Pathfinder 1E RPG.net ripping Pathfinder apart

Status
Not open for further replies.

random.brown

First Post
People tend to get personally invested in their game choices, and the internet allows opinions to be stated without the restraint people might normally use in face-to-face conversations.

Last edited:

Twowolves

Explorer
Pathfinder is an evolution of D&D, and D&D is RPG.net's favorite whipping boy. This doesn't shock or surprise me one little bit.

Twowolves

Explorer
I just popped by that thread to see what they had to say, and they had 46 pages of vitriol, hatred, and just plain wrong assumptions. It may be intentionally steered toward negative impressions, but most of that stuff is beyond knuckle-dragging stupidity, it's maliciousness for no other reason than being malicious. One guy was COMPLAINING because fighters got more feats, because he "always hated picking feats anyway". :confused: Really? Really? WTF is that guy doing playing ANY 3.x game then? It's like saying he hates the Spell Compendium because it's full of spells and he hates picking spells.

Hey, Jackass, if you hate coffe, stay the F--- outta Starbucks, genius.

GlassJaw

Hero
Seriously though, I agree with GlassJaw that RPGNet is a great creative resource just like EN World is. I have tons of bookmarks to some pretty awesome idea-generating threads.

Very true. There are a lot of really good non-system-specific discussions about creating campaign, world-building, idea starters, etc.

Twowolves said:
Pathfinder is an evolution of D&D, and D&D is RPG.net's favorite whipping boy. This doesn't shock or surprise me one little bit.

Maybe so, but there is a very active 4E community there.

Liquidsabre

Explorer
I too noticed a distinct difference, not in quality of posts and posters as several good threads can be found there as well as great posters, but in the volume of spit & fury that is often found over there concerning Pathfinder. I was originally thrilled to find some good critical discussion of upcoming Pathfinder rules during the previews as I found it lacking over at the Paizo boards at the time. But quickly I found that the heat of the fervor of opinion often leaves little room for reasoned and useful debate. Now when browsing posts for Pathfinder discussions I often find myself shaking my head at all the snide comments, leering posts, and unproductive discussion. Sad really as I think there is a lot of great contributions over there that is simply drowned out.

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
Sorry, but no. I am all for background flavor and actively encourage it in my games (with various neat little benefits), but an ability that causes you to swim faster for a minute and then drown because you got fatigued is just silly.

I'm not questioning the flavor, which is fine. I'm question the implementation, which is not.

I have seen that complaint pop here and there and frankly ... I have no trouble imagining how to use that ability.

How about for instance seeing your best buddy fall from the drakkar due to a rogue wave in a storm and plunging into the raging sea cursing that the sea god won't take any of your pals today ?

Sheesh ...

Okay granted, this won't be as useful as some other abilities. But only focusing on hatred and fight seems to limitative to me in regards to adventure content.

Treebore

First Post
Its rpg.net, not surprising. It is the home of those who know how everything is and should be. Read their words of knowledge and bow before their RPG greatness. Even facts will not get in the way.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
RPG.net is a nice place to talk about non-D&D games, but the d20 board is a cesspit, mostly due to the moderators taking sides in the edition wars. There's no moderation on any of the +Pathfinder threads, but defending Pathfinder in the - thread or criticizing 4e just about anywhere is grounds for being banned. There are several posters there who quite literally only post to insult or hate on Pathfinder, at one point in that --- thread there were people calling for an invasion of the Paizo forums, and the vitrol against Paizo has literally reached conspiracy theory levels, with some posters claiming that Pathfinder is illegal, that it's at the same level as FATAL, or that people who bought Pathfinder are unintelligent saps who got tricked by the nasty evil Paizo. And again, all of this goes 100% unmoderated, but God help you if you say anything close to this about 4e.

So yeah, no. RPG.net is where I go when I want to watch some hilarious frothing neckbeard rage, because, flat out, it's a less intelligent place then freaking 4chan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads