RPG Crowdfunding News – Iron Kingdoms, Holler, Mutated Monsters, and more

This week, I look at projects ending between October 28th to November 7th. I lead with a campaign that ties into Free RPG Day, a 5e accessory, a pair of projects built around haunted places, and more. As always, this is just a sampling of the RPGs that are campaigning right now and I encourage you to look for more of the great games being crowdfunded.
IRON KINGDOMS- BORDERLANDS AND BEYOND.png
IRON KINGDOMS: BORDERLANDS AND BEYOND from Privateer Press
  • END DATE: Thu, October 28 2021 8:00 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition
  • PROJECT TYPE: Sourcebooks
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $50 for the PDF of all three books
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? At Free RPG Day last weekend (October 16, 2021), Privateer Press offered Iron Kingdoms: An Echo in the Darkness as a sample of their Iron Kingdoms setting. That promotion was perfectly timed marketing. I want to congratulate Privateer Press for providing a free sample of their product with enough time for fans to check out their Kickstarter. For those that missed the Free RPG Day offering, Iron Kingdoms is a world of steam power plus gun powder using 5e rules. Like the last campaign, this one is for three books: Iron Kingdoms: Borderlands and Beyond with 5 new ancestries, 3 new classes, 25 subclasses, and more, Iron Kingdoms: Borderlands Survival Guide offers variant rules to make your 5e game feel more like Iron Kingdoms, and Iron Kingdoms: Shadow of the Seeker offers a campaign to play through. If you’re looking for steam and guns and 5e, check out their page.

Tome of Spell Holding.png

Tome of Spell Holding from Dungeon Bones
  • END DATE: Sun, November 7 2021 7:00 PM EST.
  • PROJECT TYPE: RPG accessory
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £20 + S/H for the box with magnetic latch, tray, and 22 spell chip tokens
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This campaign will create a spellbook shaped box with a magnetic latch and tray that holds 22 spell chip tokens. These tokens are used to count how many spell slots your mage has each day. Dungeon Bones provided product samples of another project that they did, their Condition Chips which were a collection of tokens that can be handed to players or placed under miniatures to denote character conditions. Those, and pictures of their Tome of Spell Holding, gave me a sense of the quality of this product, which I feel is going to be high. If you’re looking for a 5e accessory that makes magic user book keeping easier and looks great on or off of the table, I suggest checking out this campaign page.

Holler- An Appalachian Apocalypse for Savage Worlds.png

Holler: An Appalachian Apocalypse for Savage Worlds from Pinnacle Entertainment Group
  • END DATE: Thu, November 4 2021 9:00 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Savage Worlds Adventure Edition (SWADE)
  • PROJECT TYPE: Sourcebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $175 + S/H for the boxed set, 2 maps, and tokens
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This 192-page book creates a fantasy world based on the late 1800s to early 1900s when mining, milling, and logging were ramping up for the full industrialization of the world. In this game, these operation’s owners are more than dangerous than their real world counterparts, they’re working with dark powers and the resources they’re taking are doing more than striping the land, they’re killing the people. It’s up to the residents of the valley to fight back, reclaim the land, and save their world. Using the SWADE system, this game lets you adventure in a fantastic version of Appalachia. If you’re looking to fight the demonic heads of the first modern corporations, this game is worth checking out.

Mutated Monsters- Evolve your 5th edition campaign.png

Mutated Monsters: Evolve your 5th edition campaign from Dice Dungeons
  • END DATE: Thu, November 11 2021 9:00 AM EST.
  • PROJECT TYPE: Sourcebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $45 + S/H for the PDF and hardcover
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This project promises to build up your 5e monsters. First, the book gets you 120 new monsters for your encounters, 100 magic items, new subclasses, monster lairs, and more. Second, the three decks offer you options to mutate existing 5e creatures to make them deadlier. If you’re looking for harder fights in 5e, visit the campaign page for a free sample.

Goblonia (ttRPG).jpg

Goblonia (ttRPG) from Wicked Clever
  • END DATE: Thu, October 28 2021 9:00 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): An original system
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $40 with free S/H to the US for the PDF and hardcover of the book plus PDF playbooks, maps, and more
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? It’s a version of the Victorian era in which faeries rule the world and oppress goblins. In this 220 book, you play as goblins rebelling against the faetriarchy. You play as a harebrained goblin on a mission to free all goblins from the horrors of faerie rule. If you’re looking for a quirky game with an original system, check out the campaign page for a free sample.

Our Haunt by Jamila R. Nedjadi.png

Our Haunt by Jamila R. Nedjadi from Possum Creek Games
  • END DATE: Tue, November 2 2021 10:00 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Belonging Outside Belonging
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $25 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? In this 100-page book, you get rules for how to play a ghost family haunting a house. The system is a no dice, no masters, token economy RPG in which you tell stories of dealing with the living while fighting off deadlier spirits. If you’re looking for a ghost haunting game in which you’re the ghosts and the defenders, this campaign deserves a review.

Haunted Hill Academy.png

Haunted Hill Academy from Jeffrey Hayes
  • END DATE: Mon, November 1 2021 2:59 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): An original system combining Fate and Powered by the Apocalypse
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $15 for the PDF
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This books puts your characters in a haunted school as they deal with supernatural beings. Designed for two players using a system that describes itself as a little bit of Fate and a little bit of Powered by the Apocalypse, it’s bound to create a unique engine. In this game, you go into the forbidden wing of the school and learn about what goes bump in the night, as well as yourself. The campaign page describes how the system works and gives more details on the types of adventure you can expect.

Aegean RPG- Mythic roleplaying across the Aegean Sea.png

Aegean RPG: Mythic roleplaying across the Aegean Sea from we evolve
  • END DATE: Sun, October 31 2021 7:00 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): An original system
  • PROJECT TYPE: Sourcebooks
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £40 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Aegean is a sword-and-sandals RPG set in a fantasy Greece. You’re part of a group of mythic heroes building a free city that you’ll rule, adventure for, and defend against rival cities and colonies. At 300 pages, this game promises all you’ll need to explore the Greece that never was. If you’re looking for something different than a western European setting, yet still familiar, check out the campaign page. While you’re there, grab a free copy of the quickstart rules.

Level Up- Advanced 5th Edition.png

Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition from EN Publishing
  • END DATE: Fri, November 5 2021 7:00 PM EDT.
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebooks
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £120 + £17 S/H to the US for the PDF and hardcover of the three core books plus the PDF and softcover of the adventure
  • DISCLAIMER: EN World is a subsidiary of EN Publishing
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? I covered this last week but since it’s three books, and from EN Publishing, I thought I’d give it some more attention, specifically the 600-page Adventurer’s Guide. The Adventurer’s Guide gives many of the new ideas created to take 5e to 5.25e with this project. Character creation gets a revision to make heroes more unique with different heritages, cultures, backgrounds, and destinies. Among the chapters, there are new combat rules, maneuvers, and spells as well as knacks are added to the system. Since this is compatible with 5e, this books offers you a standalone engine that is bound to make your 5e games more interesting. If you’re interested, check out the campaign page for multiple examples of the book.

Egg Embry participates in the OneBookShelf Affiliate Program and is an Amazon Associate. These programs provide advertising fees by linking to DriveThruRPG and Amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Egg Embry

Egg Embry

Bein' aam fum Waald 'n Wonderfuw Wes' (Baa God) Virgin-eye-ay, Holler rilly stans aout. Aa injoyt readin' hits Kickstårder page. Aa would fund it, yet aa need ta be in thrifty mode raat naow.

Being I'm from Wild and Wonderful West (By God) Virginia, Holler really stands out. I really enjoyed reading its Kickstarter page. I would fund it, yet I need to be in thrifty mode right now.

Last edited:

Sir Brennen

Legend
Iron Kingdoms 5e. Interesting. Didn't Iron Kingdoms start as a d20 OGL game?
It did, putting out one of the first series of adventures and monster books available at the very beginning of the OGL license. The follow up setting books were great artistically and fluff wise, but suffered mechanically from what was probably a conversion of an original system they had in mind before OGL changed the industry. Their minis game in the same world really took off and is still going strong. During the D&D 4E era, they had their own IK RPG, with a system that borrowed heavily from the minis game.

IK:Requiem for 5E seems much more solid mechanically, and benefits from all the work that's been done related to the setting the last couple of decades.

It did, putting out one of the first series of adventures and monster books available at the very beginning of the OGL license. The follow up setting books were great artistically and fluff wise, but suffered mechanically from what was probably a conversion of an original system they had in mind before OGL changed the industry. Their minis game in the same world really took off and is still going strong. During the D&D 4E era, they had their own IK RPG, with a system that borrowed heavily from the minis game.

IK:Requiem for 5E seems much more solid mechanically, and benefits from all the work that's been done related to the setting the last couple of decades.

Iron Kingdoms 5e. Interesting. Didn't Iron Kingdoms start as a d20 OGL game?
Thank you! I appreciate the quick write up. ;)

The Mutated Monsters one looks interesting… though I am not really interested in any of the card decks. Doesn't look like they offer just the pdf book.

Dire Bare

Legend
I'm sure the Holler designers are aware of this, but mine owners did kill miners sometimes. You can read about the Battle of Blair Mountain, for instance.
Heh, yeah. The mine owners working with dark powers, striping the land, and killing the people actually sounds pretty IRL to me. Where's the "fantasy"? I guess, dark powers in this case means demons from beyond or some-such, rather than capitalistic greed. Same end result.

Ravenbrook

Explorer
I'm sure the Holler designers are aware of this, but mine owners did kill miners sometimes. You can read about the Battle of Blair Mountain, for instance.
Unfortunately, if the people destroyed the "Big Boys'" works as the game suggests, they'd also be destroying their own jobs. My grandfather was a West Virginia coal miner back in the 1920s, but he eventually moved to Ohio to find work there.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases