RPG Crowdfunding News – Invisible Sun, Reaper Miniatures, Templars & Tyrants, and more

This week’s article offers a sampling of the TTRPG crowdfunding campaigns that end between November 16 to 22.

This week’s article offers a sampling of the TTRPG crowdfunding campaigns that end between November 16 to 22. This week’s article includes one of the heaviest TTRPGs available as well as an original ruleset from a major miniatures company, a Cthulhu-based adventure born from a story written by an actress from Babylon 5 to a roleplaying game designed to improve Bible study, and more.

Invisible Sun- Return of the Black Cube.png

Invisible Sun: Return of the Black Cube from Monte Cook Games
  • END DATE: Nov 17, 2023 at 9:00pm EST.
  • CROWDFUNDING ON: Backerkit
  • SYSTEM(S): Invisible Sun
  • PROJECT TYPE: Sourcebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $45 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the sourcebook (now a boxed set)
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Monte Cook Games’ Invisible Sun has been through three Kickstarters (core, reprint, and slipcase) leading to over a million dollars worth of crowdfunding. With this Backerkit, Monte Cook Publishing is adding a new sourcebook boxed set as well as another chance to purchase Invisible Sun for your gaming table. The campaign states the core game boxed set (the $252 backer level) weighs in “at over 30lb (14kg).” That’s a lot of product for your buck. Invisible Sun is an original game of surreal fantasy in which you discover your character’s origins as you awaken from the false world. Using a propriety engine and a world that is pure Monte Cook, you’ll find something new and unexpected with this TTRPG, a way to explore the stuff of dreams while fully awake. If you’re interested, check out the Backerkit campaign page for a link to a free preview of the system and setting.
Reaper Miniatures - Dungeon Dwellers Roleplaying Game.png

Reaper Miniatures - Dungeon Dwellers Roleplaying Game from Reaper Miniatures
  • END DATE: Sat, November 18 2023 7:00 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): OSR
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $99 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of all three books, dice, tokens, and miniatures
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Reaper Miniatures is creating an TTRPG, Dungeon Dwellers Roleplaying Game (DDRPG). Offering the 128-page Player’s Guide, the 128-page Gamemaster’s Vault, and the 128-page Denizens of the Dungeon, this campaign gives you an OSR rules system that will be largely compatible with B/X and 5e. In an unexpected twist from Reaper Miniatures, there are miniatures. (HAR!) This system allows Reaper to create more miniatures, but design them with stats for their system, which will provide more reasons to paint and use them. If you’re interested in this option, Reaper Miniatures is offering a free PDF adventure on the campaign page to get you into the game.

Claudia Christian’s Musketeers vs. Cthulhu RPG.png

Claudia Christian’s Musketeers vs. Cthulhu RPG from Nightfall Games
  • END DATE: Thu, November 16 2023 5:30 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition
  • PROJECT TYPE: Adventure
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £25 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Nightfall Games (SLA Industries, The Terminator RPG) is using Chaosium’s Call of Cthulhu engine to convert a story by Claudia Christian (Commander Susan Ivanova on Babylon 5, Captain Maynard on Fox's 9-1-1) into a tabletop adventure. Claudia Christian and Chris McAuley wrote a short story in The Musketeers vs. Cthulhu in the Court of King Louis anthology. Since Chris worked on Nightfall Games’ The Terminator RPG, the idea of bringing the short story to tabletop is a logical leap. This adventure adds a few rules to the standard CoC system such as Musketeer character creation, combat maneuvers, and 17th century weapons. Tthis project promises enough crunch to match its adventure. This 92-page book is “produced under license from Chaosium Inc.” and, obviously, the original authors. If you want to bring Cthulhu and Musketeers to your tabletop, this is worth checking out.

Templars & Tyrants- 5E Paladins of Pure Good & Utter Evil.png

Templars & Tyrants: 5E Paladins of Pure Good & Utter Evil from Legendary Games
  • END DATE: Tue, November 21 2023 8:00 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition and Pathfinder 1e
  • PROJECT TYPE: Sourcebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $10 for the PDF of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Need to add more options to your Paladins? How about 80 pages of feats, oaths, magic items, and over 100 spells? This book fleshes out the Paladin and Antipaladin, making each into what they should be, fully realized classes and villains. If you’re a fan of 5e or Pathfinder 1e and Legendary Games, this project offers a dedicated resource for one of the tank classes in tabletop.

Lightraiders RPG Adventure Bible System.png

Lightraiders RPG Adventure Bible System from Lightraiders
  • END DATE: Nov 19, 2023 at 11:00pm EST.
  • CROWDFUNDING ON: Backerkit
  • SYSTEM(S): An original system
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $59 + S/H for the boxed set and deck of cards
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Because religion is a sensitive topic, I am going to be respectful with what I share about this TTRPG and focus on the campaign page’s content. Lightraiders is a fantasy TTRPG system with adventures and a Bible study wrap up at the end of each session. The adventures are an hour long, with plans for a total of 24 sessions. Each one involves many of the elements of standard fantasy while including the use of Scripture; the characters recite verses from the Bible which trigger in-game effects. In Lightraiders, your characters will engage in different scenarios, some battles, some social encounters. At the end of each adventure, you’ll conduct a 10- to 15-minute review and Bible study as part of a discipleship program. Backer interest in this game will vary based on the backer’s belief system, the type of TTRPG they prefer, and typical purchasing habits. I’m covering this project because religious TTRPGs do not often gain crowdfunding traction, but Lightraiders has exceeded its goal.
MANSTERS - The Roleplaying Game.png

MANSTERS - The Roleplaying Game from Black Lantern Productions
  • END DATE: Wed, November 22 2023 2:00 AM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): An original system called Hack & Slice
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: €58 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the book, the boxed set, dice, cards, and more
  • TRY BEFORE YOU BUY: MANSTERS - The Roleplaying Game (Demo) is free at DriveThruRPG
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? In Mansters, you are one of the “Universal Monsters” (with a few extras, too) as you rescue mankind from its greatest enemy, itself. This game is social satire, designed for laughs and revelations. Using an original d6 engine, you’ll play a fearsome creature that’s fighting evil corporations and monster hunters, it’s heavy on the “punk” of monsterpunk. If you need monsters to combat mayhem, this game may be for you.

Era- Dragonsong - High Fantasy TTRPG in a World of Magic!.png

Era: Dragonsong - High Fantasy TTRPG in a World of Magic! from Shades of Vengeance
  • END DATE: Sun, November 19 2023 4:00 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): Era d10
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £25 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the book plus additional adventures, characters, and a city guide
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This TTRPG is a high fantasy option where magic is pervasive and cities float in the sky. Using the Era d10 system (think d10 dice pools), this TTRPG gives a setting where fortresses float and everyone knows enough magic to be dangerous. With a focus on the balance of power, this book will be right for fans of Era d10 games and those that want an elevated magical experience.

Vault of Splintered Souls- A D&D 5th Edition Megadungeon.png

Vault of Splintered Souls: A D&D 5th Edition Megadungeon from EN Publishing
  • END DATE: Thu, November 30 2023 12:19 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition
  • PROJECT TYPE: Adventure
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £10 for the PDF of the dungeon
  • DISCLAIMER: EN World is a subsidiary of EN Publishing
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? For levels 6 to 10, this megadungeon offers 14 floors in a 100-page book. If you’re a physical backer, there’s an option to get a free (plus S/H) poster map. Below the ruined and haunted Mal Takkar lies a dungeon purported to contain rare treasures. The campaign page gives a list of the 14 levels of the dungeon, the 21 new monsters, the treasures, and more of the content you’ll get with this campaign. If you’re a fan of 5e and megadungeons, this may speak to your gaming table.

Egg Embry participates in the OneBookShelf Affiliate Program, Noble Knight Games’ Affiliate Program, and is an Amazon Associate. These programs provide advertising fees by linking to DriveThruRPG, Noble Knight Games, and Amazon.

Egg Embry

Egg Embry

Each one involves many of the elements of standard fantasy while including the use of Scripture; the characters recite verses from the Bible which trigger in-game effects.

All I can think about is that Simpsons episode where Homer fights the giant spider. "To defeat the spiders curse simply quote a Bible verse".

Using a game as a learning tool is always a fun concept. Taking the concept of 1 hour sessions aimed at teaching makes sense.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
An interesting supplement for any SF RPG folks like @dragoner and @aramis erak and of course many others. Too late for inclusion in this column, but 8 days to go so plenty of time to back

Thanks! I was a follower of Rob Turpin on twitter, though like most things that has fallen apart. While not a backer at the moment, I do hope his project succeeds.
If people want to try to re-connect with me, I am also on bluesky, courtesy of Alison Cybe, author of Shieldmaidens:
And am trying mastodon again:

All I can think about is that Simpsons episode where Homer fights the giant spider. "To defeat the spiders curse simply quote a Bible verse".

Using a game as a learning tool is always a fun concept. Taking the concept of 1 hour sessions aimed at teaching makes sense.
I’m legit curious about this product too. I’m not churchy but neither am I offended by it. In particular I’m curious how well this game integrates fun gameplay with pedagogy. I should probably keep my expectations low because educational games (Biblical or otherwise) are typically pretty lame, but I’m holding out hope for some quality innovations on that front someday.

aramis erak

Legend

Remove ads

Remove ads