RPG Crowdfunding News 125 – Torg Eternity – The Nile Empire, The Adventurer’s Prayer, Vindeon, Tegel

For this week’s article, I’m sharing RPG Kickstarters that end between December 21st, 2018 and December 27th, 2018, the last full week of the year. Among them are several systems, a number of D&D 5e adventures, and even a poster to consider. Beyond the content, I’m experimenting with the article’s format by condensing each campaign to a single paragraph quote (with light edits) that summarizes the project while retaining the creator’s words. As with the last article, let me know your thoughts on the format in the comments.

Before I get into the Kickstarters, let’s look at Kickstarter’s February 2019 initiative: Zine Quest, a Tribute to RPG Zines. What is this? If you launch an RPG zine – a DIY photocopied pamphlet that is all RPG and heart – during the month of February, Kickstarter will help to promote your work. For more details, read their announcement here. The promotion is more than additional exposure for your product, it’s a statement that tabletop roleplaying games are a thriving part of the crowdfunding community, and Kickstarter recognizes that. To help celebrate this promotion, Sean Hillman and I plan to share as many Zine Quest Kickstarters as we can at EN World. If you’re dreaming up a zine for the promotion, please contact Sean (here) or myself (here) to share any details about your zine, and we’ll do our best to help spread the word closer to February.
[h=3]RPG RULESETS[/h] Vindeon - A Fantasy RPG by Tom Oden Ahlqvist
  • END DATE: Sun, December 23 2018 10:29 AM EST on Kickstarter
  • SYSTEM(S): An original RPG system
  • PROJECT TYPE: RPG Core Rulebook

“The completed book (excluding addons from fulfilled stretch goals) will contain 275 pages in the standard 21 cm x 29.7 cm (A4) format. Its illustrations and text (apart from the first picture) will be printed in black and white colors, and its cover will be printed in full color. The PDF versions of both Vindeon and the accompanying adventure The Maid of Flowerdale will have sepia-colored illustrations and inlet borders, and their book covers will be in full color. The Vindeon rules are designed to create fast action gameplay with uncomplicated but intelligent combat rules, rewarding tactics and providing clear benefits and drawbacks for each different combat role. You use a d20 to determine action success (critical hit and miss chance is set to 10% because it's fun with high risks and high rewards!), and you use action points to perform actions. Outside of combat, action points are obsolete. Our goal with this is to maximize immersion and acting whilst still maintaining the core element of dice throwing to keep the excitement and uncertainty of the 'roll'.”

Torg Eternity - The Nile Empire by Ulisses Spiele
  • END DATE: Mon, December 24 2018 5:00 PM EST on Kickstarter
  • SYSTEM(S): Torg Eternity
  • PROJECT TYPE: Rules Expansion
The Nile Empire continues the Possibility War started in Torg Eternity. Storm Knights rise to battle High Lord Mobius and his invading legions of shocktroopers. Nile Empire Sourcebook (144 pages, full-color, hardback book) is an expansion designed for both players and Game Masters. Inside you'll find new Perks, Spells, Miracles, and Pulp Powers for advancing characters, an extensive status update for the default timeline, Gangsters struggle to claim a piece of the action, monsters of legend appear across the land, and masked super villains rise to prove their worth to Mobius or take some of his power for themselves, and Obstacle generation tables help raise the stakes and keep the action exciting, and more!”

The Vagabond’s Cyclopedia: an OSR + PbtA Supplement by Sigil Stone Publishing
  • END DATE: Thu, December 27 2018 1:00 PM EST on Kickstarter
  • SYSTEM(S): An original RPG system combining OSR and Powered by the Apocolypse
  • PROJECT TYPE: Rules Expansion
“The Vagabond’s Cyclopedia is an enormous character supplement overflowing with hundreds of new character rules, tables, guidelines, and suggestions on how to play as a vagabond. While it’s designed specifically for Vagabonds of Dyfed, it’s still useful for other fantasy adventure Powered by the Apocalypse or OSR roleplaying games. Vagabonds of Dyfed is designed to emulate old-school rpgs with streamlined mechanics. Vagabonds picks the pockets of greater games: World of Dungeons, Lamentations of the Flame Princess, Barbarians of Lemuria, Blades in the Dark, City of Mist, the Black Hack and the White Hack, and of course Moldvay’s venerable Basic. Basically, we set out to make World of Dungeons on steroids and came pretty close.”

