RPG Survey, What Does It Take For You To Pick Up a New Edition?

Jared Rascher

Explorer
I've been looking at different RPG topics on my blog:

WhatDoIKnowJR.com

Last week I looked at the tried and true topic of alignment, but this week I wanted to look at what it takes for RPG consumers to pick up a new edition of an RPG.

If you are so inclined, please swing by the survey and let me know what you think:

RPG Edition Survey

Next Friday I'll be taking a look at the answers that I have received, and summarizing the responses on my blog. Thanks for your time!

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
25 years apparently. I went from AD&D to 5e. Though for most of that time was not playing any TTRPGs.

But I just don't see myself buying a new set of books for D&D. I have enough material for decades of play for 5e.

If there is a 6e and it is backward compatible and just a bit cleaned up, I might buy core rules, at least on D&D Beyond. If it is a significant departure requiring rules conversion for existing modules, than, no. I'm set with 5e and have a number of other systems I would like to run. I just would have no interest in another version of D&D.

macd21

Adventurer
I find that it really varies, depending on my feelings about the current edition of the game. If I think the current version is mostly fine, then I’ll get a new edition that makes a few improvements here and there (or maybe just if I have the cash), but won’t by a paradigm shifting game. But if I think the current edition is fundamentally flawed, then I’ll only get the new edition if it’s massively different.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I've bought every edition after 1E soon after it came out except for 5E, which I have just been playing a year. I only bought 4E to try it out, but ended up giving away the books soon after because I was moving and knew I'd never try it again.

I noted this on the survey too, but for me a new edition is a "new game" that I will look at - but if I like a previous edition, there is a pretty good chance that the new edition will bring a similar play experience - aside from the "completely re-invent the game" editions, and those can either be much better or much worse.

Jared Rascher

Explorer
Thanks to everyone that has responded so far. I really appreciate it. I'll post a link to the summary article when everything is closed up on Friday.

I am taking note of people that want multiple options for future poll structures. I appreciate the input.

Remove ads