Rules Compendium - Worst timed release ever?

Tetsubo

First Post
jdrakeh said:
Yep. I believe that somebody who works for WotC has been quoted as saying that this product is intended to be a kind of 'thank you' for all of the 3.5 fans out there. And, as we all know, just because a new edition is coming out doesn't mean that the old one suddenly becomes obsolete/unplayable. Unsupported, sure. But that's not the same thing at all.

*ding-ding-ding*

We have a winner! :)

Tetsubo

First Post
Gargoyle said:
That makes sense, and I'm not sure why I didn't think of these reasons when I first saw it...guess I'm just disappointed it didn't come out a year ago. I really loved the Rules Cyclopedia for OD&D, having all the rules in one book is awesome.

I may buy it for the commentary alone, and as a thank you to WotC for 3e. I've had a lot of fun with 3e, and agree it will be worth playing, just as earlier editions of the game are still fun to many people. Maybe I'll even start up another 3e campaign this winter when I've got time, and end it with a bang when 4e comes out. Short campaigns that you plan to end can be a lot of fun.

I've always wanted a copy of the Rules Cyclopedia. I've just never stumbled upon a copy in any Used Bin. Maybe everyone is keeping their copies... :)

Jhaelen

First Post
RichGreen said:
We still don't know much about what's in this, do we?
Well, updated/clarified game rules and 'behind the screen' articles. It won't contain any lists (i.e. no (prestige) classes, feats , items, spells).

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
jdrakeh said:
Yep. I believe that somebody who works for WotC has been quoted as saying that this product is intended to be a kind of 'thank you' for all of the 3.5 fans out there. And, as we all know, just because a new edition is coming out doesn't mean that the old one suddenly becomes obsolete/unplayable. Unsupported, sure. But that's not the same thing at all.
Exactly. As a fan of 3.5 I will find to be a great companion piece. After all, I will be introducing my nephew to DnD through 3.5. ;)

Thurbane

First Post
Well, at least new 3.5 rules won't suddenly pop into existence after it is published, unlike Spell Compendium and Magic Item Compendium.

I think the timing is OK, but I still won't bother buying it.

Treebore

First Post
Emryys said:
So, the core 3 and this book and I'm good for all or most rules...?

Rules? It sounds that way. Just not a comprehensive list of feats, skills, and PrC's. Except maybe if they are considered broken and new versions are necessary.

I am looking at this book being the "final clean up" of the 3E rules set, and it definitely reads to me as if that is what it is.

Remove ads