• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rules bits we already know

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Oryan77 said:
I'm a Planescape DM and Tieflings are my favorite race, but they don't have any reason to be a core race. I don't like the thought of encouraging groups to use them as a common race in a "core" D&D world. Heck, I don't even like them being in the Forgotten Realms campaign :p

Just because they'll be in PHB doesn't mean they're lurking around every corner and taking up all the seats in the shadowy corners of bars.

Inclusion just means they're there as a PC race, but not necessarily common in the populace. After all, PC classes aren't common in the general population, either. Settings can and do assume that races aren't always everywhere.

Brad

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Simplicity said:
I haven't seen a mention of AC stays... I would be surprised if they didn't go with the Fort/Ref/Will Defense mechanic of SWSE...

Oh, I hope not.

I like how they do saves, I don't like that being used for combat.

Brad

Pbartender

First Post
Simplicity said:
I haven't seen a mention of AC stays...

It's from a hypothetical conversation used as example in the Design & Development: Class article...

"My elf fighter uses a spear. I like the speed and the option to go past AC."

Aloïsius

First Post
Pbartender said:
It's from a hypothetical conversation used as example in the Design & Development: Class article...

"My elf fighter uses a spear. I like the speed and the option to go past AC."

AC # defense. Spear beeing a piercing weapon can ignore the DR or armor. But you are still rolling against your target defense to hit it ?

Pbartender

First Post
Aloïsius said:
AC # defense. Spear beeing a piercing weapon can ignore the DR or armor. But you are still rolling against your target defense to hit it ?

Don't ask me... All I'm saying is that particular quote implies that AC is still around in one form or another.

Perhaps a spear allows a character to ignore -- "go past" -- a certain amount of Armor Class. In other words, with the proper Fighter abilities, you can attack with a spear using what would be the equivalent of a touch attack.

Oryan77

Adventurer
cignus_pfaccari said:
Just because they'll be in PHB doesn't mean they're lurking around every corner and taking up all the seats in the shadowy corners of bars.
Then I don't think they should be a "core" race and included in the PHB if they aren't commonly seen around.

Remember, a Tiefling & Aasimar isn't simply just a fiend or celestial half breed. There's more to the bloodline than simply having a demon appear on Oerth and mate with a human. A planetouched race is even more rare on a prime world than a half-elf or half-orc. But Tieflings are "cool" enough that they'll pop up in every campaign more than a good aligned Drow Drizzt clone already does :p It just cheapens the flavor of the race.

Kolvin

Explorer
I've seen more Tieflings in ACTUAL games than gnomes. So I'm not against the gnome making place for it.

The way I see it gnomes and halflings are so close you could easily substitute one for the other.

Hey - what about Tieflings as racial talent trees?

So, your first-level Human ability might be "Fiendish Descent," which turns you into a Tiefling. You could also choose something like "Angelic Descent," or "Elven Descent," or ...

Thoughts?

Remove ads