RPG Evolution: The Trouble with Halflings

Over the decades I've developed my campaign world to match the archetypes my players wanted to play. In all those years, nobody's ever played a halfling.

Over the decades I've developed my campaign world to match the archetypes my players wanted to play. In all those years, nobody's ever played a halfling.

the-land-of-the-hobbits-6314749_960_720.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

So What's the Problem?​

Halflings, derived from hobbits, have been a curious nod to Tolkien's influence on fantasy. While dwarves and elves have deep mythological roots, hobbits are more modern inventions. And their inclusion was very much a response to the adventurous life that the agrarian homebodies considered an aberration. In short, most hobbits didn't want to be adventurers, and Bilbo, Frodo, and the others were forever changed by their experiences, such that it was difficult for them to reintegrate when they returned home. You don't hear much about elves and dwarves having difficulty returning home after being adventurers, and for good reason. Tolkien was making a point about the human condition and the nature of war by using hobbits as proxies.

As a literary construct, hobbits serve a specific purpose. In The Hobbit, they are proxies for children. In The Lord of the Rings, they are proxies for farmers and other folk who were thrust into the industrialized nightmare of mass warfare. In both cases, hobbits were a positioned in contrast to the violent lifestyle of adventurers who live and die by the sword.

Which is at least in part why they're challenging to integrate into a campaign world. And yet, we have strong hobbit archetypes in Dungeons & Dragons, thanks to Dragonlance.

Kender. Kender Are the Problem​

I did know one player who loved to play kender. We never played together in a campaign, at least in part because kender are an integral part of the Dragonlance setting and we weren't playing in Dragonlance. But he would play a kender in every game he played, including in massive multiplayers like Ultima Online. And he was eye-rollingly aggravating, as he loved "borrowing" things from everyone (a trait established by Tasselhoff Burrfoot).

Part of the issue with kender is that they aren't thieves, per se, but have a child-like curiosity that causes them to "borrow" things without understanding that borrowing said things without permission is tantamount to stealing in most cultures. In essence, it results in a character who steals but doesn't admit to stealing, which can be problematic for inter-party harmony. Worse, kender have a very broad idea of what to "borrow" (which is not limited to just valuables) and have always been positioned as being offended by accusations of thievery. It sets up a scenario where either the party is very tolerant of the kender or conflict ensues. This aspect of kender has been significantly minimized in the latest draft for Unearthed Arcana.

Big Heads, Little Bodies​

The latest incarnation of halflings brings them back to the fun-loving roots. Their appearance is decidedly not "little children" or "overweight short people." Rather, they appear more like political cartoons of eras past, where exaggerated features were used as caricatures, adding further to their comical qualities. But this doesn't solve the outstanding problem that, for a game that is often about conflict, the original prototypes for halflings avoided it. They were heroes precisely because they were thrust into difficult situations and had to rise to the challenge. That requires significant work in a campaign to encourage a player to play a halfling character who would rather just stay home.

There's also the simple matter of integrating halflings into societies where they aren't necessarily living apart. Presumably, most human campaigns have farmers; dwarves and elves occupy less civilized niches, where halflings are a working class who lives right alongside the rest of humanity in plain sight. Figuring out how to accommodate them matters a lot. Do humans just treat them like children? Would halflings want to be anywhere near a larger humanoids' dwellings as a result? Or are halflings given mythical status like fey? Or are they more like inveterate pranksters and tricksters, treating them more like gnomes? And if halflings are more like gnomes, then why have gnomes?

There are opportunities to integrate halflings into a world, but they aren't quite so easy to plop down into a setting as dwarves and elves. I still haven't quite figured out how to make them work in my campaign that doesn't feel like a one-off rather than a separate species. But I did finally find a space for gnomes, which I'll discuss in another article.

Your Turn: How have you integrated halflings into your campaign world?

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
1 is not a reason to go anywhere near the danger adventurers deal with.
For a race that's literally braver than just about any other? Of course it is! For some at least. The rest don't become adventurers.
2 that is called being too dumb to live.
So an adventurer.
3 litterally anything else would also work.
But it's racially hafling.
4 every player race has that
But it's racially halfling. The other races don't have it as a racial trait.
Ditto.
Ditto.
Okay. You got me here. I just wanted to make a Princess Bride joke and slipped that one in.
8most groups bad evil characters
But my example was.................................racially halfling.
9 that get bred out of you fast in a world of dragons and giants.
Not if you're a halfling with..................................that racial trait.

I mean, when you get down to it any race has individuals that can go adventuring for reasons that are racial to dwarves, halflings, ogres, orcs, elves, or whatever. We're talking about these because they are RACIAL and appear far more often among halflings that other races.

Faolyn

(she/her)
name a unique halfling-based motivation that is not based on humour for adventure?
Racial wanderlust. And since most gaming worlds don't have natural selection (which doesn't select against individuals, anyway), at least not as a driving cause of evolution, there's no reason to assume that going forth and wandering is any more dangerous to a halfling--who can learn to fight or cast spells as well as anyone--than it would be to a human.

Remember: the gods created halflings to have wanderlust. They didn't evolve with it.

that was not my point, I meant what have the dragons and giants done that is good for non selfish reasons? I can't find any.
If they have a Good alignment, then they do Good things for non-selfish reasons.

no humans are well known for brutally changing their environment to their life style and are known for being rather hard to kill off, it would be a struggle but we might get to the point of building cities, halflings not so much as they are not even built well for anything.
Halflings don't build huge cities. They build hidden, mostly-underground warrens. Halflings are excellantly suited for suited for such an environment.

what most people mean by being human is taught you learn it, if you do not you can end up very odd do you not know of feral children? I was discussing the nature of humanity and thus inhumanity by proxy.
Most cases of feral children are myths (particularly in the cases of children raised by animals) or the result of extreme abuse, and usually a combination of both. Those are outliers. And humans are, quite frankly, born to be human.

so in order to make halfling impactful and powerful, you a) made humans suck and b) removed the nature of halflingness replacing them with a form of a human who happens to be short, this is a counterpoint to halflings just being short humans how?
So because the humans don't have big cities and have a lower level of technology, they must suck? Wow.

Anyway, you wanted to know what made them different than humans. That's how. Is it somehow better if the humans have the big cities and all the other races are low-tech? It certainly seems less imaginative to me.

Do you assume I have a world?
If you run a game, you have a world.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
For a race that's literally braver than just about any other? Of course it is! For some at least. The rest don't become adventurers.
you rarely find things that are particularly edible in a goblin fort that is not in the surrounding area and is also not made of goblins but eating people is evil so that makes it irrelevant.
So an adventurer.
there is a legal difference between something risky and being too dumb to live.
But it's racially hafling.
bored is not a racial trait, it is a state of mind normally solvable in a way that is not high-risk high reward.
But it's racially halfling. The other races don't have it as a racial trait.

Ditto.

Ditto.
when have any of those been halfling racial traits?
But my example was.................................racially halfling.
evil play characters get vetoed a lot so unreliable.
Not if you're a halfling with..................................that racial trait.
wanderlust without large groups and a lot of metal coating you does not work well in a land where everything is out to kill you, magic would help but a magic halfling is just a gnome.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I mean, what makes a Human a better enemy? Heavy weapons? I could take this guy here, make him a Halfling, and he...loses some speed. That's it.

View attachment 254991
In fact, to my amusement, he's even already Brave!
Humans are better because halflings mechanically are a downgrade.

If you use custom halfling stuff, you then also open up Vuman feats which then are greater upgrades.

That's the issue. Lorewise and mechanically, halflings as Non-PCs are just Human peasant Non-PCs but weaker and smaller.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Racial wanderlust. And since most gaming worlds don't have natural selection (which doesn't select against individuals, anyway), at least not as a driving cause of evolution, there's no reason to assume that going forth and wandering is any more dangerous to a halfling--who can learn to fight or cast spells as well as anyone--than it would be to a human.

Remember: the gods created halflings to have wanderlust. They didn't evolve with it.
a) if we stop having natural selection nature would have to be built in a fashion that is unrecognisable to us.
b) they literally were not made by any known god they were found it says so in both MtoF and the super old book on halflings and gnomes so your point fails unless you want to go to 4e for some reason.
If they have a Good alignment, then they do Good things for non-selfish reasons.
I am not arguing that, I am arguing the distinct lack of them having examples of good behaviour.
Halflings don't build huge cities. They build hidden, mostly-underground warrens. Halflings are excellantly suited for suited for such an environment.
so why not make them rabbit people then?
Most cases of feral children are myths (particularly in the cases of children raised by animals) or the result of extreme abuse, and usually a combination of both. Those are outliers. And humans are, quite frankly, born to be human.
fair but an outlier does not make something untrue, the fastest man alive is an outlier does not stop them from being a viable example.
So because the humans don't have big cities and have a lower level of technology, they must suck? Wow.

Anyway, you wanted to know what made them different than humans. That's how. Is it somehow better if the humans have the big cities and all the other races are low-tech? It certainly seems less imaginative to me.
first literally yes, personally I consider anything less than a type 9 civilization an example of sucking and given a type three is galactic I have a very low opinion of all human societies but there are degrees of sucking and not even having one city is very sucky indeed.

secondly, you made them different from humans but switched roll with humanity, not showing their non-human traits thus your example is not a counter to the basic point that halflings are just short humans, why have halflings when I could just add the option to be short for humans?
If you run a game, you have a world.
ah but there lies the problem I do not run games.

Faolyn

(she/her)
a) if we stop having natural selection nature would have to be built in a fashion that is unrecognisable to us.
You mean like a world filled with vicious, intelligent carnivores that regularly break the laws of physics and that don't have nearly enough prey animals to feed on?

b) they literally were not made by any known god they were found it says so in both MtoF and the super old book on halflings and gnomes so your point fails unless you want to go to 4e for some reason.
So? Are you claiming that, unlike every other race in D&D, they are unique in that they evolved?

I am not arguing that, I am arguing the distinct lack of them having examples of good behaviour.
So there are no good-aligned creatures in your world?

so why not make them rabbit people then?
Because they hadn't. If you want to have harenegons in your setting instead of halflings, go ahead.

fair but an outlier does not make something untrue, the fastest man alive is an outlier does not stop them from being a viable example.
But it does mean you can't complain that an entire race isn't as fast as the fastest person, or that the presence of feral children somehow means that halflings are humans, or whatever your point was.

first literally yes, personally I consider anything less than a type 9 civilization an example of sucking and given a type three is galactic I have a very low opinion of all human societies but there are degrees of sucking and not even having one city is very sucky indeed.
Well, that's definitely a you problem then. Why do you even play D&D? There are no galactic civilizations in it, even when you bring Spelljammer into account.

secondly, you made them different from humans but switched roll with humanity, not showing their non-human traits thus your example is not a counter to the basic point that halflings are just short humans, why have halflings when I could just add the option to be short for humans?
Because I didn't want a "race of short humans." I wanted a race of halflings. I wanted a world where humans existed but weren't dominant, or at least don't have huge cities, and I didn't want elves, orcs, or tieflings to have large cities either. And dwarfs live underground so nobody cares about their cities.

You seem to be comparing my halflings to some platonic standard of D&D humanity, as if all game races must be treated identically or somehow "better" than the standard. and that's not how things work. Halflings aren't humans, and one world's humans aren't always going to be like another world's humans.

ah but there lies the problem I do not run games.
So then what's your problem? You're not even running your own game or building your own worlds, so why are you complaining about the worldbuilding.

Remove ads

Remove ads