[h=3]RPG ADVENTURE MODULES[/h] Quickstarter; 5E Pirate Bundle (ship, town, & 20 encounters) by Limitless Adventures
  • END DATE: Sat, December 22 2018 12:59 AM EST on Kickstarter
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons 5e
  • PROJECT TYPE: Adventure Module
“A bundle of 5E pirate-themed products: a pirate ship, a pirate town, 10 coastal encounters, and 10 encounters at sea. The Pirate Bundle from Limitless Adventures is a collection of five nautically-themed products. This 60-page book contains: Coast Encounters, Flotsam - a floating pirate town with 12 full-detailed locations, Fortune's Cutlass - Give your players a ship with a crew, Pirate Treasure Map, and Sea Encounters. This book has 138 Further Adventure prompts to aid in your writing! With your help we'll take this classic and improve it with a new cover and original interior art; and finally offer it in print on a wider scale.”

Wave One of Adventure Books for ASA by Robert Hemminger
Avalon’s Solo Adventure system is a way for you to play 5e D&D by yourself, where you get to control a party of adventurers as they seek out glory and great deeds. The system is usable for anyone who has ever wanted to play a solo 5e D&D adventure, has ever wanted to learn the rules for 5e D&D by playing a fully realized solo version of the game, has wanted to play a solo 5e D&D adventure that takes their characters from acquiring their first adventure at an inn all the way up to defeating their evil nemesis, has ever wanted to play a fully cooperative game without a Gamemaster sitting on the opposite side of the table, and just has an hour or two and wants to play a game of 5e D&D.”

Tegel Manor Returns! by Frog God Games
  • END DATE: Sun, December 23 2018 11:59 AM EST on Kickstarter
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons 5e and Sword & Wizardry
“First published in 1977, Tegel Manor is the oldest of “Haunted House” adventures in fantasy roleplaying, and probably the very first megadungeon ever published. The Manor is a sprawling edifice of 250+ rooms filled with tricks, traps, puzzles, monsters, and situations both humorous and horrific. The huge manor house has been the curse of its owners, the Rump family, for generations – no matter how many times they have tried to get rid of it, the ownership manages to come back to them. In addition to the Manor itself, this book contains a 4-level dungeon under the Manor, fully detailed, The Temple of the Frog and the Monastery of Garm, as well as a full length new adventure-The Sanctum of Madness, a detailed handling of Tegel Village, the wilderness area, the black dragon lair and even the pirate lair and tower along the seacoast, all 100 members of the Rump Family are described and detailed, and many even have portraits done, and over a 15 new monsters and dozens of never before seen magic items!”

Lost Hall of Tyr (2nd Edition): Maps and Print Run by Gaming Ballistic, LLC
  • END DATE: Sun, December 23 2018 10:30 PM EST on Kickstarter
  • SYSTEM(S): Dragon Heresy RPG
Lost Hall of Tyr (2nd Edition) is a mini-setting and adventure for the Dragon Heresy Roleplaying game. Dragon Heresy is a self-contained complete game in one volume, and the Introductory Set covers Level 1-5. Lost Hall of Tyr is 112 pages long, in full color and contains a detailed workup of the Viking-inspired town of Isfjall, suitable as either a home port for an extended campaign or a jumping off point for the adventure, rules for overland journeys in the wild north, several adventuring locations, and of course the quest to rediscover the Lost Hall itself, and a bestiary containing all the key creatures from the adventure, including the Dragon Heresy unique stats pre-calculated (Threat DC, Hit DC, wound and control thresholds, wounds, and vigor).”

[h=3]RPG/GAMING ACCESSORIES[/h]
The Adventurer's Prayer - Full Color Poster
by Jay Babcock
  • END DATE: Fri, December 21 2018 12:27 AM EST on Kickstarter
  • PROJECT TYPE: RPG/Gaming Accessories
“A take on the traditional Serenity Prayer, this 19" x 27" poster contains an inspirational mantra for the dungeon-delving adventurer. One poster is $15, plus $5 for shipping to anywhere in the US, $10 to Canada, or $15 for anywhere else in the world.”
Egg’s Thoughts: The poster says it all so, in the words of the great Stan Lee, ‘nuff said!

If you like what we do here at EN World (the Forums, Columns, News, ENnies, etc) and would like to help support us to bring you MORE please consider supporting our Patreon. Even a single dollar helps! This article was contributed by Egg Embry as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program. Please note that Egg is a participant in the OneBookShelf Affiliate Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to DriveThruRPG.

Egg Embry

Egg Embry

I really like the new format. A quick bullet point about the most popular pledge level might be nice, but other than that I really like it. Well done. (The bullet point about the pledge level isn't really that important, I don't think.)

I really like the new format. A quick bullet point about the most popular pledge level might be nice, but other than that I really like it. Well done. (The bullet point about the pledge level isn't really that important, I don't think.)

David -

Thank you for the feedback! :)

Adding a bullet point for the most popular pledge level? Hmm, let me try this (omitting some as this is an example). Let me know your thoughts. :)

• MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $180 plus shipping "The Nile Empire Sarcophagus" - Print + PDF (or PDF only) copies of all books and extras

• MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $10 "The Cyclopedia" - PDF copy
Quickstarter; 5E Pirate Bundle (ship, town, & 20 encounters) by Limitless Adventures

• MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $15 plus shipping "Gunner" - Print + PDF

• MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $40 "I want all the adventures" - 10 adventure books (PDF)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
David -

Thank you for the feedback! :)

Adding a bullet point for the most popular pledge level? Hmm, let me try this (omitting some as this is an example). Let me know your thoughts. :)

• MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $180 plus shipping "The Nile Empire Sarcophagus" - Print + PDF (or PDF only) copies of all books and extras

• MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $10 "The Cyclopedia" - PDF copy
Quickstarter; 5E Pirate Bundle (ship, town, & 20 encounters) by Limitless Adventures

• MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $15 plus shipping "Gunner" - Print + PDF

• MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $40 "I want all the adventures" - 10 adventure books (PDF)

I like that idea, but I don't think that phrasing is easy to parse. I wonder if it's better just to put it in your own words? Maybe something like:

MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $65 for two hardcover core rulebooks

Barantor

Explorer
A summary of the popular pledge level might be best, some of the KSers I've backed have a fairly voluminous amount of items in certain pledge levels haha.

I like that idea, but I don't think that phrasing is easy to parse. I wonder if it's better just to put it in your own words? Maybe something like:

MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $65 for two hardcover core rulebooks

Perfect!

David, Barantor, thank you for suggesting this. I think that'll be a great addition. :)

Morrus, thank you for the formatting, it's a clearer vision. :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Perfect!

David, Barantor, thank you for suggesting this. I think that'll be a great addition. :)

Morrus, thank you for the formatting, it's a clearer vision. :)

That also makes it super easy for us when we play Our Favourite Game In All The World: Guess The Kickstarter From Just The Name each week on the podcast. :)

For those who missed them, the Torg Kickstarter also allows you to pick up a copy of the big box from the core rules Kickstarter and/or the one from the other cosm they did as add-ons. I don't think you get pdfs of the past material though, so that's a good reason to back each Kickstarter at at least the basic level (gives you all the digital material, of which there is *a lot*).

DouglasCole

Explorer
Thanks for the mention! For what it's worth the Dragon Heresy RPG is based on the Fifth Edition SRD under the OGL. If you play 5e, you can play this adventure with little to no conversion. I mean, you should all run and get Dragon Heresy, of course! But if you want a Norse-inspired micro-setting to drop into the wilds of your own campaign, Lost Hall of Tyr (2nd Edition) will suit you nicely.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases