: Oct 11, 2023 at 2:59am EDT.
  • CROWDFUNDING ON: Backerkit
  • SYSTEM(S): An original system
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $150 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of all four books, GM screen, maps, dice, and more
  • AI STATEMENT: “We do not use generative AI tools to replace human work in any of our products or general operations.”
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This original TTRPG is equal parts tea, mystery, a cozy island, whimsical, and social experience. Snowbright Studio’s campaign is for gamers that want gameplay to be one element of the gathering, not the entire experience. By that, I mean Teatime Adventures isn’t so much a game as a full social event that suggests unique teas to drink, snacks to experience, and friends to connect with before, during, and after solving a mystery. Coming as four books focusing on the GM, players, the setting, and adventures with an optional boxed set and tea, you’ll gather, brew some tea, discuss the world, socialize your characters, and consider a mystery which may be dangerous and daring or as humble as recovering an excellent teapot. If the idea of a full-fledged social engagement centered around your TTRPG speaks to you, Teatime Adventures on Backerkit is worth a look.
The Clockmaster's Codex.png

The Clockmaster's Codex from Lost Spheres Publishing
  • END DATE: Tue, October 10 2023 1:28 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): System neutral
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $14 for the PDF of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? TikTok has a number of GMs offering gaming tips and advice. Many of them have never written for a print book, finding their medium as video over print. But, because TTRPG is born out of print, there’s a reason to open up their work to books and get those to your gaming table. This project brings their collective wisdom and voice to prose with new, original content to inspire GMs as they level up their games. At Gen Con 2023, Christen Sowards of Lost Spheres Publishing shared this project with me. The concept, getting TikTok creators into print, is both ambitious and pulls down experiencial barriers created by differences in personal media consumption. If you’re a fan of GM advice, this project may be for you.

Werewolf- The Apocalypse Fifth Edition for Fantasy Grounds.png

Werewolf: The Apocalypse Fifth Edition for Fantasy Grounds from SmiteWorks
  • END DATE: Thu, October 5 2023 9:01 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Werewolf: The Apocalypse Fifth Edition
  • PROJECT TYPE: Fantasy Grounds Unity virtual tabletop (VTT)
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $45 for the rules for Fantasy Grounds Unity
  • AI STATEMENT: “We use AI to aid in the process of creating marketing text.”
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Working with Renegade Game Studios, SmiteWorks USA LLC obtained a license to create the Fantasy Grounds Unity version of Werewolf: The Apocalypse 5th Edition RPG. Fantasy Grounds Unity is a virtual tabletop, that SmiteWorks USA LLC owns and has experience with. Working through a license allows both companies to play to their strengths. It’s interesting to see the Fantasy Grounds Unity version of the WtA 5e rulebook kickstarted along with the build out of the ruleset. This crowdfunding pulls back the curtain on interest for the digital version of Werewolf. Fulfilling in October of this year, this will be compatible with Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition on Fantasy Grounds Unity. If you’re a fan of WtA 5e and playing on Fantasy Grounds Unity, this campaign lets you back the creation of this partnership and its digital assets.

Cryptid Creeks.png

Cryptid Creeks from Hatchlings
  • END DATE: Thu, October 5 2023 9:59 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Powered by the Apocalypse
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £15 for the PDF of the book and the soundtrack
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Cryptid Creeks is about a group of young, river scouts, friends from a cursed town that have to save their homes. Taking inspiration from Gravity Falls, Hilda, The Goonies, Lumberjanes, and Night in the Woods, this Carved from Brindlewood TTRPG owes a debt to the cozy murder mystery and mayhem of Jason Cordova’s Brindlewood Bay. In Cryptid Creek, you’ll put friendship and investigating town history together with supernatural adventures and original cryptid creatures to uncover the source of the curse and defeat it. This is perfect for gamers that want to play a kids on bikes type of setting, but with boats instead.

Cottages  Cerberus (new system  PF2E 5e support).png

Cottages & Cerberus (new system + PF2E/5e support) from glynnp
  • END DATE: Fri, October 6 2023 9:03 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Cottages & Cerberus, Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition, and Pathfinder Second Edition
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $35 for the PDFs of the books for the C&C system
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Inspired by Animal Crossing, Harvest Moon, and Monster Hunter, Cottages & Cerberus is a cottagecore monster-hunting TTRPG with an original system, as well as rules for 5e and PF2e. In this game, you hunt monsters around your house using their remains to improve the quality of your life. The Cottages & Cerberus system features a Spoons mechanic, based on Spoon Theory by Christine Miserandino. Spoons are a resource you can spend to overcome certain obstacles such as weak dice rolls. Their best line in the campaign is “Cottages & Cerberus is a cottagecore monster-slaying tabletop RPG.” I read that and now I want a cottagecore character grinder RPG! Soft music, fun adventures, and instant death cottagecore-style! While this isn’t a character grinder, it still looks fun. Check out the campaign page for a link to their preview.

Ringbreaker.png

Ringbreaker from Hyperstar Comics (Alan Bahr)
  • END DATE: Tue, October 10 2023 10:19 AM EDT.
  • PROJECT TYPE: Comic book
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $20 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of issue one with all of its print covers
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Alan Bahr of Gallant Knight Games (TinyD6 and Tombpunk) has a comic book on Kickstarter. In a world where dragons are the supreme divine power, the lesser gods are bound, and magic comes from sacred oaths, you’ll follow a fantasy tale of revenge against those gods. With art by Facundo Nehuén López, this comic has a Prince Valiant vibe that I enjoyed when I read the review copy of the book. That’s right, the issue is complete (save for some variant covers and edits). If you’re interested in this comic, rest assured it’s not going to be delayed by the writing or artwork. For the campaign, the goal is $500. The stretch goal is $2,000, at which point Alan believes there’s enough interest to produce a second issue. I like that he’s using this stretch goal to gauge interest in this three-issue miniseries and build from there. If you’re a fan of Alan’s work, this project is worth checking out.

Egg Embry participates in the OneBookShelf Affiliate Program, Noble Knight Games’ Affiliate Program, and is an Amazon Associate. These programs provide advertising fees by linking to DriveThruRPG, Noble Knight Games, and Amazon.

Egg Embry

Egg Embry

talien

Community Supporter
So is the TikTok Kickstarter's challenges an issue of culture clash between the two platforms? Or were they just too ambitious with their goal?

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
So is the TikTok Kickstarter's challenges an issue of culture clash between the two platforms? Or were they just too ambitious with their goal?
It's an interesting concept, but it doesn't resonate with me since I'm not on TikTok - and I don't feel like I need another generic GM advice book...

I think it needed more build up. Christian has a good idea here, but it needs more runway to build up the idea of these creators making the jump to print. My two bits...

talien

Community Supporter
It's an interesting concept, but it doesn't resonate with me since I'm not on TikTok - and I don't feel like I need another generic GM advice book...
Yeah, that'd be an example of the culture clash (probably not the right word, more "culture mismatch" to Egg's point).

Remove ads

Remove ads