• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rules for a 17th century pirate-related game?

drnuncheon

Explorer
HeapThaumaturgist said:
Also effecting repairs on the ship was WAAAAY too fast ... a carpenter with +5 ranks in carpentry and an Average crew could, apparently, repair a Sloop from 30% hp to full strength in less than ten minutes of work.

You should check out the repair section again - you can only do 'battle repairs' if you have 50% of your structure points or more remaining. Once you get past that point, you're into field repairs (or port repairs), which take days.

J

ledded

Herder of monkies
HeapThaumaturgist said:
In OTHER news we ran the first session of our AIRSHIPS! campaign today with the Corsair rules ... ran very very well. The group absolutely loved the ship-to-ship combat rules. I had the small convoy they were with get attacked by some pirates and they loved opening up at 900 feet with the culvern.

How hard was it to adjust the sailing ship rules you used to airships/what was involved? We're starting some campaigns involving the use of airships and dirigibles soon and I'd like to get some ideas to add to my limited homebrew rules.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Well, the ships are very fantasy and I find myself running this game about 1/3 by the seat of my pants. :)

One, I increased the top speed of an air-ship over its waterborne sister by 20%. While there's no logic behind that, it seems to be cool.

Two, I instituted some light Yaw and Pitch rules. My ships are SEA ships that fly. The culture maintains seaworthiness in airships because the nations they do trade with don't have airships but do have infrastructure in place for waterships. This means you can't just decide to run into a 70 degree climb or you'll lose the wind and half a dozen sailors. This maxes out around 30 degrees or so, with some pilot checks. It could get into alot of math and trig pretty quick but we just eyeball it. "They're too high for you to climb to incercept!" or "The pilot screams that the ridge is too high and you're coming in too fast!" Likewise you can't just open up a broadside on somebody if it involves flipping the ship nearly on her side. I give them some play on the angles, but again, fast and loose. In that first battle, for instance, the pirates came in not just out of the sun, but ABOVE and out of the sun, dropping altitude and coming in at a vector that they'd have several minutes of fire before the PCs could wheel to face. Even then, they had to pull a dangerous larboard list to bring the guns to bear early.

((And, unfortunately, I underestimated the effects of PCs on the fight. It takes so long to fire guns that the Charismatic PC (2nd mate) gave a good argument that he could definately run back and forth on the gun-deck shouting orders (and making Cha checks) to make sure almost every cannon shot had his Coordination bonuses in place) They managed to start soundly trouncing my "insurmountable" pirate attack. I gave everybody 2 APs and fast-forwarded to their ... "defeat" ... since this was the SINGLE pivotal plot point. D'oh! I love GT because they were too busy petting their brand new APs to grumble too much ... and it was a mark of honor for them that they'd managed to beat the tar out of my pirates, even IF they had to "lose" to keep the story moving.))

Beyond that the rules work quite well. I might implement some more "blown off course" rules into storms, but so much air combat runs like sea combat anyway (how often do people just hand-wave altitude) that I haven't had to do too much. It's an RP heavy game anyway, so beyond having fun and being flavorful we're good to go.

((Oh, and I've found that the Pirates of the Spanish Main CCG makes for nifty little ship models. Reasonably affordable too. They loved it when I brought out the little plastic ships ... WITH Jolly Rogers!))

--fje

Insight

Adventurer
HeapThaumaturgist said:
((Oh, and I've found that the Pirates of the Spanish Main CCG makes for nifty little ship models. Reasonably affordable too. They loved it when I brought out the little plastic ships ... WITH Jolly Rogers!))

A friend of mine had been collecting those for a few weeks before we discovered Skull & Bones. YAY!

Oh, and I second the vote for counters and ship tiles. If there is anything the pirate genre is lacking in the gaming world, it's counters and maps.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
And you may want to take a look at The Maiden of the High Seas from World Works Games. Though not a very realistic model it has a very real sense of presence on the table top. (Finished it is 28" long...) Hands down it is my favorite piece of cardstock terrain for gaming.

The Auld Grump

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Wow. That's a very pretty ship.

Haven't gotten much into cardstock terrain ... don't have a jet printer, have a black and white laser printer. Much better for lots and lots of documents, but not so good for the printing of color cardstocks.

Hrm.

--fje

drnuncheon

Explorer
ledded said:
How hard was it to adjust the sailing ship rules you used to airships/what was involved?

I think you still have a couple of days to pick up Bastion Press' Airships for $5, which might honestly be a little more what you're looking for. Corsair's your man for detailed oceangoing play though.

J

Remove ads