RPG Crowdfunding News – Tome of Beasts, One More Quest, Seeds of Decay, and more

This week’s RPG crowdfunding projects end between February 8th and the 27th. Lots of good options for gaming tables including two 5e monster manual style books, some unique offerings, and the return of some fan favorite RPG engines. As always, this article is a sampling of what’s available via crowdfunding. During January, I received an unprecedented number of requests, much more than I can assist with between this column and interviews. If you reached out and requested coverage for your project or suggested coverage for a project, I’ll do all I can. However, if I cannot share your project, I hope it finds its audience and achieves its goals.

Tome of Beasts 3- Full Throttle 5th Edition Monster Mayhem.jpg

Tome of Beasts 3: Full Throttle 5th Edition Monster Mayhem from Kobold Press
  • END DATE: Wed, February 23 2022 7:00 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition
  • PROJECT TYPE: Sourcebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $59 + S/H for the PDF and hardcover of the book, plus the option to submit a monster to possibly be published in the Tome of Beasts 3
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? In my opinion, the Fifth Edition content published by Wizards of the Coast lacks for monsters. Not saying the official ones we have aren’t great, they are great, it’s just I would love two more thick tomes of official beasts over and above WotC’s current offerings. But, WotC produces what they feel works for them, leaving room on the table for other publishers, which is a good thing for the wider RPG market. One of those publishers is Kobold Press, and their books are as close to 5e official as a third party publisher is likely to get. Kobold has produced WotC published supplements. They have shared employees/freelancers with WotC. I try to cover monster manuals whenever they drop, and this one is at the top of my list. I point that out to say that if you’re looking for 5e monsters that will feel official, try Tome of Beasts 1 or 2, or the 3rd one coming on Kickstarter. These books are widely available at your friendly local game store in hardcover or digest sized editions and PDF versions are available. If you need more 5e monsters, these will not disappoint. In addition, if you have a 5e monster you’d like to see in-print, Kobold is hosting a contest where you submit a monster for judgment and the winners will be paid for, illustrated, and printed in the Tome.

One More Quest - a dexterity comedy RPG.png
One More Quest - a dexterity comedy RPG from Horrible Guild
  • END DATE: Tue, February 15 2022 5:59 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): An original system
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: €22 for the PDF versions of core rulebook and two scenarios
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Based on the Dungeon Fighter boardgame, this game imports the core mechanical concept of that game: Throwing dice at a target. That’s right, instead of sitting at the table and casually rolling dice, you’ll be required to throw/toss them at a target. Add to that, you’ll be required to act out the event. For example, if your character is jumping a ravine in-game, then you have to toss the dice while jumping to see if they make the leap. Done as a party game RPG, this project is RPGing in a world that’s all humor. Dungeon overlords keep jacking up the rent on their monster minions, shareholder sorcerers dabble in awful potions and office politics, and the inhabitants of the dungeon are a mix of comedy extras. If you’re looking for a comedy RPG that’s more physical than most, this may speak to you.

Seeds of Decay.png

Seeds of Decay from Splattered Ink Games
  • END DATE: Thu, February 24 2022 3:01 PM EST.
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $120 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the book plus a map, multiple types of cards, dice, and more
  • TRY BEFORE YOU BUY: Player options for Forest Animals in 5e: The Woodkin is PWYW at DriveThruRPG
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? With over 300 pages, this book includes modular rules for inventions, contraptions, and forging as well as options to create your own forest species. There are over 30 spells and over 60 monsters plus new classes, backgrounds, and more like an adventure for levels 1 to 8. In other words, this book is a lot of 5e content that offers a variety of options. As for the world, the rot has returned, its evil force entering the world and twisting it. If you’re looking for new rules for 5e, check out the preview and the campaign page to see if this is a good fit for your table.

Augmented Arcana- AR Spell Cards for 5e.png
Augmented Arcana: AR Spell Cards for 5e from MageCraft LLC
  • END DATE: Thu, February 24 2022 8:00 AM EST.
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $50 + S/H for two decks of cards
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? If you want to visualize a spell, these cards along with your cell phone or computer give you the option to show your players holding the spell as it is cast. The result looks novel, the app scans the card and produces a 3D effect above it as if you’re casting the spell. MageCraft have adapted the OGL 5e cantrips and they offer another deck where you can create your own spells. The campaign page has examples of how these cards look in case the concept appeals to you.

Heckin' Good Doggos!.jpg

Heckin' Good Doggos! from Wet Ink Games
  • END DATE: Sat, February 19 2022 10:00 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): +One system
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $20 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the book
  • DISCLAIMER: Pre-pandemic, I planned to share a booth with Wet Ink Games at MomoCon. While it has not happened yet, I’m including that statement for transparency
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Want to play fetch (as a dog), find your human (as a dog), or banish evil spirits (as a dog)? This RPG offers all of those possibilities and more. Built with several setting options, this RPG lets you play as mundane dogs dealing with small neighborhood issues like squirrels while other settings let your dogs fight supervillains or deal with giant robots or the post-apocalypse. The sky is the limit in terms of what you could play as, so long as it is canine. This RPG uses Wet Ink Games’ +One system (Never Going Home and Tenebria RPGs). If you’re a fan of indy games with well-considered systems and want to play an RPG where you are a dog, this RPG is worth exploring.

Architects of the Deep- Book of Zombies.jpg

Architects of the Deep: Book of Zombies from Dren Productions Games
  • END DATE: Tue, February 8 2022 12:00 PM EST.
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $29 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Would your 5e campaign benefit from over 50 new zombies? With the Tome of Beasts 3 campaign above, I mentioned my desire to see more monster manuals and that applies here as well. This book is 90 pages of rotting undead. This is the perfect type of book for campaigns with a focus on necromancers or those looking for more variety in their graveyard encounters.

Delver 4- Resources for the Random-Rolling Referee.jpg

Delver #4: Resources for the Random-Rolling Referee from The Tabletop Engineer
  • END DATE: Sun, February 13 2022 11:59 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): Old-School Essentials and other OSRs
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $11 for the PDF and print versions of the magazine
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Starting at 40 pages (though stretch goals could increase the content to 64 pages), this OSR magazine offers an adventure and more OSR options. As with the previous offerings, this one features over 20 pages of random tables to keep any game interesting. The adventure for this issue is entitled “The Shambling Horror” and is for level 4 characters. Finally, this issue has an article about using terrain versus doing theater of the mind. If you’re an OSR fan, this project is worth looking at. Head to the campaign page for a preview of the content from a prior issue.

Field Guide- Liminal Space.png

Field Guide: Liminal Space from Diamond Recreational Studios
  • END DATE: Sun, February 27 2022 4:00 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): LANCER
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $20 for the PDFs
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? For fans of Lancer there’s this new third party supplement. This book gives players new mechs, 18 new NPC types, and a new station to play on. Themed around being between life changes and choices, this book will add to your Lancer options. If you’ve enjoyed Lancer’s take on sci-fi then this book should expand the experience.

Egg Embry participates in the OneBookShelf Affiliate Program, Noble Knight Games’ Affiliate Program, and is an Amazon Associate. These programs provide advertising fees by linking to DriveThruRPG, Noble Knight Games, and Amazon.

Egg Embry

Egg Embry

Scottius

Adventurer
Highly excited for Tome of Beasts III as I am for all Kobold Press content.

As a backer of every issue of Delver this far I highly recommend it. The creator has delivered a high quality product consistently and quickly. And keeps a constant line of communication up with regards to where delivery of the issue is throughout the process.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases