• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RPGNow Sales Numbers Update

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
I'm showing mine in the hopes that others will show me theirs.

These are RPGNow sales only.

101 Arcane Spell Components -- 139
101 Mundane Treasures -- 277
101 Spellbooks -- 270
Construct Mechanus -- 79
In the Depths of BlackWater -- 33

What I'm learning is that the more generic I make a PDF, the more copies it sells. This should have been something I knew from the start (hell, it's obvious when I actually think about it).

The Construct Mechanus numbers have been disappointing. Again, on thinking about it, I can see where something this odd would appeal to a very small audience. I had fun working on it but as of now I consider it a failed experiment.

BlackWater actually did better than I expected. The idea behind it was a test to see how well a printed product would do as a PDF. If it was a better product from a know author (or if I had added 10,000 or so words of my own) it probably would have done much better.

tensen

First Post
City Guide: Coffer of Coins - 152

I imagine Death and In the Saddle are around that number.. but I don't know exactly.

malladin

Explorer
Sorry Phil, only just clocked this one...

Forgotten Heroes: Paladin 168
Academy Handbook: St John's 58
Unearthed Adventurers (Vol I) 35 (only out last week, though)

Interestingly, neither of our other two products is doing as well as Paladin. Not entirely sure why - I suspect it might be that Paladin got 4 or 5 reviews in its first week, whereas St John's still only has two and UA has yet to figure, but maybe its that Paladins are a damn sight more interesting than Abjurers in most people's eyes :).

Anyway, I'd certainly be interested in any thoughts (provided I don't get too badly slated :).

Cheerio,

Ben

PS. Phil did you get my emails back in Jan, only I've not recieved any response...

malladin said:
Interestingly, neither of our other two products is doing as well as Paladin. Not entirely sure why - I suspect it might be that Paladin got 4 or 5 reviews in its first week, whereas St John's still only has two and UA has yet to figure, but maybe its that Paladins are a damn sight more interesting than Abjurers in most people's eyes :).
Well, my Enchanter's are up to 159. I can't wait to see what release #2 does for sales of release #1, i.e. does that "also by this publisher" stuff actually help sales?

Paladins are probably a lot more frequent in games than Abjurers. You should also note that the names vary in descriptiveness. One says it's about paladins the other mentions an academy and a saint, is it about clerics?

Reviews help generate sales. I spread them out over the months so that I have sales spurts through the book's lifetime. (I may send Psion or Simon a comp copy of Enchantment someday for review just to get my 5th review and a spot on the topXX boards at the review site).

Krug

Newshound
Revised editions seem to be popular too. Now Joe you KNOW your book could use a few extra illustrations...

Malladin; you might want to send out review copies to get your books more exposure. Perhaps those who reviewed your FH: Paladin?

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
I think you'll see an increase.

jmucchiello said:
Well, my Enchanter's are up to 159. I can't wait to see what release #2 does for sales of release #1, i.e. does that "also by this publisher" stuff actually help sales?

Each time I've released a new PDF I've seen sales of earlier ones spike. Not that I've done enough of them to have any reliable data . . .

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
We DEFINITELY see a spike in product sales across the board when a new product is released.

And our revised editions HAVE been selling particularly well. Although I think the revised sales of Everyone Else are merely because the product itself made it back onto the front page of RPGnow. This is a product that sells itself it seems, quite popular as long as people see it on the front page.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads