• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RPGNow Sales Numbers Update

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
rpghost said:
Here are some updated customer referal counts... Altas has taken over ENWorld! Free product does that I guess :)

Yeah, but I claim all "Website Referral" options ("well, someone has to), along with "EN Publishing" and, hey, I'll claim all the sales which people don't fill in the form for. Which means I still win! FATALITY! :)

Anyway, when it comes to the actual sales, which are, of course, what counts, I think the list is pretty telling:

10325 ENWorld.org
3680 Atlas-Games.com
2831 Search Engine
2379 Website Refferal
2352 Friend
2188 MonteCook.com
1883 Magazine Ad
1444 Pinnacle Ent.
1434 RPG.net
845 Wizards.com ?
577 Google
509 RPGObjects
386 Web
382 Yahoo.com
354 A Mailing List

Especially if I claim all the "Website Refferal" (who the hell spelled 'referral' like that? 2379 people? I despair for humanity!) entries. As I said above, somebody has to claim 'em, so it may as well be me. :)

Last edited:

Yo Morrus! Watch those 3leete admin skillz...

:)

I think you ment to "quote" my above post, but instead hit "edit" and really changed what I said.

If this was intentional, that's ok, I'd prefer that you'd indicate that I didn't write the above however. If it was just an accident, let me know and I'll repost the original.

joe b.

rpghost

First Post
Add up all the general advertising and paid links and mailing lists and all that stuff that I'm directly responsible and we might have you beat :)

Still, we can worship the power of En World. Why not start a cult? Make them all wear the t-shirts we made!

James
http://www.RPGNow.com

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
jgbrowning said:
Yo Morrus! Watch those 3leete admin skillz...

:)

I think you ment to "quote" my above post, but instead hit "edit" and really changed what I said.

If this was intentional, that's ok, I'd prefer that you'd indicate that I didn't write the above however. If it was just an accident, let me know and I'll repost the original.

joe b.

Ooops! Sorry, Joe! The two buttons are right next to each other. If it's any consolation, that's far from the first time I've done that!

Add up all the general advertising and paid links and mailing lists and all that stuff that I'm directly responsible and we might have you beat

Still, we can worship the power of En World. Why not start a cult? Make them all wear the t-shirts we made!

James

Ah, but you forget the psychic advertising I do, for which you have no method of measuring. All I need to do is concentrate for a bit and meditate on my ki, and hundreds of people immediately log on and buy something from RPGNow...

Now that's a power that would be useful. :D

spacecrime.com said:
Joe... if I may be nosy, how has your Ennie award for Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe affected sales? Have you seen a boost? If so, is it more in PDF sales, more in physical book sales, or about equal in both?

Also, if I haven't said so already, this is a fantastic book! It's well-written, full of useful information, and a pleasure to read. Thank you so much for writing this!

best wishes,

Original Post: The ENnies have helped quite a bit, almost as much as Monte’s 10 review. The reason for that is I think Monte’s review reached an audience who’d never heard of MMS:WE while I think the ENnies helped push a lot of people who were riding the fence into buying it. Since there are more people who haven’t heard about it that those who were debating buying it, I think the review was the bigger sales push for us. However, the ENnies sales are only slightly less than the review sales.

We’ve pushed all the way up to the 5th best-selling PDF of all time (total sales of 760 PDFS) and between our website, GenCon, and RPGmall.com we’ve sold about 250 or so hardcopies. We just sent out our first shipment of books to Impressions Advertising and Marketing, so MMS:WE should be hitting a lot of FLGS shelves very soon. We can thank the ENnies for providing us a retail market. Without them, we would NOT be getting into very many stores as only a few distributors were willing to take a chance on us.

Its hard for me to isolate the ENnies sales against the Monte sales, but my guess is that the ENnies has led to proportionally more sales on PDF than hardcopy, probably something like 70/30 ratio. Once all the accounting is done, however, for us, the ENnies will have created thousands of dollars of sales by opening up the traditional sales channel for us. Basically, the ENnies have turned us into viable publishers that people are willing to listen to (if only briefly :))

But more than just that, I think we’ve been blessed with a group of people who picked up this book by two nobodies and loved it so much they wanted to tell their friends. We sure haven’t done anything right that conventional business wisdom would suggest for a new company to do.

We plan on keeping on doing that. :D We're going for only one or maybe two books a year, but we're going to try our best to make them truly exceptional.

Reply to Morrus:
Originally posted by morrusHowever, bear in mind that the review came first. I imagine that there are a lot of people who would have bought it because of the ENnies, but happened to have bought it already because of the review, so didn't. It's impossible to judge the two effects, because one is essentially operating within the "leftovers" of the other, and thus must be less by definition.

Yes, very true. It’s hard to tell exactly what would have happened, especially because it’s hard to tell what is happening. I also know there’s a group of people who read the review, but didn’t buy, until the ENnies convinced them.

Either way, suzi and I are trying our best to win more of them!

joe b

spacecrime.com

First Post
jgbrowning said:
We just sent out our first shipment of books to Impressions Advertising and Marketing, so MMS:WE should be hitting a lot of FLGS shelves very soon.
YAY! It will be on my shelves, and will be getting a Mobster Recommendation from me. ;)

cheers,

Last edited:

Cecil

First Post
Ah, but you forget the psychic advertising I do, for which you have no method of measuring. All I need to do is concentrate for a bit and meditate on my ki, and hundreds of people immediately log on and buy something from RPGNow...

Morrus, my wallet hates you but my campaign is very appreciative.....

Last edited:

Darrin Drader

Explorer
So it's three years later. I know the industry in general isn't very healthy, but I keep hearing more and more about PDF publishing. How are people doing these days?

Remove ads