RPGs like Penny Dreadful (TV show)

To briefly follow up my above post: WoD contains mechanics for a Vampire's struggle with Humanity, for example. This internal fighting is very much like the drama in Penny Dreadful and one of the reasons I strongly recommend it.

The only real drawback is needing so many different books.

thomkt

Explorer
To briefly follow up my above post: WoD contains mechanics for a Vampire's struggle with Humanity, for example. This internal fighting is very much like the drama in Penny Dreadful and one of the reasons I strongly recommend it.

The only real drawback is needing so many different books.

It's not a bad idea, and we're very familiar with it. We're a group that's been been gaming on-and-off together since the early 90s when we were angsty 20-somethings :)

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
More subtle than a pack of naked witches attacking you? :)

I'm having trouble coming up with an RPG that is kind of like Penny Dreadful. It's got to be an RPG where a rootin' tootin' American werewolf gunfighter, Dr. Frankenstein, a British aristocrat, an African servant, and a witch can all hang out and do a bunch of stuff together against supernatural agents that most people don't know exists. This is not an easy challenge.

I'd probably go with Savage Worlds given the pulpy nature of the television series. You'd have to limit the types of spells available to any magical type of creature or player character. Someone shooting bolts of fire out of their hands just isn't going to work for Penny Dreadful. This isn't a perfect match but it might work.

Damn, that is exactly what my game is built for. I really wish I had beta v2 ready for playtest right now...

Remove ads