RPGs like Penny Dreadful (TV show)

R Karan

First Post
I would also recommend Cthulhu by Gaslight. The low-level grittiness of BRP fits nicely with the theme. If you combine Cthulhu by Gaslight with After the Vampire Wars (for Mythras/BRP) you probably get pretty close.

There’s also ’Hudson & Brand, Inquiry Agents of the Obscure’, published as a supplement for Call of Cthulhu. I have heard good things about it and Stygian Fox usually makes excellent books.

MGibster

Legend
As much as I like Call of Cthulhu, it's just not a very action oriented game. And Penny Dreadful is a television show featuring an American cowboy in London gunning down vampire minions with his six shooter. The OP doesn't want to do a whole lot of work and I feel using CoC would be like trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole.

FATE Accelerated might be a good choice. It would be trivially easy to adapt it to something like the television show. It's not my favorite system, I'll play in game using the rules but I won't run it, but it's an easy system to use and very easy to get it to do what you want it to.

R Karan

First Post
As much as I like Call of Cthulhu, it's just not a very action oriented game. And Penny Dreadful is a television show featuring an American cowboy in London gunning down vampire minions with his six shooter. The OP doesn't want to do a whole lot of work and I feel using CoC would be like trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole.

Call of Cthulhu might not be action oriented but Mythras (After the Vampire Wars) has a wonderful, gritty combat system. As both are BRP-based, they are easy to combine.

cthulhu42

Explorer
Blades In The Dark would be my bet. I'm a big fan of Penny Dreadful and BitD is as close as I've come to the show with an RPG. Might work straight out of the box, or with minimal hacking.

thomkt

Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions. We're leaning towards Savage Worlds with the Horror Companion, but a couple other suggestions look promising as well.

Honestly, I'd use World of Darkness as a base - you got all the monsters in there, in astonishing detail. And then all you need is some more source material for the era, which you can draw from other RPGs.

Remove ads