RPG Design - Resolution system

pemerton

Legend
Can you elaborate a bit on what you mean by that? I'm not familiar with the expression.
By "map and key" I mean the sort of resolution found in a normal D&D or CoC module: if the player asks "Is there a <whatever> here ?", or declares (as their character) "I search for a <whatever>!" or "I want to find a <whomever or wherever>!", the GM resolves the action declaration by consulting their notes, including their map and key that tell them what sorts of things can be found where. If the map and key are incomplete, then they might have to use some other fallback technique, like rolling on a random table, or using their imagination to extrapolate from what is on the map and key.

In the context of exploration, or scavenging, what this means is that a good focus of play is on the players learning the content of the GM's notes (ie the map and key), by declaring actions like the ones above that oblige the GM to reveal that information.

Apocalypse World doesn't use this sort of approach for resolving action declarations like the ones above. Some of those action declarations would trigger player-side moves - which might, in turn, oblige the GM to make a move. Others would oblige the GM to make a move, typically a "soft" move. In making their moves, the GM is expected to "think offscreen", but in itself this isn't a basis for making a hard move like "you don't find what you're looking for". A "hard" move like that has to follow from what has already been established in the fiction at the table - not from the GM's hitherto-unrevealed notes or imagination.

This means that exploration, salvaging etc produce quite a different play experience from the map-and-key approach.

I did a short one-shot of 2400 a little while ago. And the rules specified to always communicate to the players if there's any risk of injury or death in a roll and was very clear that if it wasn't explicitly stated before the roll, then it can't happen. I thought that was interesting. I don't do a ton of that stuff in my games. But in that one-shot it came up as one player tried to hack an elevator they were in and had a terrible roll, my first reflex was "The elevator starts falling down!" to create a tense situation, then I stopped and said "I can't actually do that, I didn't specify it before the rolls," and went with a different outcome.

Are you describing something similar?
I don't know 2400, but what you're describing sound a bit like the idea that a hard move has to follow from a prior soft move.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Go with your gut. Get the roughest draft you can to some playtesters (could be your own table). Does it feel right? Keep going. If not, pivot. Perfect is the enemy of done; and let's be honest - your first TTRPG product will probably have less than 200 purchases, of which only 25% will probably play. You can always make more TTRPGs...

kenada

Legend
Supporter
Yes, definitely get something before testers. It took me several iterations to get where I am with skills and dice mechanics in my homebrew system. Sometimes the math says one thing, and then it just feels wrong or crappy at the table.

Remove ads